Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Also IMO we're a spinner like Lyon/Swann away from being the world no.1 team again. I believe that.

And a consistent opening batter…. 

20 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Feels to me like they're priming us for Bairstow to keep permanently. Realistically you could only drop Crawley or Foakes for him in the current line-up.

Good response by Surrey...

They’ve had to fit Bairstow in somehow haven’t they. Not that he shouldn’t be in there but after the openers you can’t leave out any of Pope, Bairstow, Root, Stokes or Brook. Then you’ve got your 3 seamers and a 4th or a spinner. Shit for Foakes, absolute kick in the teeth because as we all know he’s widely regarded as one of the best glove men in the world. 

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Also IMO we're a spinner like Lyon/Swann away from being the world no.1 team again. I believe that.

You realise the stats show there's not a huge difference between Lyon and Leach? Not saying I'd have Leach over Lyon but statistically he isn't miles ahead of him.

1 minute ago, Tommy Fresh said:

You realise the stats show there's not a huge difference between Lyon and Leach? Not saying I'd have Leach over Lyon but statistically he isn't miles ahead of him.

I would hazard a thought that Lyon had been more integral in critical situations to win matches for Aus than Leach has for England and he's certainly had a longer career for them thus far, but point taken.

58 minutes ago, Bert said:

And a consistent opening batter…. 

Might lump on Crawley being top run scorer, he's got to prove me and everyone wrong at some point. He can't keep being this bad (although based on his career in Championship and Test cricket so far, he definitely can)

Just now, leicsmac said:

I would hazard a thought that Lyon had been more integral in critical situations to win matches for Aus than Leach has for England and he's certainly had a longer career for them thus far, but point taken.

Yeah they definitely trust him a lot more and he seems like he'd be good to have about even if not getting much joy with the ball.

Think it is a ridiculous decision to drop Foakes really, what more does he have to do? He is averaging nearly 40 in test match cricket, one of the best keepers in the world but still cant keep his place.

Crawley averages not even 30 and keeps getting the nod - just doesn't make sense. I really hope that this is just a rehearsal selection for Ireland only and not what they are envisaging for The Ashes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Newbold Blue said:

Think it is a ridiculous decision to drop Foakes really, what more does he have to do? He is averaging nearly 40 in test match cricket, one of the best keepers in the world but still cant keep his place.

Crawley averages not even 30 and keeps getting the nod - just doesn't make sense. I really hope that this is just a rehearsal selection for Ireland only and not what they are envisaging for The Ashes.

Probably hoping Crawley will bully Ireland and use it to justify his selection for another 5 years

49 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

This is what I referenced previously, fair play for backing himself and he isn't going to slate himself but it's baffling isn't it

He hasn't got the mindset for a opening test batsmen. 

He gets out the same way nearly every time, either wafting at a wide one or bowled through the gate.

He doesn't aim to work on his craft and try to cut down on his mistakes, he's pretty much been told to crack on as normal.

It makes a mockery of the selection process no wonder Foakes is miffed.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

He gets out the same way nearly every time, either wafting at a wide one or bowled through the gate.

He doesn't aim to work on his craft and try to cut down on his mistakes, he's pretty much been told to crack on as normal.

Exactly this. Crawley's test match dismissals are like groundhog day. Lots of England fans asking for Root to open but then saying he isn't an opener... he used to open the batting and when he comes in at 10/2 most games it's hardly like the top order have seen off the new ball for him anyway.

Duckett

Root

Pope

Bairstow

Brook

Stokes

Foakes (wk)

+ bowling attack.

Or:

Duckett

Stokes

Pope

Root

Brook

Bairstow

Foakes (wk)

+ bowling attack.

Both of the above look a lot more solid IMO than having Crawley at the top of the order. I'm an Englishman, I want him to do well obviously as it meant the team have a better chance of a positive result, but I can't think of many other players who would get the number of chances/licenses to do f**k all than he has had. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Newbold Blue said:

Exactly this. Crawley's test match dismissals are like groundhog day. Lots of England fans asking for Root to open but then saying he isn't an opener... he used to open the batting and when he comes in at 10/2 most games it's hardly like the top order have seen off the new ball for him anyway.

Duckett

Root

Pope

Bairstow

Brook

Stokes

Foakes (wk)

+ bowling attack.

Or:

Duckett

Stokes

Pope

Root

Brook

Bairstow

Foakes (wk)

+ bowling attack.

Both of the above look a lot more solid IMO than having Crawley at the top of the order. I'm an Englishman, I want him to do well obviously as it meant the team have a better chance of a positive result, but I can't think of many other players who would get the number of chances/licenses to do f**k all than he has had. 

Both look solid, but both aren’t going to happen.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

If he was racking up runs domestically you could forgive the persistence perhaps, but his initial call up wasn't warranted, he shouldn't have even been in their minds as an option at that point. But for him to continuously not score a lot of Kent, on top of him being awful for England the whole thing stinks.

Just returning to Foakes/Bairstow: Foakes played throughout 2022 because he is a far better wicketkeeper than Bairstow. The selectors decided (correctly in my view) Bairstow was making too many mistakes costing England too many runs). Nothing has changed; Bairstow is worth his place in the squad as a batter, but I believe Foakes should also be in side. His batting average in tests is better than Crawley who seems undroppable. His performances have underwhelmed (both with bat and in field) since his double century 25 tests ago. Couldn't Foakes (or Root/Stokes) open insted of Crawley.

I think Foakes should be in team; too often the best w/k is undervalued and this is another example. I hope Bairstow's errors (they will come) behind stumps don't cost too many runs

• Like 2

14 hours ago, oxford blue said:

Just returning to Foakes/Bairstow: Foakes played throughout 2022 because he is a far better wicketkeeper than Bairstow. The selectors decided (correctly in my view) Bairstow was making too many mistakes costing England too many runs). Nothing has changed; Bairstow is worth his place in the squad as a batter, but I believe Foakes should also be in side. His batting average in tests is better than Crawley who seems undroppable. His performances have underwhelmed (both with bat and in field) since his double century 25 tests ago. Couldn't Foakes (or Root/Stokes) open insted of Crawley.

I think Foakes should be in team; too often the best w/k is undervalued and this is another example. I hope Bairstow's errors (they will come) behind stumps don't cost too many runs

Agreed I think some of the reasoning is to get Bairstow back in a test environment after a long injury before the ashes starts. We know Foakes is consistent and playing well, where JB is probably a but rusty.

Ireland is probably an easy way to find out where JB is at fitness wise.

Not sure on Tongue being in the side given there are better county bowlers at present: Cook, Porter, Worrall.

6 hours ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

Agreed I think some of the reasoning is to get Bairstow back in a test environment after a long injury before the ashes starts. We know Foakes is consistent and playing well, where JB is probably a but rusty.

Ireland is probably an easy way to find out where JB is at fitness wise.

Not sure on Tongue being in the side given there are better county bowlers at present: Cook, Porter, Worrall.

Worrall is Australian isn't he? 

• Like 1