Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

8 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

I only started watching county cricket two years ago and I hate The Hundred already. 

It gets the crowds & most kids wouldn't watch anything longer than a 50 over game. I never watch The Hundred, rarely any T20's (apart from Internationals).

Counties wouldn't survive just playing 4 day cricket & one day games unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Corky said:

Is the Ireland v Zimbabwe Test match on anywhere?

Belfast ? :ph34r: Joking aside, I'd love to go there & take in a bit of sport. Maybe boxing. 

Edited by STEVIE B

15 hours ago, Graceroad said:

Agree its shocking at least with the BBC coverage we get Alex Hartley bundle of energy  and very easy on the eye

Caught a bit of the game yesterday and she started singing Madonna's Like A Virgin on-air. Couldn't help but wonder what Richie Benaud would make of it all if he were still with us.

• Like 1

Everything you read on the latest plans for the Hundred see it morph further towards the competition which was always there in the first place. There’s talk of the next TV cycle to see it become a T20 comp. They want fans whom will travel home and away. It becomes a ten team tournament. Inch by inch it’s something already there in their face. 

This investment push looks desperate and the bottom line is that the maths don’t add up, so interest isn’t massive. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

It's a bit of a myth, that. Those same crowds would be watching county white-ball games if given the same prime scheduling, exposure and marketing budgets.

That maybe true. Do you mean do something with the 4 day game ? That would take some doing. The 'A couple of pensioner's their dogs' crowd would take some addressing.

I just don't think families, teenagers etc would watch the long game. Only my opinion though.

7 minutes ago, STEVIE B said:

That maybe true. Do you mean do something with the 4 day game ? That would take some doing. The 'A couple of pensioner's their dogs' crowd would take some addressing.

I just don't think families, teenagers etc would watch the long game. Only my opinion though.

Well yeah, but at least there's a logical pathway to getting someone into following a county in all formats. Get them hooked on the short stuff and long term, over the course of a lifetime even, it builds that loyalty. I've got quite a few mates who now follow all of our games from having taken them to Friday night T20s 10-15years ago.

Playing some Championship cricket in the summer holidays also wouldn't hurt. A day at Grace Road used to be an annual tradition for me and my grandad.

There just isn't that same logical pathway with the hundred. People turn up and then forget about cricket for 11 months of the year. There's no attempt to build that same loyalty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Everything you read on the latest plans for the Hundred see it morph further towards the competition which was always there in the first place. There’s talk of the next TV cycle to see it become a T20 comp. They want fans whom will travel home and away. It becomes a ten team tournament. Inch by inch it’s something already there in their face. 

This investment push looks desperate and the bottom line is that the maths don’t add up, so interest isn’t massive. 

It is nigh on impossible to set up new clubs in modern sport. These franchises have no defined fanbase, no knowledge of how far people will go to watch them, if they will pay lots of money to follow it. Whatever you think about the counties, they have fans who have and will turn up whatever the results, the weather, the scheduling, the pricing. Generations have done it for 150 years. 

This is all built on what might happen down the line. They are not real teams so nobody knows what they will offer going forward. County cricket is a durable product (hate the phrase but you understand). The Hundred isn't. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Corky said:

It is nigh on impossible to set up new clubs in modern sport. These franchises have no defined fanbase, no knowledge of how far people will go to watch them, if they will pay lots of money to follow it. Whatever you think about the counties, they have fans who have and will turn up whatever the results, the weather, the scheduling, the pricing. Generations have done it for 150 years. 

This is all built on what might happen down the line. They are not real teams so nobody knows what they will offer going forward. County cricket is a durable product (hate the phrase but you understand). The Hundred isn't. 

One interesting note mentioned on this week's Talksport county cricket podcast is that any new hundred owner would have the right to change everything about "their" team - name, colours, the lot.

So much for want to build up fanbases loyal to team identities. I wish the ECB would just admit they want to flog off as much of our summer as possible to Indian interests and just be done with it.

4 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

One interesting note mentioned on this week's Talksport county cricket podcast is that any new hundred owner would have the right to change everything about "their" team - name, colours, the lot.

