Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

On 01/03/2023 at 15:58, Silebyfox_89 said:

We did (with a little bit of luck) 👀 

Morgan was poor in the last 3/4 years as a player and only stayed due to his captaincy. 

Malan could have squeezed himself in more ODIs in that time imo.

It’s a negative slant,because people’s having the ‚ but‘ factor..

Morgans ethos & character built us into a successfull white ball team & knew how to use & select,some of our very best players…Even in his last 3-4 years,he had produced some individual attacking innings, or hold the other end when others were producing their best…I think cheap shots are easy, hard always to give credit.

Not forgetting Morgan’s  ideology of attacking, is taken over or led into the Stokes Bazball & Butlers go for broke,in Whiteball cricket.

Not forgetting to help the women’s team far more positive approach under Knight.

This ideology, have been taken in by other cricketing nations,who now find they can compete against Auszralia, and not just go through the notions.

plus even when England lose, we go down fighting and more often than not entertaining…

Morgan brought the positives, to modern cricket.. he dared to chase the answer,and not just the question. There is nothing that can put him in a negative light..Only for some pundits try to grow on his achievements & mistrew his career.

30 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Morgans ethos & character built us into a successfull white ball team & knew how to use & select,some of our very best players…Even in his last 3-4 years,he had produced some individual attacking innings, or hold the other end when others were producing their best…I think cheap shots are easy, hard always to give credit.

Not forgetting Morgan’s  ideology of attacking, is taken over or led into the Stokes Bazball & Butlers go for broke,in Whiteball cricket.

Not forgetting to help the women’s team far more positive approach under Knight.

This ideology, have been taken in by other cricketing nations,who now find they can compete against Auszralia, and not just go through the notions.

plus even when England lose, we go down fighting and more often than not entertaining…

Morgan brought the positives, to modern cricket.. he dared to chase the answer,and not just the question. There is nothing that can put him in a negative light..Only for some pundits try to grow on his achievements & mistrew his career

The point you've made is the point he was making pretty much? Although I'd argue the style of cricket now in tests is down to McCullum more than Stokes and Stokes was probably picked as captain as he's most suited to implement it and his style of play naturally already buys in to it, I don't think it had an awful lot to do with Morgan and their style of play.

1 minute ago, Tommy Fresh said:

The point you've made is the point he was making pretty much? Although I'd argue the style of cricket now in tests is down to McCullum more than Stokes and Stokes was probably picked as captain as he's most suited to implement it and his style of play naturally already buys in to it, I don't think it had an awful lot to do with Morgan and their style of play.

Morgan & McCallum, we’re quite close,also in attitude,so there is a natural flow & connection..

3 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Morgan & McCallum, we’re quite close,also in attitude,so there is a natural flow & connection..

Perhaps in the days of England seemingly selecting the same players across all formats this would be the case, but they're pretty much separate entities now with different personnel. If it was down to any kind of influence by Morgan we'd of not had years of dross and players waiting to get out under Silverwood.

1 hour ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Perhaps in the days of England seemingly selecting the same players across all formats this would be the case, but they're pretty much separate entities now with different personnel. If it was down to any kind of influence by Morgan we'd of not had years of dross and players waiting to get out under Silverwood.

That period was shorter than you have in mind,it wasn’t 10yrs or 5yrs,Morgan’s retirement was only shortly..We had maybe one or 2 seasons,not full yrs of doubt,but the ideology was deep in mindset,most of the players,are still our stars.

And even from Strauss,who also believed taking the one day mentality forward into the Test team…Morgan’s legacy is not set by time boundaries,or different change of coaches,but like all fortunate timings, Silverwoods short demise ( which was better than some) and McCallums & Stokes teaming up has gave us another step up,with Stokes saying how captaining the team Morgan influenced him a lot,but still wants to go his own way,and if he can, step it up even further..

We always had problems with our openers,that has you would agree,been a major stolpering  point,though now we have for Tests one settled opener,and we can even afford not to be worried whether Roy or Hales are selected or not in whiteball

22 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Morgan brought the positives, to modern cricket.. he dared to chase the answer,and not just the question. There is nothing that can put him in a negative light..Only for some pundits try to grow on his achievements & mistrew his career.

Not doubting Morgan's impact to the game or what he's achieved in his career.

I'm only highlighting the fact that under Morgan's leadership he ostracised Malan from the ODI team due to the "no-run" incident. We can agree that Hales should have been left out for his indiscretions but Malans was blown out of proportion.

Morgan said himself he probably played on longer than he should due to his ongoing back injury and stayed on longer due to his success as captain.

My opinion is Malan should have played more ODIs in the time Morgan was captain that's all.

7 hours ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

Not doubting Morgan's impact to the game or what he's achieved in his career.

I'm only highlighting the fact that under Morgan's leadership he ostracised Malan from the ODI team due to the "no-run" incident. We can agree that Hales should have been left out for his indiscretions but Malans was blown out of proportion.

Morgan said himself he probably played on longer than he should due to his ongoing back injury and stayed on longer due to his success as captain.

My opinion is Malan should have played more ODIs in the time Morgan was captain that's all.

It's a fair point,but in the magic roundabout of life, there are those players in cricket,football,etc 

That no matter the CV,they for a short period or career long miss out on that international confirmation...but doesn't define the descision-makers path..

Malan now is a respected member of a great group of Whiteball cricketers,so he is now having his say...

Morgan leaves with a legacy and fond memories....

All's well that ends well.....but maybe be other fans  would prefer another selection pairings within top 3.

That's why over the years,I won't criticise club,or country individuals who a manger/captain preference is different to mine & like povs. Top  managers- average-managers all have to go throught those choices others find strange...

1000s wanted A.Cook out,but had to swallow humble pie...

Butcher, Rashid went through the same mesher.

Then take Hoddle, Grealish, Maddison ,Foden,F.Worthington,Weller,...why not chasing 20-50 caps at least...A couple still might..

But that's only my opinion,others would have like the various managers their slant on the individuals.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Quetta Gladiators vs Multan Sultans has been outrageous, Multan currently 156-0 from 10 overs.

Batting in the PSL has been ridiculous. Are they all roads?

Multan Sultans scored 505 runs in their last two innings. 39.3 over. Nearly 13 an over for 40 overs of cricket.

Edited by Lionator
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

Batting in the PSL has been ridiculous. Are they all roads?

Multan Sultans scored 505 runs in their last two innings. 39.3 over. Nearly 13 an over for 40 overs of cricket.

Not actually seen enough of it to say if it's all been like that, but the one yesterday had over 500 in the game 😂

8 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Jordan seems a weak link in the one-day side right now.

That being said, defending 118 in a T20 would have been a near-miracle anyway.

Agreed.

His best days are behind him now, used to be a decent death overs bowler but feels a liability now.

Plenty of better options now is a fit Archer, Wood, Woakes etc...