Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

7 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Can't decide if I like that from Bangladesh or not, but rule is there and 2 minutes is a long enough time to get ready. 

Turns out it's 3 minutes and he still went over. 

But his strap broke as he was about to take guard. I don't like it from Bangladesh either. 

Given it was spin (I think), I wonder if he could have faced one ball without a helmet, and then swapped or sorted it out. 

Goodness me, that's the first time that's happened in any form of international cricket. In over 150 years.

Edit: To add some colour to this, there have been a couple of times in Tests where the batter hasn't been ready once the three minutes have elapsed, but the fielding side have never appealed.

Edited by leicsmac

5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Goodness me, that's the first time that's happened in any form of international cricket. In over 150 years.

Edit: To add some colour to this, there have been a couple of times in Tests where the batter hasn't been ready once the three minutes have elapsed, but the fielding side have never appealed.

Yeah I'm surprised Bangladesh upheld their initial appeal. 

It's quite clear Matthews was pretty much ready, then his strap broke. Harsh to appeal on that basis. 

I doubt it happens at any level of cricket, let alone international! 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

It's quite clear Matthews was pretty much ready, then his strap broke. Harsh to appeal on that basis. 

If they were fighting it out for the last semi final spot you could perhaps understand it, but what are Bangladesh even playing for? A champions trophy place? Obviously they'll want to win any game but seems a bit meh when they don't have much riding on it 

Edited by Tommy Fresh

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

According to the good folks at Wiki there have been six such incidences in the history of first-class cricket.

It does seem rather against the spirit of the game when the batter was there and could have faced a ball, but then perhaps Matthews should just have faced a ball or two with a broken chin strap (he was facing spin after all) and changed his helmet at the next over?

• Like 1

If Mathews has explained the situation to the Bangladesh captain, it should be agreed to bypass the 2/3 minute rule. 

Especially if the equipment has broken on the field, he shouldn't have to face a ball without a helmet just to avoid being out. 

If it's already broke, then I have less sympathy, he should be checking that before going out. 

12 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

If they were fighting it out for the last semi final spot you could perhaps understand it, but what are Bangladesh even playing for? A champions trophy place? Obviously they'll want to win any game but seems a bit meh when they don't have much riding on it 

Yep, top 8 here qualify for Champions Trophy, so there is something riding on it for both teams. 

5 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

If Mathews has explained the situation to the Bangladesh captain, it should be agreed to bypass the 2/3 minute rule. 

Especially if the equipment has broken on the field, he shouldn't have to face a ball without a helmet just to avoid being out. 

If it's already broke, then I have less sympathy, he should be checking that before going out. 

It broke as he was about to take guard. Seemed okay up to then.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

This changes my view a little, actually. The fact he wasn't even ready before the chin-strap issue is quite important. He was already beyond the 2 minutes. 

Reminds me of a bugbear of mine in football. When a manager wants to substitute a player on and then has to wait another 5 minutes while said player arses about sorting his kit out.

• Like 1

Not seen it yet  but was he taking the p1ss?

Why did he need to take the piss?

In the bigger scheme of things was it really time wasting?

Players take time out of they need a new bat or change of gloves so what was he doing that was really OTT?

Not good for us brown cousin brothers having more beef between us!!!

13 minutes ago, Raj said:

Players take time out of they need a new bat or change of gloves so what was he doing that was really OTT?

He had a broken helmet so wanted to change it .

9 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

He had a broken helmet so wanted to change it .

Yeah I know so what the big deal and nothing different to when a player changes his bat/ gloves?

Also how much time can be wasted when umpires look to change a ball for a similarly damaged one if required or they need spectators  moving innthe crowd.

I just dont get why the Bangalis have singled this out?

No Sri Lankan will ever eat at a Bangladeshi  Curry house EVER again!!!

10 minutes ago, Raj said:

Yeah I know so what the big deal and nothing different to when a player changes his bat/ gloves?

Also how much time can be wasted when umpires look to change a ball for a similarly damaged one if required or they need spectators  moving innthe crowd.

I just dont get why the Bangalis have singled this out?

No Sri Lankan will ever eat at a Bangladeshi  Curry house EVER again!!!

Does seem weird, can only assume due to bowling sides having so long to get their overs in it's to stop the batting side intentionally taking the piss. But like you've said not sure how different it is to someone changing a bat, guessing they time these stoppages as well.

3 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I'd imagine the umpires might have been lenient and let Mathews bat even though he was slightly over the 2 minutes. But the pfaffing about with the helmets was the final straw at which point they were like, "You're taking the piss now. You're out.".

He wasn't taking the piss though. The strap legit broke as he was getting ready.

All of that is moot anyway as by the time the strap did break, he was over the 2 minutes. Not sure how much by, but nonetheless he'd probably lost any leniency the umpires were willing to give him by that point. 

2 hours ago, Raj said:

Don't think he was taking the piss. Don't think it was time-wasting but if the umpires have to uphold the laws of the game, he'd gone over the 2-min limit to be ready to face a ball after they come into bat. In saying that, if Bangladesh wanted to uphold the spirit of the game and not create so much controversy, they could have easily just told the umpires not to allow him to be timed out and let him stay once the helmet had been swapped. 

I think the point about Matthews staying around without his helmet whilst facing spin is irrelevant because of the time-limit already being surpassed and Bangladesh were happy to let the umpires do their thing. For all we know, Matthews might have asked that of the umpires/Bangladesh but they said he has to go. 

Don't think it's much different to change gloves/bat but usually that's done between overs. I remember earlier in the tournament a player wanted to do it after 2-3 balls within an over, and the umpire said no because they'd only just had a change between overs.

Edited by StanSP

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

He wasn't taking the piss though. The strap legit broke as he was getting ready.

All of that is moot anyway as by the time the strap did break, he was over the 2 minutes. Not sure how much by, but nonetheless he'd probably lost any leniency the umpires were willing to give him by that point. 

Don't think he was taking the piss. Don't think it was time-wasting but if the umpires have to uphold the laws of the game, he'd gone over the 2-min limit to be ready to face a ball after they come into bat. In saying that, if Bangladesh wanted to uphold the spirit of the game and not create so much controversy, they could have easily just told the umpires not to allow him to be timed out and let him stay once the helmet had been swapped. 

I think the point about Matthews staying around without his helmet whilst facing spin is irrelevant because of the time-limit already being surpassed and Bangladesh were happy to let the umpires do their thing. For all we know, Matthews might have asked that of the umpires/Bangladesh but they said he has to go. 

Don't think it's much different to change gloves/bat but usually that's done between overs. I remember earlier in the tournament a player wanted to do it after 2-3 balls within an over, and the umpire said no because they'd only just had a change between overs.

What I was getting at is he obviously ISN'T  taking the piss as you've  confirmed.

Theres no motive for him to do it so why is he being punished?

Bangladesh have alot to answer for in my eyes on this, they should have had a word with the player and tell the Umpires to continue...never going brick lane again😡