Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

Forty minutes until the first ball is due in an England Test match and all the top stories on the BBC Cricket site are about the fvcking hundred. The only one that isn't tells me is yesterday's news about the team for today!

I know the Beeb have to promote the fvck out of this garbage they've been mis-sold but come on!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Forty minutes until the first ball is due in an England Test match and all the top stories on the BBC Cricket site are about the fvcking hundred. The only one that isn't tells me is yesterday's news about the team for today!

I know the Beeb have to promote the fvck out of this garbage they've been mis-sold but come on!

It's literally the top 'live' story on their homepage, have a word with yourself, over reaction.

5 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

It is now. It wasn't when I posted.

Just felt like a massive over reaction about the hundred again.

You're not the target market, that's fine, but walking around West Bridgford yesterday, seeing so many boys and girls in cricket kits (county ones by the way) on their way to a whole afternoon of cricket was joyous in my opinion.

YES, it's not 'proper' cricket, but if it's the soft touch that makes it more accessible, gets them into it, gets it played more in state schools ahead of rugby and football then it's brilliant. I imagine it's saved a fair few parents this summer when planning their days out as well.

It's not replaced anything (granted, yet...) I could just about understand the uproar if they'd put the hundred in the schedule and sacked of the one day cup, meaning counties aren't playing. But they haven't. Also it's meant little old Leicestershire have got to a QF of a cup and discovered some talent they might otherwise not have. 

I know i'm going to get the same old replies, but I think we just need to seperate this competition and what it's used for, and the rest of cricket, and just see how it goes for a few years. 

29 minutes ago, AjcW said:

You're not the target market, that's fine, but walking around West Bridgford yesterday, seeing so many boys and girls in cricket kits (county ones by the way) on their way to a whole afternoon of cricket was joyous in my opinion.

YES, it's not 'proper' cricket, but if it's the soft touch that makes it more accessible, gets them into it, gets it played more in state schools ahead of rugby and football then it's brilliant. I imagine it's saved a fair few parents this summer when planning their days out as well.

It's not replaced anything (granted, yet...) I could just about understand the uproar if they'd put the hundred in the schedule and sacked of the one day cup, meaning counties aren't playing. But they haven't. Also it's meant little old Leicestershire have got to a QF of a cup and discovered some talent they might otherwise not have. 

I know i'm going to get the same old replies, but I think we just need to seperate this competition and what it's used for, and the rest of cricket, and just see how it goes for a few years. 

I just don't think it's too much to ask that less than an hour before an England Test match, the top stories are about the preparations for said Test match? I'd had a look to see if there was any news on the weather in Manchester, for example. Nothing. The fact that players are dropping out of the hundred to enhance their England prospects across multiple formats suggests they think international cricket is more important than a payday...

The positive arguments you're making are all positives that happen anyway at county grounds around the country during the Blast, which has been the "soft touch" to get kids/newcomers interested for years and is available in more locations, therefore more affordable to more people. If the ECB had thrown the same marketing budget and TV exposure at that competition as they have at the hundred then cricket would be absolutely thriving across the country. You wouldn't be able to escape it!

As for your point about Leicestershire, we've also lost some of our best players too (not to the same degree as others, granted, but the ones we've lost are hardly getting much game time in) - and the short-term gain of possible success is somewhat massively overshadowed by the long-term fear we won't have a club to support in a few years if the powers that be keep believing in the rhetoric about the county structure being the issue and making the hundred their top priority (it clearly is, given we're even shafting The Ashes for the cause now).

As for separating what this competition is used for from the rest of cricket, that's an absolutely nonsense strategy. T20 was different to a degree, but it was always recognisable in terms of the rules, teams playing and venues where it could be watched. Some old duffers mightn't like it, but most of them could at least see its value as a gateway to the sport for newcomers and a way for people who work full-time to see more of the county they support too. This is so alien to so many English cricket supporters that you just feel like you're not wanted, like the ECB think can do it without you trying to help by dragging non-cricket mates to games and spreading the word about what a brilliant sport it is, like all they need is to throw cash at it centrally and it'll stick. You feel like your place as a lover of the game who's passionate about helping it grow and thrive is totally devalued.

