Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

3 hours ago, Raj said:

Always the indians innit...🙄🙄🙄😃

No, absolutely not. I've posted about how I felt this was a disappointing end to the game. No rules were broken. India won the series fair and square. Hermanpreet Kaur is outstanding, and Smriti Mandhana is a fabulous batter (she and England's Alice Capsey time the ball like a dream). India supporters at Lords yesterday were wonderful. It was a glorious atmosphere.

But I still think it was disappointing end to finish a game, regardless of whether it was involving an Indian, An Aussie, an English(wo)man or someone from the local under 15s.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Wasn't she just taking the mick a little bit? 

Maybe, but if she can make light of it, I don't see why everyone else needs to take it so seriously. 

11 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Can't speak for anyone else but race doesn't come into it for me. It's just poor form to Mankad someone without at least warning them first, especially as it was the final wicket and robbed the fans of a dramatic finish. If the batter ignores the warning, then go ahead, Mankad them.

Why does the warning need to be given? Genuine question, not trying to be obtuse or awkward. 

In a similar vein, you wouldn't tell the batsman on strike what kind of ball you're lining up to bowl. 

8 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Maybe, but if she can make light of it, I don't see why everyone else needs to take it so seriously. 

Why does the warning need to be given? Genuine question, not trying to be obtuse or awkward. 

In a similar vein, you wouldn't tell the batsman on strike what kind of ball you're lining up to bowl. 

My points more you were using it to try and prove a point about people not discussing it, but it seemed pretty obvious she was taking the p***.

35 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Because it's more sporting, and it means the batter will stay in their ground from now on, and the bowler can now concentrate on winning the game without having to resort to something as desperate as a Mankad.

Here's Kath Brunt showing how it should be done. Warn the non-striker first. Probably cost England the game by not going through with it but at least the game was decided by playing proper cricket.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Because it's more sporting, and it means the batter will stay in their ground from now on, and the bowler can now concentrate on winning the game without having to resort to something as desperate as a Mankad.

Here's Kath Brunt showing how it should be done. Warn the non-striker first. Probably cost England the game by not going through with it but at least the game was decided by playing proper cricket.

Why is it “unsporting” to do a mankad but not “unsporting” to start walking out your crease when the bowler bowls so you have a head start on any potential run?

I’ve never understood why the Mankad is so frowned upon when it’s the batsman who is the one trying to bend the rules to gain an advantage by trying to get a head start on a run, not the bowler. The bowler is the one just following otherwise standard run out rules.

If the batsman up the other end is stumped, it’s considered their own fault for going out of their crease, yet it isn’t up the bowlers end?

I’ve just never got it. Mankad should be done much more, it would stop batsman cheating by trying to get a head start on their run so much.

Edited by Sampson

2 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Why is it “unsporting” to do a mankad but not “unsporting” to start walking out your crease when the bowler bowls so you have a head start on any potential run?

I’ve never understood why the Mankad is so frowned upon when it’s the batsman who is the one trying to bend the rules to gain an advantage by trying to get a head start on a run, not the bowler. The bowler is the one just following otherwise standard run out rules.

If the batsman up the other end is stumped, it’s considered their own fault for going out of their crease, yet it isn’t up the bowlers end?

I’ve just never got it. Mankad should be done much more, it would stop batsman cheating by trying to get a head start on their run so much.

You are correct. It is unsporting for the non-striker to leave the crease early. So you warn them that you will Mankad them if they keep doing it. Problem solved. Get on with the game.

10 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I don't see it as a sign of desperation. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

You are correct. It is unsporting for the non-striker to leave the crease early. So you warn them that you will Mankad them if they keep doing it. Problem solved. Get on with the game.

Why? You don’t warn a player running between the wickets before you run them out or a batsman on the strike end before a stumping.

They’ve essentially started trying to run at the non-striking end, it should be totally fair game to stump them, just as it is the batsman up the other end.

15 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Why? You don’t warn a player running between the wickets before you run them out or a batsman on the strike end before a stumping.

They’ve essentially started trying to run at the non-striking end, it should be totally fair game to stump them, just as it is the batsman up the other end.

You're on a level with Babe Ruth if you can call a regulation run-out or stumping before they happen and then enact it.

4 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Wasn't she just taking the mick a little bit? 

Thats exactly how I saw it. How bloody biased to see it interpreted the other way though huh!?

6 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

Those disgusted now will be silent then no doubt.

This can very easily be said vice versa, you know that right?

17 hours ago, Raj said:

LOL oh dear @Bert thought you were better than this pal!!!

Didnt india win 3-0 anyway?

Even if they let England win it would have been a 2-1 series defeat?

Maybe England should look at what they should do to win!!

Dont see why everyone is crying about it.

It's not breaking any rules?

You’re right mate it’s not breaking any rules. Just not within the spirit of the game. Sporting integrity and all that. 

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
On 25/09/2022 at 18:09, StanSP said:

Also, I see Charlie Dean (the player that was on the receiving end yesterday) went to mankad someone today and there's absolutely nothing in here about it lol lol

Because she did it as a joke? She didn't actually do it.

2 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Jennings is surely getting a recall, or does he have to average 30 and play for Kent

Still have doubts about him against high quality seam bowling, I think there are others I would give a shot first. Admittedly he has had an outstanding season though.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 hour ago, Raj said:

Just couldn't resist a dig could you........

Regardless of it being within the rules (they should ban it but I get why they havent although i think theres a way around it if they legally emforced two warningd prior), its a shit way to finish a game.

I was always taught you only use it as a warming and it's never really been a thing since I've been watching cricket bar the odd use.

They would have won the game anyway so I don't get the use of it. Its as bad as bowling underarm in my opinion which they outlawed after 1981.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
9 hours ago, Harpenden Fox said:

He averages something like 75 this season. Absolutely deserves the Pakistan series in December. I think I’d bring him in for Lees.

I'd give duckett a go against spin and leave Crawley in.

16 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Regardless of it being within the rules (they should ban it but I get why they havent although i think theres a way around it if they legally emforced two warningd prior), its a shit way to finish a game.

I was always taught you only use it as a warming and it's never really been a thing since I've been watching cricket bar the odd use.

They would have won the game anyway so I don't get the use of it. Its as bad as bowling underarm in my opinion which they outlawed after 1981.

England's captain Heather Knight even said you don't need to give a warning to the player. 

I think it's fair to keep it in the game - otherwise you'd see non-strikers halfway up the pitch with no potential consequence which would be unfair to the bowling side and give too much of an advantage.