Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

3 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Yeah, I get that. I just think he'd bring a youthful energy and would hopefully inspire the test team to play a great brand of cricket.

I know he's inexperienced and it would be a risk, but I'm all for it.

I wonder who they'll have lined up for the white ball game if they take McCullum for the test job. Wouldn't be surprised to see one of the previous or current Hundred coaches lined up for it, Stephen Fleming perhaps? Could have some good consistency with those two.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

I wonder who they'll have lined up for the white ball game if they take McCullum for the test job. Wouldn't be surprised to see one of the previous or current Hundred coaches lined up for it, Stephen Fleming perhaps? Could have some good consistency with those two.

McCullum & Fleming sounds like the dream team to me.

Just a shame we can't find two English coaching equivalents really.

Cricket coaching seems a bit of weird job to me. How much say do they have? What can they do once a test has started? Even more so, if there is a team of selectors. 

There is obviously more to it, but I think a good cricket coach is probably someone who demands respect and people listen to advice, good man management and someone who as high level of experience. McCullum definitely appears to fit that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

McCullum & Fleming sounds like the dream team to me.

Just a shame we can't find two English coaching equivalents really.

Yeah it's a shame that very few ex-English (or is the problem that our best players weren't 100% English lol ) have gone into top level coaching. Seem to prefer the TV journalism and commentary gigs like Hussain, Atherton or the suit gigs like Strauss. 

People like Trescothick, who I know has done bits and bobs, would surely have great knowledge to share but obviously doesn't fancy that kind of gig. I guess its why so many ex-pros do the t20 and hundred coaching stuff, takes less time and can move around earning millions. 

I can see Test cricket coaching going down a similar route with short term coaches. 

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

Cricket coaching seems a bit of weird job to me. How much say do they have? What can they do once a test has started? Even more so, if there is a team of selectors. 

There is obviously more to it, but I think a good cricket coach is probably someone who demands respect and people listen to advice, good man management and someone who as high level of experience. McCullum definitely appears to fit that. 

I thought 'The Test' series on Amazon gave a really good insight into Justin Langers role as Aussie Test team coach.

Not saying he was the greatest coach in the world, but it looked like a pretty full on job to me and he had plenty of say in things!

16 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Inexperienced and obviously a risk but i'm pleased the ECB have taken it.

McCullum is a big reason for New Zealand's success in red ball cricket.

High risk, high reward appointment.

Really thought Kirsten was a shoe-in, obviously seen something in Mccullum they like.

Big risk for the ECB let's hope it pays off.

2 hours ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

High risk, high reward appointment.

Really thought Kirsten was a shoe-in, obviously seen something in Mccullum they like.

Big risk for the ECB let's hope it pays off.

Reckon Kirsten gives up on the test role now

43 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Not surprised Rob Key has pushed for someone like him. Pretty confident he would have asked Sangakara and Jayawardene if they fancied it too, always raves about them on the sky sports podcasts. 

Jayawardene is a Hundred coach isn't he? Him, Katich or Fleming for the white ball team would be decent.

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

@davieGany chance of changing this thread title to Cricket 2022 please old chap?

I know it's only 5 months over due :D

Kept the 21 for searches.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

We should probably just make it "Cricket" really? Seems weird having a new thread every year.

Bloody obvious when you say it like that :D

Darts, Tennis, Golf, NFL threads for example....

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

We should probably just make it "Cricket" really? Seems weird having a new thread every year.

9 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Bloody obvious when you say it like that :D

Darts, Tennis, Golf, NFL threads for example....

I thought that shall i change it to Cricket?

Is it all cricket?

5 minutes ago, davieG said:

I thought that shall i change it to Cricket?

Is it all cricket?

I think @Voll Blauis right in that it should just be called the Cricket thread. Everything non LCCC related seems to go in here.

Unless any of the regular contributors disagree?

Edited by Izzy

I think McCullum is a brilliant appointment. May not have stacks of coaching experience but has always seemed a very switched on guy and him and Stokes should complement each other very well.

It might not work out, but at least it's a brave appointment signalling a change in direction. 

• Like 2

I guess the McCallum appointment adds a bit of spice & interest to the upcoming series against NZ. 

Our batting can't get much worse, so fingers crossed we see a gradual improvement during the long summer.