Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

Broad and Anderson haven't been dropped. I don't really have a problem with them missing this tour. Need to see what we can do without them and save them for friendly English conditions this summer. 

I don't know much about Lees but i guess he's the next one to have a go. Unless they go with Lawrence. 

Who bats at 3? Lawrence or Bairstow? 

Surprised they've not took Hameed with them. 

I wonder if Bairstow gets the gloves? 

• Like 2

Yeah not really sure what all the anger about those two missing out is. 

When else are we going to get a chance to see if there's anything else decent out there? One is 39 and one is 35!

Be like us getting angry at signing Daka a season before he will really be first choice, just incase it upset Vardy lol 

The problem I do have is no looking at a left arm seamer yet again. Topley has said he wants to play test cricket... this seems like as good a chance as any??

Edited by AjcW
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Broad and Anderson haven't been dropped. I don't really have a problem with them missing this tour. Need to see what we can do without them and save them for friendly English conditions this summer. 

I don't know much about Lees but i guess he's the next one to have a go. Unless they go with Lawrence. 

Who bats at 3? Lawrence or Bairstow? 

Surprised they've not took Hameed with them. 

I wonder if Bairstow gets the gloves? 

I'm surprised they haven't taken Hameed not because of his ability because he shouldn't be anywhere near this side, but because the ECB love persisting with crap.

Root has said he wants to bat at 3 according to Strauss now hasn't he. 

Saw Hussain talking earlier and he made an interesting point about Anderson and Broad essentially hoping they weren't dropped because Root can't handle them. Regardless of the reason why, Roots captaincy in Australia was terrible, coming out and admitting that bowlers weren't bowling to plans reflects awfully on him not them.

Finally if they give anyone the gloves over Foakes then I give up. 

Edited by Tommy Fresh

10 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Yeah not really sure what all the anger about those two missing out is. 

When else are we going to get a chance to see if there's anything else decent out there? One is 39 and one is 35!

Be like us getting angry at signing Daka a season before he will really be first choice, just incase it upset Vardy lol 

The problem I do have is no looking at a left arm seamer yet again. Topley has said he wants to play test cricket... this seems like as good a chance as any??

Seems a lot easier to get a call up for bowlers who perform at county level then it is for batsman. Good to see Lees given a go but there's a couple of others who also warrant a chance. 

5 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

I'm surprised they haven't taken Hameed not because of his ability because he shouldn't be anywhere near this side, but because the ECB love persisting with crap.

Root has said he wants to bat at 3 according to Strauss now hasn't he. 

Saw Hussain talking earlier and he made an interesting point about Anderson and Broad essentially hoping they weren't dropped because Root can't handle them. Regardless of the reason why, Roots captaincy in Australia was terrible, coming out and admitting that bowlers weren't bowling to plans reflects awfully on him not them.

Finally if they give anyone the gloves over Foakes then I give up. 

Do think they've deliberately not taken an extra opener like Hameed to give confidence in Crawley n Lees to give them the whole series to open.

I think there is a little resentment between Root and branderson and it visible in previous comments and now in selection policies. Root has publicly stated they didn't follow orders so there's smoke there.

Strauss spoke alot of sense earlier regarding Root batting at 3 and Foakes will take the gloves.

Personally think the squad isn't totally balanced, Fisher seems a left field Root pick when they probably should take a Left arm seamer like Topley/Payne. 

17 minutes ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

Do think they've deliberately not taken an extra opener like Hameed to give confidence in Crawley n Lees to give them the whole series to open.

I think there is a little resentment between Root and branderson and it visible in previous comments and now in selection policies. Root has publicly stated they didn't follow orders so there's smoke there.

Strauss spoke alot of sense earlier regarding Root batting at 3 and Foakes will take the gloves.

Personally think the squad isn't totally balanced, Fisher seems a left field Root pick when they probably should take a Left arm seamer like Topley/Payne. 

Hopefully they've just not taken Hameed because he never warranted getting called back in really 😂 Crawley I can kind of get he's shown glimpses but I'm not convinced fully and he seems to dine out on 1 good innings a year. Would have liked another player from the County circuit who performed well throughout 2021 in there someone like Libby, Robson, Bohannon.

On Root and the Broad/Anderson debate, Ponting summed it up perfectly during the Ashes when Root made the comments: 

“Whose job is it to make them change? Why are you captain then?

If you can’t influence your bowlers on what length to bowl, what are you doing on the field?”

Sam Cook from Essex would have probably been a better shout than Fisher, but again he's a bit samey to what's already there. Speaking of left armers or lack of does anyone know why Keith Barker never seemed to get a look in? Or is it James Hildreth syndrome from the ECB again.

1 hour ago, Corky said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/60332592

Nice work. Yorkshire are still in the First Division, no points deductions and now can host International cricket.

Basically, no punishment. You can be harder hit by the ECB for producing a poor wicket.

It's a disgrace but i doubt anyone is surprised.  Rafiq must think what was the point?

1 hour ago, Corky said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/60332592

Nice work. Yorkshire are still in the First Division, no points deductions and now can host International cricket.

Basically, no punishment. You can be harder hit by the ECB for producing a poor wicket.

No surprise there then, if this had happened at Somerset they'd be forced to fold 

53 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

It's a disgrace but i doubt anyone is surprised.  Rafiq must think what was the point?

Rafiq seems pleased with the decision, I think he wanted a serious apology and a commitment to change which they've got at the moment.

Still grates that fairly trivial offences in the game has harsher consequences.

The strength in depth New Zealand have really highlights how poor some of Englands test selections have been. Taylor retired, Williamson injured and they don't look remotely weaker for it, add in numerous other players not involved in this opening test. 

Hard to see England beating them in the summer, I also think how comprehensively New Zealand have won here will highlight how far behind we are when we also host South Africa.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

The strength in depth New Zealand have really highlights how poor some of Englands test selections have been. Taylor retired, Williamson injured and they don't look remotely weaker for it, add in numerous other players not involved in this opening test. 

Hard to see England beating them in the summer, I also think how comprehensively New Zealand have won here will highlight how far behind we are when we also host South Africa.

Yes, the Kiwis are a good rounded side, have been for a while now.

South Africa are poor though & l can’t see them being very competitive for some time.

As you say England will find New Zealand tricky in the summer. 
England are rebuilding to a degree, but should comfortably beat SA. 

Edited by STEVIE B

On 19/02/2022 at 08:52, STEVIE B said:

Yes, the Kiwis are a good rounded side, have been for a while now.

South Africa are poor though & l can’t see them being very competitive for some time.

As you say England will find New Zealand tricky in the summer. 
England are rebuilding to a degree, but should comfortably beat SA. 

I don't think their batting line up is that good, but despite almost going for 500 against New Zealand I'd dread seeing our lot against Rabada etc

Edited by Tommy Fresh
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...