As you point out, we've no choice but to "just see how it goes" now because the horse has bolted, but that doesn't mean we have to lend our support to it if we don't think it's the totally amazing thing the commentators constantly feel the need to tell us it is (always a bit of a giveaway that it might not be all that, by the way).

If that's just a "same old reply" then so be it. To me, this competition is illogical, unnecessary, profligate and ultimately a danger to cricket in England.

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 3

Crawley and Lees are the worst pair to open for England since the last lot ( Burns and Sibley :dry:)

Actually despite an unconvincing batting technique , Burns did compile some decent scores and could generally be relied on to see some of the shine off the new ball ; Crawley’s selection is playing with 10 

34 minutes ago, AjcW said:

They could have just thrown the cash at marketing and rebranding the existing 20/20 competition. It would also be far more inclusive, they've based teams in cities where they already host international cricket so there's already a draw for kids to attend anyway. But how many kids from Northants lets say are going to easily attend a hundred match?

Also quick point, they haven't sacked off the one day cup but they've ensured the best players aren't playing in it.

• Like 1

Just now, surrifox said:

Crawley and Lees are the worst pair to open for England since the last lot ( Burns and Sibley :dry:)

Actually despite an unconvincing batting technique , Burns did compile some decent scores and could generally be relied on to see some of the shine off the new ball ; Crawley’s selection is playing with 10 

Burns had performed at County level as had Sibley, Lees has also to an extent although I don't think he's up to this level. Crawley being selected at any point is bemusing.

3 hours ago, AjcW said:

What you describe sounds a lot like 20/20 in it’s early days. 

As for 1 day trophy it’s a fall back for the 100 but counties have had as little 8 days play at home aka income for nearly two months 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

As for 1 day trophy it’s a fall back for the 100 but counties have had as little 8 days play at home aka income for nearly two months 

I might be completely wrong but wasn't it agreed the 100 income is shared between counties to offset this loss?

2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Also yes, precisely, and a hell of a lot more kids played cricket as a result, meaning a lot more talent has been discovered.

2 minutes ago, trabuch said:

I've had 4 days of cricket in Hove in August. How is that good for the game?

I'm not saying they haven't made mistakes. That's clearly not good enough.

Seemingly the only reason Sussex, Kent, Essex have all been bundled into a london team is because none of them have a big ground, that needs to be fixed and an alternative venue looked at in that area for upcoming versions of the 100. Or just be okay at one of the venues being a bit more traditional.

23 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I'm not saying they haven't made mistakes. That's clearly not good enough.

Seemingly the only reason Sussex, Kent, Essex have all been bundled into a london team is because none of them have a big ground, that needs to be fixed and an alternative venue looked at in that area for upcoming versions of the 100. Or just be okay at one of the venues being a bit more traditional.

We'll get a fifth day on Tuesday for the RLC. And it will be a crowd of several thousand I expect. But you won't know much about it unless you look hard. I expect the same will go for Friday for Leics. The lack of publicity for the county formats annoys me as much as anything. The blast wasn't so well attended this year, but there wasn't much talk of it compared to previous years.

Anyway - nice to see England doing well. But this isn't great test cricket.

Edited by trabuch
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

What is it with us and tailenders?

I have a 'possibly shit' theory. As it's happening in a lot of formats of the game, county and international.

Top order are getting out quickly trying to be expansive, massive shots etc, less focus on the basics/defence/leaves.

Tailend have never evolved to pinch hit, play t20 style, they still focus on just occupying an end, blocking balls, leaves etc etc. 

These low scores that are held together by lower order batsmen are becoming too common for there not to be something in this theory.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AjcW said:

Except we can't. The Hundred is dictating the game and the schedule. The ECB, it should be noted, arranged extra ODI's in the first version of the T20 Cup, thereby denying England players the chance to play in it. Now it is arranging the Test schedule around this event from next year, let alone the domestic one, to get England players involved.

I know you've heard it before but unfortunately it will keep being repeated whilst it continues to get every advantage going.