Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

5 hours ago, leicsmac said:

As a counterpoint, without Healy it would have been a lot closer, too.

The Aussies were too good on the day, but I don't think there was as much between them as all that given the England batting response.

4 hours ago, Harpenden Fox said:

Fantastic tournament that. Women’s cricket is growing stronger and stronger year by year, and that can only be a good thing 

England have progressed, But that 6-7yrs difference up on Australia playing Allround Profi cricket, as proven huge...

England still stand out after Australia, to the Teams like S.Africa and India...

In football, that Stuck in the Throat frustration, doesn't hang for me, so much in cricket or even Rugby. In both Mens & Women sides...

6 hours ago, leicsmac said:

As a counterpoint, without Healy it would have been a lot closer, too.

The Aussies were too good on the day, but I don't think there was as much between them as all that given the England batting response.

Fielding and catching needs massive improvement. Found wanting when it really mattered. 

2 minutes ago, BoyJones said:

Fielding and catching needs massive improvement. Found wanting when it really mattered. 

Certainly room for improvement, but I'm not going to be that harsh about them losing to a side that has lost two ODI's in the last five years.

Just now, Izzy said:

Glad that Root has stepped down as Test captain. Great batsman but never convinced he was England captain material.

I think he was for a time, however that time has been gone for a while. 

Time for a change and I can't imagine it was easy for him to make the decision. 

1 hour ago, Leicesterpool said:

Joe Root steps down, about time good player but terrible captain. For me the only man for the job now is Ben Stokes.

Don't think Stokes will want it and I'm not sure his body/mind is ready either.

I think they will wait until the new setup is in place before announcing a new captain.

• Like 1

Don't think he was particularly poor as captain prior to the most recent Ashes, with the whole moaning about bowlers and not being able to get them to follow plans. It also seemed to be a case of him falling in to the captaincy due to being a certainty based on form and fitness.

Concerns me a bit when we make our best player Test captain. I don’t remember Botham, Flintoff or Pieterson being particularly successful and worry that Stokes might fail too.

I’d love him to be a success and not sure what the other options are tbh

5 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Concerns me a bit when we make our best player Test captain. I don’t remember Botham, Flintoff or Pieterson being particularly successful and worry that Stokes might fail too.

I’d love him to be a success and not sure what the other options are tbh

Stokes has leadership qualities IMO but I'd be interested to see if he can read the game as well as, for example, Brearley.  He has had mental health issues so the captain's responsibility may not be right for him until he is fully recovered.

Broad is a thinking bowler so if he could transfer that to the game as a whole he could do the job in the short term.  Only problem would be that we'd be out of reviews in the first half hour of the match.

12 hours ago, Izzy said:

Glad that Root has stepped down as Test captain. Great batsman but never convinced he was England captain material.

Most matches, wins and runs as captain of England suggests otherwise. 

Broad short term to allow Stokes to focus on getting fully fit and with a season under his belt; and then swap over next year?

Stokes to be involved working closely with Broad; but without the pressure/scrutiny for a period?

In fairness, half the managerial/coaching/selection positions are up in the air and I reckon a good 8 of the current starting XI aren't (or shouldn't be) assured their spots so could be big changes.

Other than Root, Stokes and as a leftfield shout for me; Wood, when available.... is anyone else truly undroppable? Granted I'd have Anderson and Broad everytime also; but that's just me.. I know others vary. I'd have Robinson/Wood most times too; but it seems very rare we have both properly fit at the same time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The People's Hero said:

Broad short term to allow Stokes to focus on getting fully fit and with a season under his belt; and then swap over next year?

Stokes to be involved working closely with Broad; but without the pressure/scrutiny for a period?

In fairness, half the managerial/coaching/selection positions are up in the air and I reckon a good 8 of the current starting XI aren't (or shouldn't be) assured their spots so could be big changes.

Other than Root, Stokes and as a leftfield shout for me; Wood, when available.... is anyone else truly undroppable? Granted I'd have Anderson and Broad everytime also; but that's just me.. I know others vary. I'd have Robinson/Wood most times too; but it seems very rare we have both properly fit at the same time.

This would seem the most sensible approach in the interim, until at least the ECB pull its finger out and appoint the positions.

While we're having a good clear out I'd chuck Tom Harrison in the bin as well, pushing the Hundred as a cash cow we don't really need.

Agree there are only a few spots secured in the test team at present, love to see the coach get ambitious and bring some fresh blood. I'd love too see Matt Parkinson given a go, he's ripping it up in this latest round of CC games.

3 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

Archer would have been in there as well if he wasn't always injured.