Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

10 hours ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

I'd like Ahmed to be thrown in but I can't see that they will.

Massively in two minds about this happening.

The Aussies would go after him from the off which might see him take a lot of wickets that would make it look a genius move, or it might dent his confidence and send his career back.

15 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Sounds like they will ask Moeen Ali to come out of test retirement.

Guess he will be useful with bat and ball.

Feels like a bit of a backwards step though with the options coming through 

Edited by HybridFox
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Moeen Ali been called up for the first two tests.

Gone for the experience of someone who has played Ashes cricket rather than throw a younger player in ?

Think it's certainly the wisest move for now in terms of a spin option. Certainly shortens the tail if he plays too.

I like Moeen but im not happy with that and find it weird it's being celebrated. There was a time when he was good enough but it had long passed when they stopped picking him, he looked finished as a Test player. I hope he proves me wrong and tbf he won't contribute less than Crawley, but hardly something that's going to worry Australia.

Odd given the playing philosophy that they aren't willing to give someone less known a chance.

16 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

I like Moeen but im not happy with that and find it weird it's being celebrated. There was a time when he was good enough but it had long passed when they stopped picking him, he looked finished as a Test player. I hope he proves me wrong and tbf he won't contribute less than Crawley, but hardly something that's going to worry Australia.

Odd given the playing philosophy that they aren't willing to give someone less known a chance.

Agree, but that was before the current regime/philosophy took over and that's wiped the slate clean for others who've since thrived, like Duckett. He's a more inspiring pick than Liam Dawson etc would have been.

3 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Probably too soon for Rehan. Would have been a very bold call to select him. I think this is the safe pick.

He's not exactly famed for being economical either is he, I know he's young obviously but rarely see him go for low amounts in any form of cricket (picks up wickets though of course!)

I think Moeen makes even more sense given the all attack style with the bat, he will be incredibly useful to come in and have a slog later in an innings.

What does everyone reckon to changing the World Test Championship to a one-off tournament every four years?

You'd split the 12 Test nations into four groups of three, with each team in a group playing each other once. Then the four group winners go to a second group stage and again play each other once to determine the winner, while the second and third-placed teams would have their own second group stages so everyone gets to play a total of five Tests over the course of the tournament.

Batting and bowling bonus points would also be on offer to help separate the teams.

13 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

What does everyone reckon to changing the World Test Championship to a one-off tournament every four years?

You'd split the 12 Test nations into four groups of three, with each team in a group playing each other once. Then the four group winners go to a second group stage and again play each other once to determine the winner, while the second and third-placed teams would have their own second group stages so everyone gets to play a total of five Tests over the course of the tournament.

Batting and bowling bonus points would also be on offer to help separate the teams.

I like the premise of a one-off tournament with more than two teams and one Test, but I wouldn't go for all 12 nations.

Rather, top four or six teams qualify through the system we have now, and then do one of two things:

Four teams: Single group format, each team plays all others twice. Top two in the group play in best-of-three Test final. Each team therefore plays between six and nine Tests.

Six teams: Two groups of three, each team plays each other once. Top two from each group through to single-Test semi-final followed by best-of-three final. Bottom of groups play each other once more. Each team plays between three and seven Tests.

The only issue with all of these ideas is the logistics of playing so many Test matches all at once in one nation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I like the premise of a one-off tournament with more than two teams and one Test, but I wouldn't go for all 12 nations.

Rather, top four or six teams qualify through the system we have now, and then do one of two things:

Four teams: Single group format, each team plays all others twice. Top two in the group play in best-of-three Test final. Each team therefore plays between six and nine Tests.

Six teams: Two groups of three, each team plays each other once. Top two from each group through to single-Test semi-final followed by best-of-three final. Bottom of groups play each other once more. Each team plays between three and seven Tests.

The only issue with all of these ideas is the logistics of playing so many Test matches all at once in one nation.

Yeah, hence why I came up with the format I did. I feel like five Tests over six weeks (each team would get a bye-week given there's only three teams in each group) would be manageable logistically for a one-off tournament.

Felt it important to include all nations as there's so little opportunity for some of them to actually play many Tests in the current system. Look at Ireland, for example.

3 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Yeah, hence why I came up with the format I did. I feel like five Tests over six weeks (each team would get a bye-week given there's only three teams in each group) would be manageable logistically for a one-off tournament.

Felt it important to include all nations as there's so little opportunity for some of them to actually play many Tests in the current system. Look at Ireland, for example.

That's a fair complaint, but I think the solution to that is having them more involved in the Test cycles themselves, not the one-off tournament at the end.

Perhaps tweak my earlier suggestion for a four-team tournament and have the initial group stage just playing once then, would give three to six Tests for each team which might be manageable.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AjcW said:

He's not exactly famed for being economical either is he, I know he's young obviously but rarely see him go for low amounts in any form of cricket (picks up wickets though of course!)

I think Moeen makes even more sense given the all attack style with the bat, he will be incredibly useful to come in and have a slog later in an innings.

Leggies rarely are economical these days. It’s so hard to get your length right consistently. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Stan out there doing a rain dance watching that approaching storm lol

I was happier yesterday lol

Surprised Aus didn't get 500+, when you consider what they ended on last night. 

I'm there tomorrow and the weather is mint so I'm happy. Perfect batting conditions today and tomorrow. Expecting big scores from the seniors! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Surprised Aus didn't get 500+

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Perfect batting conditions today and tomorrow

Yah that was my thought when a few people were calling it all over before your lot had even gone out to bat. Really might just be that the conditions favour the batsmen. Although I suspect the pitch might be just a bit more favourable to Australia than India anyway. But still.

Long time to go.