Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

21 minutes ago, adam said:

The blokes an idiot. 3 leagues of six sides played in the summer months on good pitches would be a good start. Even seen a Worcester fan commenting  on there saying they should remove the first class status of sides like Leics Derby and Durham. Unbelievable 

Worcestershire would be in the group to go with us and Derbyshire if it ever came to it.

• Like 1

It's a bit strange that everyone inside cricket, well ex players anyway all seem to think similar to Pietersen. Is it because they are generally top players so never really relied on the county game to make a living. Even heard Aussie commentary team on the big bash talking about it, and agreeing Thier are too many teams which dilutes the quality. 

also, watched a bit of the New Zealand test match and had my annual wish I lived there thoughts. Looked a lovely place to watch cricket. 

25 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

It's a bit strange that everyone inside cricket, well ex players anyway all seem to think similar to Pietersen. Is it because they are generally top players so never really relied on the county game to make a living. Even heard Aussie commentary team on the big bash talking about it, and agreeing Thier are too many teams which dilutes the quality. 

also, watched a bit of the New Zealand test match and had my annual wish I lived there thoughts. Looked a lovely place to watch cricket. 

There's no real money in first-class cricket. Players are becoming franchise players now. Going all around the world to play 20 (now 10 too) overs for a few weeks at a time. How many players give up white ball cricket to only play red? Only really Herath of Sri Lanka in recent years to my knowledge. de Kock wants to only play white ball now.

The County Championship isn't the issue. Making it 6 franchises won't solve it. The mindset has to be that Test cricket is the pinnacle. Players travel to India, Pakistan, Australia, the West Indies for 20 over stuff; would they go to play domestic first class stuff as overseas players? Playing four day matches in those conditions would be far more beneficial to the Test team but it's not a consideration.

56 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Is Stokes just saying this because Root is still in the role and he doesn’t want to be seen trying to take over ?

Or maybe doesn’t want the pressure of the captaincy?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59838328

The obvious candidate to replace Root is Eoin Morgan. 

Only he doesn't play red ball cricket. Another great effort from the ECB to let a brilliant captain fall away from the job.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Corky said:

The obvious candidate to replace Root is Eoin Morgan. 

Only he doesn't play red ball cricket. Another great effort from the ECB to let a brilliant captain fall away from the job.

It's going to be Root for the forseeable isn't it, Anderson and Broad haven't really got long left and Stokes doesn't want it. So you've instantly ruled out probably the only 4 players (fitness dependant) who you'd happily pick every test.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Anyone watching the Allen Stanford documentary series, I'd completely forgotten about this 😂 

Yeah I've watched it today. Madness really. Looked like he enjoyed himself though lol

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, adam said:

Yeah I've watched it today. Madness really. Looked like he enjoyed himself though lol

I remember the West Indian domestic tournament for the annoying theme song and those bats they used. Also you can see from the archive footage the ECB dribbling over that cash 😂

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

Bangladesh showing how to bat patiently against the World Test champions in Mount Manganui. Both openers scored at less than 40 runs per 100 balls but they put on 43 for the first wicket and 104 for the second. Pretty impressive, away from home against an attack with Southee, Boult, Jamieson and Wagner. 175/2 is a great start in reply to the Kiwis first innings. Bangladesh are beginning to challenge teams in all formats now.

Still going well, good to see them becoming more of a force in all formats

I'm not a huge cricket fan in all honesty, but I have watched a lot of the big games in the past, the Ashes and the World Cup formats mainly.

What I've never understood, is why Root ever made it to be the Captain. I remember a few years back now, not long after Root emerged on the scene when either Strauss/Cook was still the captain, there was a comment by David Gower about Root should be 'Groomed' for future captaincy....Why?

Why would you need to 'Groom' a captain? You shouldn't have to at all, those natural leadership traits should be there.

Whenever I hear him speak, he isn't inspiring, the contrast to Eoin Morgan is night and day.

In all honesty, Root sounds to me, to be a bit 'Slow'. He may be a good batsman, although whenever I watch the big games, I can't recall often where he has stood up and took games away from Australia for example, like Steve Smith has against England.

The 'Root' cause, excuse the pun, of such an horrific tour, is not down to Root...But I feel as though the decision to make him captain in the first place, is an example of the kind of decision making from an authority which has caused this mess.

No Personality, seems a bit 'Slow' and couldn't inspire anyone really, him as captain makes no sense.

1 hour ago, FoxyLeon said:

I'm not a huge cricket fan in all honesty, but I have watched a lot of the big games in the past, the Ashes and the World Cup formats mainly.

What I've never understood, is why Root ever made it to be the Captain. I remember a few years back now, not long after Root emerged on the scene when either Strauss/Cook was still the captain, there was a comment by David Gower about Root should be 'Groomed' for future captaincy....Why?

Why would you need to 'Groom' a captain? You shouldn't have to at all, those natural leadership traits should be there.

Whenever I hear him speak, he isn't inspiring, the contrast to Eoin Morgan is night and day.

In all honesty, Root sounds to me, to be a bit 'Slow'. He may be a good batsman, although whenever I watch the big games, I can't recall often where he has stood up and took games away from Australia for example, like Steve Smith has against England.

The 'Root' cause, excuse the pun, of such an horrific tour, is not down to Root...But I feel as though the decision to make him captain in the first place, is an example of the kind of decision making from an authority which has caused this mess.

No Personality, seems a bit 'Slow' and couldn't inspire anyone really, him as captain makes no sense.

Probably because he was the only one actually good enough to be certain he'd play every test. I don't think he's a great captain by any means though

Edited by Tommy Fresh

2 hours ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

Ravi Ashwin is such an reliable cricketer. 46 off 50 balls to scrape India up to 202 against South Africa. Could be the difference by the end of this test, though the Saffers have started reasonably well in their first innings. 

South Africa have a very good attack, Rabada and Ngidi still only in their mid 20s and Jansen coming through looks a good prospect. Issue is their batting line up looks pretty poor, especially compared to how strong it's been in the recent past containing a combination of players over the past decade like Smith, Amla, de Villiers, Kallis, Du Plessis, Gibbs even the likes of Prince were good for decent scores.

Edited by Tommy Fresh

On 02/01/2022 at 15:46, RowlattsFox said:

I think you are correct. Ali Cook in the Times wrote an excellent article on why the CC should be preserved and how to improve.