Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

39 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

McCullum's comments yesterday were pretty clear on Crawley. Hes a huge talent and they'll give him time to find his form. Given the number of people who've had a go at the top of the order it's hard to disagree with that - there aren't many with years of runs to be next in line. Compton didn't have a pro deal until last year.

I'm not sure how they can justify not selecting Harry Brook for the one off India game? Even if not in the XI he has to make the squad. 

Sam Hain is another who would be perfect for McCullum, absolutely spanks it around in the short format and scores at a decent rate in the 4 day game.

EDIT: Didn't realise Brook had been selected, good stuff! 

Edited by AjcW

21 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

They'll be no changes for the India game. Is there any red-ball cricket between that and the South Africa series? Or will Crawley just be slogging away in the hundred. 

Three rounds of CC matches in July, which is good. 

29 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

They'll be no changes for the India game. Is there any red-ball cricket between that and the South Africa series? Or will Crawley just be slogging away in the hundred. 

Be a bit harsh if they've taken Yorkshires run machine away for the final two T20 games, just to sit in the stands... 

40 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I'm not sure how they can justify not selecting Harry Brook for the one off India game? Even if not in the XI he has to make the squad. 

Sam Hain is another who would be perfect for McCullum, absolutely spanks it around in the short format and scores at a decent rate in the 4 day game.

Where does Brook bat though? Unless there is a proper curve ball and he opens lol 

I don't see any point in naming him in this squad. Unless they plan on releasing him once the test starts. 

17 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Where does Brook bat though? Unless there is a proper curve ball and he opens lol 

I don't see any point in naming him in this squad. Unless they plan on releasing him once the test starts. 

Perhaps they let Foakes rest up and give Bairstow the gloves for a game? 

2 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Perhaps they let Foakes rest up and give Bairstow the gloves for a game? 

Potentially, if Foakes is injured/recovering from any covid symptoms. But the fact they've named Billings in the squad suggests he'd probably get the nod. 

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

I may be wrong here, but I'm sure Brook started his red ball career as an opener at Yorkshire, however didn't work out so shifted down to the middle order.

I'm not sure I'm too keen on these suggestions of 'dashers' to open however. Buttler, Brook, Malan, etc could all be excellent middle order assets in this new approach, however opening is an incredibly skilled task and can only see them really struggling against a new ball. Add to that fact that England's new approach will be most effective when the middle order are playing against a tired attack and a soft, old ball. We've tried the aggressive opener approach before (Roy, Hales, Lyth) and it doesn't really work tbh.

I'd prefer a career opener who is willing and able to play some attacking shots once settled. Tom Haines probably the best bet from the county game atm.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
8 hours ago, AjcW said:

One opens the batting, the other bats at 5.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 hour ago, AjcW said:

Not sure what point you’re making? 

You're asking why brook hasn't been selected ahead of Crawley. It's like asking why vardy doesn't play in midfield.

There was a good piece on New Zealand and how if they intend to try someone at a strange number in the order they'll ask their domestic side to try them there as well. So theoretically not hard to do but this is the ECB so, I also think there's a number of openers a lot more deserving of a test spot than Crawley.

11 hours ago, AjcW said:

Be a bit harsh if they've taken Yorkshires run machine away for the final two T20 games, just to sit in the stands... 

Brilliant news if you ask me. 

Although if not selected then I imagine he’ll be released to play. 

8 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

There was a good piece on New Zealand and how if they intend to try someone at a strange number in the order they'll ask their domestic side to try them there as well. So theoretically not hard to do but this is the ECB so, I also think there's a number of openers a lot more deserving of a test spot than Crawley.

Yes read that too on the BBC, part of the succession planning process and identifying talent early. Great piece tbf and shows how aligned the game is over there and not money chasing ECB machine we have here.

While I was in Brighton, I decided to pop along to watch Sussex v Derbyshire seeing on twitter it was announced the final day was free. On arrival I decided to take a picture of the stand, headed to the club shop I noticed, I was being watched from outside by a steward. As I left I was then approached by a steward asking why I was taking a picture, I told him it was for personal use only to say I'd been on facebook. I was asked to take my details! which I gave, when I gave them i asked what this was all about I was told, I should have asked permission! as this could be a terrorist threat! eventually I was allowed to go to watch the match... less than couple of minutes later I was approached again by the same steward who asked me more questions, like "how did i know it was" free... of course it was announced "twitter"... then he asked "what i was doing" and in which pointed "to watch a cricket match!" Eventually I was left alone, but seriously was this tad over the top!  taking a picture of sign which said "welcome to sussex" is terrorist threat.

I have wrote a polite email to Sussex, to just clarify all this and to say this probably a little over the top considering, there was less than 100 people their.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
On 29/06/2022 at 17:30, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Odd how the supposed inadequacy of the county game was blamed for our recent away defeats, it’s all gone a little quiet now thankfully 

We’re actually blessed with a lot of good promising youngsters. 

Theyve started producing better pitches for one....

7 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Theyve started producing better pitches for one....

This idea always makes me smile, i can’t believe that Groundsmen across the country have suddenly said “come on chaps we need to prepare better pitches” 

The culture of blame has always been rife in cricket, it’s more likely down to different balls and better weather conditions this year (with the odd exception) 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
15 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

This idea always makes me smile, i can’t believe that Groundsmen across the country have suddenly said “come on chaps we need to prepare better pitches” 

The culture of blame has always been rife in cricket, it’s more likely down to different balls and better weather conditions this year (with the odd exception) 

Culture of blame is there because counties who make no money without ecb subsidies act in their own interest.

I'd imagine root and bairstow know more about the pitches than you or I and both have stated they've been better this year.