Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

29 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Is this a safe space to talk about the even shorter form of cricket being played in August this year? lol 

Have to say I was shocked to see how many games had sold out (in big grounds) on weekends already.

A poster above commenting about 'ECB losing so many kids due to selling to sky'... you're absolutely right but they might just be roping a few back in with the Hundred BBC coverage and sell out games.

Got to admit I didn't HATE watching it last year, still not entirely sure it's needed but found it watchable, mainly due to how into it the players were getting I think (and being on paternity leave lol)

Depends if you believes they are actually 'sold out'. Last year, the Birmingham franchise were willing to hand out any tickets they could to corporate businesses where a big group of office workers could spend a few hundred in beer and food. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AjcW said:

This is the kicker for me, if you watch Freddie's cricket documentary on iPlayer at the minute, the striking thing was barely any of the lads knowing a thing about cricket (or indeed Freddie). Also the stigma about cricket being a posh sport, I fell they've made the 100 look as approachable as possible to counteract this.

Something like this, even if it's only around for 4 years until T20 gets franchised (innevitable no??) could really get people interested in playing and watching longer more traditional forms of the game. 

But these were also easily solvable issues that didn't require the ECB throwing the kitchen sink at a project that's a huge gamble, doesn't benefit the national team in any way and has actively turned off so many existing cricket fans who have kept the sport going in this country despite the brain-dead decisions of its governing body over the past two decades.

The stigma about cricket being a "posh sport" comes from the fact nothing was done to keep/introduce the sport in state schools, and we've now got generations who've grown up without playing it as a result.

Counties have done loads to make T20 and other formats approachable, look at Leicestershire letting schoolkids back into Grace Road for free as an example. And they've had to do it without the ECB throwing its marketing budget at plastering adverts all over crisp packets too.

And as for getting people interested in other forms of the game, the rules are completely different! If anything, it's added a needlessly complicated further factor into cricket's ability to explain itself to newcomers.

• Like 1

Nobody should have a problem with people enjoying the Hundred. My issue is that the competition gets every advantage going and talking heads claiming how brilliant it is whilst county cricket is slaughtered by the same pundits.

The Hundred, for me, will never have true value because it hasn't had to work for anything and come up against obstacles.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

But these were also easily solvable issues that didn't require the ECB throwing the kitchen sink at a project that's a huge gamble, doesn't benefit the national team in any way and has actively turned off so many existing cricket fans who have kept the sport going in this country despite the brain-dead decisions of its governing body over the past two decades.

The stigma about cricket being a "posh sport" comes from the fact nothing was done to keep/introduce the sport in state schools, and we've now got generations who've grown up without playing it as a result.

Counties have done loads to make T20 and other formats approachable, look at Leicestershire letting schoolkids back into Grace Road for free as an example. And they've had to do it without the ECB throwing its marketing budget at plastering adverts all over crisp packets too.

And as for getting people interested in other forms of the game, the rules are completely different! If anything, it's added a needlessly complicated further factor into cricket's ability to explain itself to newcomers.

Made me laugh watching that Flintoff show where he was creating a side made up of kids who wouldn't have had the chance to play. Rob Key popped up at the end, blathering on about this is how we get all kids involved or something, class considering Zak Crawley gets a game because of where he went to school.

Edited by Tommy Fresh
  • Like 1

Getting ready for the world cup but still adds to what is already a packed schedule for England! 

South Africa test series 17th Aug to 13th Sept

Pakistan tour finishes only a few days before they then travel to Australia for a mini-series before the T20 World Cup. 

I guess there is a strong squad depth for all squads, and some won't play in all formats. The other bonus is that they're already in Australia before the T20 World Cup starts... 

I'm not strictly offended by the Hundred, but we've got a World Cup to defend next year and if the current idea of playing domestic 50 over cricket while the Hundred is going on, where do our first teamers/fringe players get any experience of 50 over cricket? Considering most of them will be playing the Hundred

8 minutes ago, StanSP said:

@Tommy Fresh I got ridiculously lucky with my initial guess lol

#Stumple 132 🏏 - 3/8

🟩🟨🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

https://stumple.me

Thought I'd have it pretty quickly after my second guess, but I just had slightly the wrong era. Your second guess is my 7th I think

#Stumple 132 🏏 - 8/8

🟨🟨🟩
🟩🟨🟩🟩
🟩🟨🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟨🟩🟨🟩
🟩🟨🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Edited by Tommy Fresh

49 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Getting ready for the world cup but still adds to what is already a packed schedule for England! 

South Africa test series 17th Aug to 13th Sept

Pakistan tour finishes only a few days before they then travel to Australia for a mini-series before the T20 World Cup. 

I guess there is a strong squad depth for all squads, and some won't play in all formats. The other bonus is that they're already in Australia before the T20 World Cup starts... 

7 T20 games lol 

That's literally the same amount of games we will play if we reach the world cup final 

10 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Good on him. Shows you exactly where that muck ranks in terms of our international players' priorities, even when a decent wedge is on offer to them.

Is the quality of player in the hundred better than the blast? For example, it really isn’t the IPL or big bash in terms of standard, yet that’s what the ECB wanted. 

11 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Another big name out of the Hundred to rest for the South Africa test series .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/62397327

Understand that leaves just 3 centrally contracted England players to play the first fixtures of the 100. 

ECB the worse own enemy flogging the international players to this situation; same day they organise another series

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

4 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

This is the problem with the Hundred.

Southern Brave are going to win this with 30 balls in hand. It's can be very boring and is too slow for sides to change the momentum.

Yeah it's been a bit of a bore fest with a very passive crowd too.  Not the start I'm sure they wanted.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

#Stumple 137 🏏 - 5/8

🟩
🟩🟨🟨
🟩
🟩🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

#Stumple 137 🏏 - 3/8

🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