Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

On 05/01/2023 at 11:50, Tommy Fresh said:

Yeah it was, also agree it's the correct call, I think it caused a bit more controversy then other similar catches because Silk was going so well and it was a pretty tight match. 

Agreed that it was the correct decision but it did make me think…

What’s stopping someone from positioning themselves right behind the rope (if there’s space) when the ball is hit towards them and then jumping at the second the catch is made. They would technically be in the air but it seems a bit unfair that their starting position is well behind the rope.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Samu said:

Agreed that it was the correct decision but it did make me think…

What’s stopping someone from positioning themselves right behind the rope (if there’s space) when the ball is hit towards them and then jumping at the second the catch is made. They would technically be in the air but it seems a bit unfair that their starting position is well behind the rope.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure, but I'm relatively certain that first contact with the ball has to be inside the rope. That's what makes the catch legal. 

It's actually a really interesting debate. I get that it's out by all laws of the game, however for me that doesn't look quite right and should not be allowed. It will probably spark a law change of some kind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Osavo said:

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure, but I'm relatively certain that first contact with the ball has to be inside the rope. That's what makes the catch legal. 

It's actually a really interesting debate. I get that it's out by all laws of the game, however for me that doesn't look quite right and should not be allowed. It will probably spark a law change of some kind.

Thank you, this is very helpful to explain it!

Agreed, it’s really interesting because while I understand why the catch was given, it didn’t seem right that he was basically standing a foot or two beyond the rope and the catch stood.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Osavo said:

Pretty sure you're only considered a 'live' fielder if you're inside the boundary when the ball's bowled?

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

South Africa are so poor 

Their bowling is mostly good, but their batting is paper thin.

That being said, Australia in Australia look especially formidable. They'll certainly be a challenge for England's new playing style come the Ashes.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Their bowling is mostly good, but their batting is paper thin.

That being said, Australia in Australia look especially formidable. They'll certainly be a challenge for England's new playing style come the Ashes.

Yeah despite being battered their bowling attack will trouble most teams. Batting however, that line up is awful

• Like 1

Anyone else find it ironic that the IPL owners and team owners have funded the SA20, but Indian players aren't allowed to take part :dunno:.

They've even got their franchise names in the new comp. 'Mumbai Indians Cape Town' makes no sense lol

Their squad is probably the best though, mind. Brevis, Curran, Rashid Khan, Livingstone, Rabada, Van der Dussen and Jofra Archer app part of it. 

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Anyone else find it ironic that the IPL owners and team owners have funded the SA20, but Indian players aren't allowed to take part :dunno:.

They've even got their franchise names in the new comp. 'Mumbai Indians Cape Town' makes no sense lol

Their squad is probably the best though, mind. Brevis, Curran, Rashid Khan, Livingstone, Rabada, Van der Dussen and Jofra Archer app part of it. 

The monopolisation of other T20 comps by IPL bosses and others who are daft enough to go along with it is only going to devalue them over time. The ECB are hoping they can snare in that investment with the hundred but no-one in this country is going to buy into it.

As with the stitch-up of international cricket by the ECB, Aussies and India, they're just going to find out that it's only diminishing returns from hereonin if you don't give each team and league (or "franchise" and "product", if we must) a heritage and identity of its own. The IPL isn't a global model that can be replicated everywhere.

1 hour ago, Nick said:

This story's becoming all too common and is killing cricket in so many towns and villages.

Swear there was a similar issue somewhere like Queniborough recently?

Binged the first 3 episodes of 'The Test' season 2 on Amazon last night - brilliant.

Cricket Australia and the producers have done an amazing job of making this Aussie team likeable again.

Pat Cummins seems like a genuinely top bloke and I'm even warming to Nathan Lyon and Steve Smith FFS!

It's a wonderful insight into the dressing room and makes me even more excited for the upcoming Ashes which I reckon will be an all time classic series.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

Binged the first 3 episodes of 'The Test' season 2 on Amazon last night - brilliant.

Cricket Australia and the producers have done an amazing job of making this Aussie team likeable again.

Pat Cummins seems like a genuinely top bloke and I'm even warming to Nathan Lyon and Steve Smith FFS!

It's a wonderful insight into the dressing room and makes me even more excited for the upcoming Ashes which I reckon will be an all time classic series.

Funny how likeable they actually are away from what you usually see in a match isn't it, I think most sports people are, listened to a few podcasts of footballers where I wasn't a huge fan and ended up really liking them afterwards.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Izzy said:

I'll be picking this up this week. First series was fantastic so really looking forward to it.

Just thinking about how good an English equivalent would have been over the last 18 months :blush:

Edited by Osavo
  • Like 1

Just now, Osavo said:

I'll be picking this up this week. First series was fantastic to really looking forward to it.

Just thinking about how good an English equivalent would have been over the last 18 months :blush:

Ah man an England version would be amazing!

Gutted that this season is only 4 episodes and not 8 like last time. Covers the Ashes over there plus their tours of Pakistan and and Sri Lanka last spring mainly.

The Aussies look like a team on the up to me. Good captain and a nice blend of youth and experience in the side.

I don't think England will have it all their own way this summer and it could be a really close series I reckon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Ah man an England version would be amazing!

Gutted that this season is only 4 episodes and not 8 like last time. Covers the Ashes over there plus their tours of Pakistan and and Sri Lanka last spring mainly.

The Aussies look like a team on the up to me. Good captain and a nice blend of youth and experience in the side.

I don't think England will have it all their own way this summer and it could be a really close series I reckon.

Yeah agreed. Got a good, level-headed skipper in Cummins and a top 5 who all look in supreme form. 

England's approach to pitch preparations in the Ashes will be interesting. Obviously we thrived on flatter decks last summer, but you feel that also plays into the Aussie batsmen's hands. The traditional approach of preparing English green tops to get them out just feels like it could also be a recipe for disaster with 'Bazball' though. 

Either way, it's going to be a cracking series. It's just nice to go into the Ashes with a genuine chance of winning it for once! I think the Aussies are genuinely buzzing to go up against this new England approach as well.

• Like 1