Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

39 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Poor Brook, that pretty much scuppers his chance of being fastest to 1000 Test runs.

There has been some odd decisions so far, this is the only warm up for the Ashes.

England won the toss yet put Ireland in based on recent form an innings victory was highly likely so you're risking only giving your batsman 1 chance to bat. 

As would be expected Ireland were kept to a modest total. We get to 500 runs and decide to declare, depriving Bairstow, Brook and Stokes any time at the crease, almost guaranteeing an innings victory.

Surely you choose to bat first, fill your boots, then anyone who doesn't get any time at the crease in the first innings gets a chance to make runs in the second.

They've also fvcked over Lords and are looking to wrap it up in 2 days. I don't get it.

12 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

Is there anything at all to be gained from this being a 'Test' match?

Just some red ball time.

That being said, I'm not sure what alternatives exist if the purpose is to get form before the Ashes. A two Test series against someone like NZ or Bangladesh, perhaps? But that would have its own attendant issues.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Just some red ball time.

That being said, I'm not sure what alternatives exist if the purpose is to get form before the Ashes. A two Test series against someone like NZ or Bangladesh, perhaps? But that would have its own attendant issues.

I know, there is no solution really. It was better in the old, old days when they'd all have been playing county cricket up until the Test series, and the tourists would arrive and play half a dozen warm up matches against full-strength county teams.

They do say modern life is rubbish; as far as I'm concerned modern cricket certainly is. Which is a shame, as I really used to love cricket.

11 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

I know, there is no solution really. It was better in the old, old days when they'd all have been playing county cricket up until the Test series, and the tourists would arrive and play half a dozen warm up matches against full-strength county teams.

They do say modern life is rubbish; as far as I'm concerned modern cricket certainly is. Which is a shame, as I really used to love cricket.

I'm not quite that cynical, I do enjoy Test cricket still, especially with the way England are playing it right now.

16 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I'm not quite that cynical, I do enjoy Test cricket still, especially with the way England are playing it right now.

Fair dos. I liked Test cricket as it used to be; I don't really see the appeal of T20 spread over five days (well, usually two and a half, if that). But then I don't see the appeal of T20 anyway.

And probably not many people are quite as cynical as me when I get going...!

And I'm well aware that I've basically become one of those crusty old brigadiers in their MCC ties who I despised forty years ago, with their blethering about white balls and players wearing pyjamas, and how it simply isn't cricket and it will be the death of the game.

Turns out they might have had a point...

Edited by Phil Bowman

Well, something we've learned from this match is that Leach most often cannot hold up an end on a relatively flat pitch, and so we need four seamers. The problem then is obviously as Stokes plays, who makes room for the extra seamer?

Edited by leicsmac

3 hours ago, Lionator said:

If Leach got injured, would they give Rehan a go or do you reckon they’d go four seamers and Root?

Maybe at 2-0 up in the series. Otherwise they'll back Root to hold up an end, which he's more than capable of doing.