So much for want to build up fanbases loyal to team identities. I wish the ECB would just admit they want to flog off as much of our summer as possible to Indian interests and just be done with it.

My fear is the Blast gets eaten up by this new iteration of the Hundred with franchises linked to IPL clubs. The Blast is a fantastic competition, I live in Manchester so go and watch Lancashire pretty regularly. It's popular with kids, affordable, fun, great quality, and all the counties are involved. The Roses game between Lancs and Yorkshire is a real spectacle (when it's not rained off). Would be an absolute travesty if it ends up being sacrificed at the behest of international investors. For the future of the game I feel it's really important that a 10 year old in Worcester, Canterbury or Leicester can go watch a game of cricket on a Friday night and their parents not have to pay through the nose for it.

• Like 2

I can't see what IPL owners would get out of it. Cricket is the biggest sport in a country of over 1 billion people; cricket here is nowhere near the biggest sport for 50 million. It will never generate anywhere near the revenue that the IPL gets. They won't do it benevolently. 

Just cannot see them investing.

Does anyone know what is happening with the Hundred?, I heard this will be the final season of the current format.  I read rumours they want it to be t20 but keep the name 'the hundred'?  But then I read they eventually want to revert to 6 ball overs?  So how would that work? 

It’s just so plastic. I know that’s the point of franchises, but the kits, names, logos and sponsors have all been hand-picked under one roof.

I understand they don’t want a tribal crowd but it is taking soulless to another level. 

The names are so shit too. I would rather watch Hula Hopps vs Pom Bears than “Welsh Fire” vs “Southern Brave”. 

Edited by RonnieTodger

7 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Does anyone know what is happening with the Hundred?, I heard this will be the final season of the current format.  I read rumours they want it to be t20 but keep the name 'the hundred'?  But then I read they eventually want to revert to 6 ball overs?  So how would that work? 

A good summary here: https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/the-hundred-2024-ecb-shop-window-for-private-investment-1444241

• Like 1

England unchanged for the third test tomorrow. Thought the whole point of retiring Jimmy was to try out potential replacements for next summer against India and Australia the following winter. So what's the point in playing Woakes and Wood every game, with Pennington and Potts not getting a sniff?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, izzymuzzet said:

My fear is the Blast gets eaten up by this new iteration of the Hundred with franchises linked to IPL clubs. The Blast is a fantastic competition, I live in Manchester so go and watch Lancashire pretty regularly. It's popular with kids, affordable, fun, great quality, and all the counties are involved. The Roses game between Lancs and Yorkshire is a real spectacle (when it's not rained off). Would be an absolute travesty if it ends up being sacrificed at the behest of international investors. For the future of the game I feel it's really important that a 10 year old in Worcester, Canterbury or Leicester can go watch a game of cricket on a Friday night and their parents not have to pay through the nose for it.

That's the other thing. "It's made it more affordable and brought a new audience" is repeated as if it's fact. Even if it was true, it's true of seven cities in the whole country.

In what world is the hundred more accessible for a 10-year-old kid from The Saff who lives a few minutes' walk from Grace Road? Or a kid from the Chaddesden estate by Derbyshire's ground. It's nonsense.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

The  County fixtures are a joke  growing up in the late 80s early 90s I seemed to always be at Grace Road this season we have 1 days cricket in August

• Like 1

5 hours ago, izzymuzzet said:

England unchanged for the third test tomorrow. Thought the whole point of retiring Jimmy was to try out potential replacements for next summer against India and Australia the following winter. So what's the point in playing Woakes and Wood every game, with Pennington and Potts not getting a sniff?

Perfect opportunity to give Lawrence, Potts and Pennington a game in a dead rubber. Strange decision

The hundred is gonna hinder the development of players I’m sure. Rehan Ahmed who should be the natural replacement for Adil Rashid in the 50 over team, won’t have played a one day game in nearly two years soon, all so he can play in this circus. How is he supposed to develop? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Openers getting away with a couple of boundaries from the shorter balls. 

Despite that, not many wicket-taking opportunities either. 

Braithwaite could’ve very easily been ran out second over as well