Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

4 hours ago, Graceroad said:

They won't lose on purpose 

They're already through and their super 8 group spot is confirmed due to being predetermined. Doesn't matter if they finish 1st or 2nd.

So in theory there is nothing to stop them losing on purpose, other than personal pride and potential ramifications. If I was an aussie I'd want to chuck the game 

17 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Aussies won't risk losing, not only because thats not the Aussie mentality but after the comments about taking it easy they'll look like a bunch of match fixers.

Yeah, this.

Also, you'd have thought that the ICC would invoke a larger sanction than booting their captain for a couple of matches if they do as it would be so flagrant.

• Like 1

It’s not a tough call for the Aussies

firstly they rest as many big players as they can 

secondly they bowl within themselves to avoid injury and the Scots score what they score 

thirdly, they bat like England did last night - that could mean they lose all their wickets within ten overs or they score 400!

chances are that they win but there is a decent chance that they don’t and they can’t be sanctioned for taking the approach above 

At this point, it would be plain daft from Australia. If England beat Namibia, then they’d have to lose to Scotland.

Terrible optics, considering they wouldn’t face us until a semi final or final (should England get that far). 

Just now, Chiltern Fox said:

Has it? Bbc still reporting as delayed 

Espncricinfo is usually up to date, got it from there. But then just gone back on and  they've edited the update saying 'there's a strong chance it'll be off' 

Looking like super eights will be

India

Australia

Afghanistan

Bangladesh

USA

England

West Indies

South Africa

No reason that England can’t reach the semi’s. I’m really interested in Afghanistan though, they can 100% win this competition imo (cue the Aussies winning it). 

This is honestly the most ridiculous international tournament I’ve ever seen. 

Crap teams, crap pitches, temporary stadiums. 

Fine, let the minnows play in the main tournament, but they should have their own group stage first with a couple getting through to the main event. 

Not enjoyed a minute of it so far, hopefully super 8’s are better! 

13 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Fine, let the minnows play in the main tournament, but they should have their own group stage first with a couple getting through to the main event. 

One associate nation's already through to the last 8. Another could follow.

I'd say that suggests the trend for letting more of them have a crack at the big boys can only be a good thing.

4 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

One associate nation's already through to the last 8. Another could follow.

I'd say that suggests the trend for letting more of them have a crack at the big boys can only be a good thing.

And Nepal really should have beaten South Africa.

Be unfair to tar them with the same brush as Oman and Uganda. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AjcW said:

Yeah, as others have said, think this is way off imo.

There have been no more horrible teams than in past tournaments, the pitches have given something for the bowlers rather than just the batters, and the success of the US team can only boost the profile of the sport there.

Much better than the TV-revenue centric India/Oz/England closed shop the 50 over WC has been of late.

• Like 3

20 teams has been great. Uganda have been crap yet still beat Papua New Guinea. Realistically Zimbabwe would be a lot stronger than Uganda but blew it in the qualifiers. Oman were competitive v Aussies, Nepal nearly beat South Africa. The international t20 game is in a very healthy position right now. 

I could have phrased that better. I was putting everyone into the “crap teams” bracket… no one has exactly shone yet have they, even the big boys!

I do still think you’d get a good mix of association teams even if they had a mini tournament first. Just means the ones that get through have really earned their chance against similar level.

It’s all just felt very flat to me. Hopefully the quality (of everyone) improves. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

Aussies won't risk losing, not only because thats not the Aussie mentality but after the comments about taking it easy they'll look like a bunch of match fixers.

Exactly this. After sandpaper gate they can't afford to be less than squeaky clean. 

Hazlewood's comments were ridiculously stupid. 

• Like 1