Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

32 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Thing I don't get about all this Ashes preparation talk is you can get together a group of fast bowlers.

But if you don't get batsman able to convert 50s into big 100s it will not matter.

I think they reckon the batting will take care of itself and tbh I don't see how they're wrong on that given how this Test team has batted everywhere but India (which is unique).

I remember going to an Ashes match in 2019, justifying the cost by saying it's probably the last time we'll see Jimmy playing the Aussies. lol

I agree with those who think he could still have done a job for us, but to last as long as he has done is incredible.

19 hours ago, StanSP said:

Anyone hoping for some weekend cricket might be disappointed! Can't see this going beyond lunchtime tomorrow. 

Good call!! 

I was there yesterday - easily chose the best day to see it. Managed to get a bit of everything in! 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I think they reckon the batting will take care of itself and tbh I don't see how they're wrong on that given how this Test team has batted everywhere but India (which is unique).

Didn't get enough runs at home against the aussies, not sure that's going to be any easier on pitches over there.

7 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Didn't get enough runs at home against the aussies, not sure that's going to be any easier on pitches over there.

Were it not for the bowlers not finishing the job in the first test and the weather in the fourth it would have been 4-1 England, I honestly don't think the batting is too much of a problem. But fair enough.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Jimmy bowling as good as ever, you have 3 other bowling spots to get ready for ashes.

If you are good enough ages shouldn't matter whether that's old or young.

Should have given him this summer minimum.

Jimmy not got a fantastic record in Australia though has he? And is barely used on away tours. Always bowls economically and we definitely lack some experience without him. 

With home tours against West Indies and Sri Lanka, its a perfect time to allow other bowlers to build. 

Take nothing away from Jimmy though, but I think it needed to be done. If the new guys fail, maybe he'll come back. 

1 minute ago, RowlattsFox said:

Jimmy not got a fantastic record in Australia though has he? And is barely used on away tours. Always bowls economically and we definitely lack some experience without him. 

With home tours against West Indies and Sri Lanka, its a perfect time to allow other bowlers to build. 

Take nothing away from Jimmy though, but I think it needed to be done. If the new guys fail, maybe he'll come back. 

I understand the reasons.

Just think he would gave been useful to have him in the field naturing them.

2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

I understand the reasons.

Just think he would gave been useful to have him in the field naturing them.

The more I think about it, the more annoyed I get at Rob Key for retiring him 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, STEVIE B said:

It’s been mentioned that England already have their sights on the next Ashes series (16 months away). I don’t think the powers that be think he’s that effective in Oz (Woakes isn’t either & won’t go in my opinion).

England want to take an attack of pure pace. Atkinson, Stone, Wood, Pennington, Archer (depends on fitness), Potts etc.

Anderson will be missed without doubt, but will be great help as a mentor.

Add Josh Hull to that list too. Left Arm quicks are rare.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lcfc-1992 said:

Glad we made Anderson retire to give the young players like Wood and Woakes a chance :whistle:

Don't get it tbh, call up Pennington then doesn't bother playing him. Not like the windes are offering any threat at home, perfect time to bleed some youth.

On 12/07/2024 at 20:14, Silebyfox_89 said:

Add Josh Hull to that list too. Left Arm quicks are rare.

Rate the kid but way too soon to be thinking along those lines. He's not proved himself for us in the Championship yet.

7 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Rate the kid but way too soon to be thinking along those lines. He's not proved himself for us in the Championship yet.

While I agree with you, they've s3lected and played Bashir who's barely played any FC matches.

Bazball effect.

17 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Be nice if perfomances at County level seemed to have any influence on selectors but as we've seen over the years that's not the case lol

• Like 1

On 16/07/2024 at 21:19, Silebyfox_89 said:

Sam Hain average is 65 in the T20 blast from 11 innings, averaging 15 more than anyone else. 

If he's not in the next T20 squad for England then I give up.

He should be playing all formats for England

• Like 1