Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

10 hours ago, DoveValleyFox said:

That surely has to be one of the great match winning centuries for England, against the world champions and a quality seam attack.

If Root had gone cheaply England would not have won that.

But hes English,playing for England...both he and Foakes did their job ( brilliantly )...

We win..!!! and well...und People still complain & whine...

Its the traditional English way....How we win & how we still have our cucumber  Sandwiches & moan festivals..

12 hours ago, Bert said:

I’m really hoping in Foakes we’ve found a permanent keeper. We’ve not had a decent one since Prior  

We got a little obsessed with the best batsman who could keep wicket. 

Instead of looking at the best wicketkeeper, Foakes is an excellent gloveman and can bat. 

• Like 2

Just now, coolhandfox said:

We got a little obsessed with the best batsman who could keep wicket. 

Instead of looking at the best wicketkeeper, Foakes is an excellent gloveman and can bat. 

When you look at it, particularly at the start of the decade we had Alec Stewart, Geraint Jones, Matt Prior who could all win games for us with the bat, and you’re right that’s what they’ve been looking for whilst vaguely overshadowing the keeping part but if you look around now all test teams want their keeper to be able to score big runs. I really rate Buttler as a keeper but he’s simply not a test batter. 

52 minutes ago, Bert said:

When you look at it, particularly at the start of the decade we had Alec Stewart, Geraint Jones, Matt Prior who could all win games for us with the bat, and you’re right that’s what they’ve been looking for whilst vaguely overshadowing the keeping part but if you look around now all test teams want their keeper to be able to score big runs. I really rate Buttler as a keeper but he’s simply not a test batter. 

What's weird is how long it's taken for them to finally admit Foakes is probably the long term answer. For most outside of the ECB it's been obvious for a number of years.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

What's weird is how long it's taken for them to finally admit Foakes is probably the long term answer. For most outside of the ECB it's been obvious for a number of years.

I can’t fault them for trying Buttler because his white ball form obviously warranted him a try. 

On 05/06/2022 at 12:36, Bert said:

I can see him surpassing Cook. 

Sky have said can he catch Tendulkar but I think that could be a bit too much. Either way what a privilege to be able to watch him bat. 

To catch Tendulkar he'll have to play about 110/120 innings at his current average. 

It's definitely not out of the question. I suppose it'll ultimately come down to whether or not his teammates step up and whether or not he can have a couple of career defining series in Australia. I'm certain he'll fly past Ricky Ponting's record though IMO. 

1. Tendulkar - 15,921

2. Ponting - 13,378

3. Kallis - 13,289

4. Dravid - 13,288

5. Cook - 12,472

2 hours ago, Bert said:

I can’t fault them for trying Buttler because his white ball form obviously warranted him a try. 

Trying would have been fine, but they persisted with him despite it being obvious he wasn't what we needed and us actually having a good option waiting to be selected.

Having said that I think Buttler may have thrived had the top order not been so poor at times, if he was coming in with the team having a decent score on the board he could have played some good attacking cricket with less pressure.

49 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Trying would have been fine, but they persisted with him despite it being obvious he wasn't what we needed and us actually having a good option waiting to be selected.

Having said that I think Buttler may have thrived had the top order not been so poor at times, if he was coming in with the team having a decent score on the board he could have played some good attacking cricket with less pressure.

Buttler is one of the best batsmen on the planet for demolishing the Opposition when a platform has been established. But as you say, he got that platform far too few times.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bert said:

Really ? I think Buttler has been pretty poor as a keeper not even as good as JB - I’m not sure what metrics would stand that view up but I recall seeing Pope stand in as keeper in a session due to injury in Australia and thinking he would be a far better choice than Buttler 

22 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

But hes English,playing for England...both he and Foakes did their job ( brilliantly )...

We win..!!! and well...und People still complain & whine...

Its the traditional English way....How we win & how we still have our cucumber  Sandwiches & moan festivals..

Pretty sure every time I see you comment you're moaning about other people's posts.

On 05/06/2022 at 12:21, Lionator said:

England winning this just means they’ll go into the next game with the same batting line up. At the very least, Brook should play instead of Pope or Bairstow. 

I would give both Pope & Bairstow the series...or First few games

Pope has always been selected, when Coming back from some injury or other,since his introduction..its whether he plays No3 or No6

Bairstow has been hot & cold,but as proved he has a Good Innings in him...again can he refind some consistency at a No3 or lower down..

Both also Cover Wktkeeper...

Got to question the decision to bowl first? If I was NZ I would bat until they are out. Or at least wait for Mitchell to get his double ton. They’ll have 3 days to bowl us out. 

41 minutes ago, Bert said:

Got to question the decision to bowl first? If I was NZ I would bat until they are out. Or at least wait for Mitchell to get his double ton. They’ll have 3 days to bowl us out. 

Hope Mitchell gets his double ton. Good batsman to watch. 

1 minute ago, EastAnglianFox said:

No cricketing expert at all but surely teams now don't even plan on how to get him out, it's that obvious.

You're right. Every batsman is scrutinised by backroom staff to the maximum, some you just don't need to ! 

It amazes me that our staff or coaching experts haven't addressed Crawley's frailties. 

He must be on borrowed time. 

• Like 1