Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

Embarrassing to lose it in this fashion and not even take it closer to tea/end of play.

Our side is about to go through a big transition in the next 2-3 years. Lots of players reaching the end of their careers and time to blood some youngsters in so they can develop and build their reputations. The bigger characters will go, too, so they will need to be replaced.

I don't fully know how the rankings work but we're definitely not holding on to our #1 ranking, and we'll probably drop to 4/5th as that transition starts.

Kohli, Jadeja, Ashwin, Rahane, Pujara, Rohit Sharma, Umesh Yadav are all 34 or above. Really not been impressed by Sharma's captaincy either. Expected much more from someone of his experience and talent. The captaincy has to change but it's slim pickings! For youngsters that it could be, you're looking at Gill, Pant (if he comes back the same player) or maybe Bumrah?

The trouble is, as well, we don't have any decent up and coming fast bowlers any more. Bumrah missing and injured leaves a big hole to fill - Siraj, Shami, Yadav don't have the same potency. 

England visit India next year. I think the squad will look vastly different and with England settling into their new 'mode' of cricket which is highly entertaining and successful, I think they will comfortably win. 

Congratulations to Australia though. Damage was well and truly done on the first day with those 2 tons from Smith and Head!

Their pace attack is fierce, especially on English wickets. Starc, Cummins, Hazelwood, Boland are great options. 

But I hope England batter them :D. It might be one of the most entertaining Ashes series in recent years?

Edited by StanSP

Lyon, however, is a pretty significant difference between the teams - he's a proven quality spinner in a lot of different conditions, which is something England don't really have.

Targeting him and at least attempting to remove him from the equation somewhat will be critical.

1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

Guess they are in a rotation system with the Ageas bowl and Edgebaston.

Leeds and Manchester get the Indians instead .

I don't mind taking the England team around the country, but I don't get why Southampton gets an Ashes gig though. Ballache to get to with poor public transport links.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bert said:

If you’ve not seen Ben Currie’s catch from tonight. Go and search for it. 

I was lucky enough to see that live. It was insane - he levitated and it all seemed to happen in slow motion.. I couldn't believe my eyes. And in the context of the match it was crucial. Looked 6 all the way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trabuch said:

I was lucky enough to see that live. It was insane - he levitated and it all seemed to happen in slow motion.. I couldn't believe my eyes. And in the context of the match it was crucial. Looked 6 all the way.

Was ridiculous as was that boundary save shortly after, I forget who it was who saved the 6 on that one.  Incredible fielding saved the match.  

Just now, Bordersfox said:

Was ridiculous as was that boundary save shortly after, I forget who it was who saved the 6 on that one.  Incredible fielding saved the match.  

Ward I think. Two Sussex T20 debutants with those. Currie had a very good match.

• Like 1

Am I hallucinating or is there some sort of crowd competition in this season's Blast which involves how long can you continuously scream or shout for?

I'm all for trying to broaden the appeal of cricket in all its forms but, seriously, who thought this was a good idea?  

Course immediately after I got my wife to time me doing just that.  My time shat all over the pigeon lunged pip squeak of a kid in Bristol and I've got decades of boozing and cigars to my name.  Weakling.  

It's not a great game tonight.  

• Haha 1

Because of the camera angles, I think quite a few people have a false idea of how quick the international bowlers really bowl.

Watching it live side-on really adds a new perspective.

NB. I faced a guy doing about 70-75 mph in club cricket once. Had no idea where the first two deliveries were and had my off stump demolished by the third. Goodness only knows what it's like to face 90 mph+ and I have amazing respect for the reaction time of the top batters that they make it look easy sometimes.

Edited by leicsmac