Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

Having watched some of the hundred (apologies but i dont have sky sports so its the only chance i get) - are attendances way down?  I watched quite a lot last season and the crowds looked very healthy...certainly look a lot less so far...which if true will please a few on here.

On 01/08/2024 at 18:11, purpleronnie said:

Having watched some of the hundred (apologies but i dont have sky sports so its the only chance i get) - are attendances way down?  I watched quite a lot last season and the crowds looked very healthy...certainly look a lot less so far...which if true will please a few on here.

Counties stream matches on YouTube (for now anyway) if you ever want to watch something that isn't the Hundred 

• Like 1

On 01/08/2024 at 18:11, purpleronnie said:

I wonder if families have jetted off abroad this year due to the poor weather in the Spring. 

Similarly, maybe families haven't bought tickets for the 100 because of the unsettled weather forecasts. 

8 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

I wonder if families have jetted off abroad this year due to the poor weather in the Spring. 

Similarly, maybe families haven't bought tickets for the 100 because of the unsettled weather forecasts. 

I think families have forgotten about this thing that was a bit of a novelty at first but fails to inspire long-term loyalty because it happens for 3 weeks in a 52-week year, isn't based around concepts of geographical identity that English people are familiar with, and has a high turnover of players every year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Voll Blau said:

I think families have forgotten about this thing that was a bit of a novelty at first but fails to inspire long-term loyalty because it happens for 3 weeks in a 52-week year, isn't based around concepts of geographical identity that English people are familiar with, and has a high turnover of players every year.

I've seen a few of the games and it's still mostly families attending, especially in London. 

Maybe that's what the cameraman has been told to focus on. 

The Old Trafford attendances look really down. 

39 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

Superb day out at Taunton, a ground that balances that friendly County feel but with excellent facilities.

Plenty of independent and local food places and local beers and ciders available.  A nice change from the usual kegged filth.  Plenty in as well.  

Good game, shame the sheep shaggers won but fair play to 'em was an impressive comeback.  Compress_20240804_195138_8502.thumb.jpg.8d705c7097dbfae72791678103582f1d.jpg

Great to see. Looks a decent crowd too, fantastic to see people engaging with the One Day Cup instead of the Hundred. 

Noticed there are some great games happening in the Cup this year. I've seen a lot of close games, involving up and coming players and it's been brilliant to watch. Long may it continue. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Osavo said:

Great to see. Looks a decent crowd too, fantastic to see people engaging with the One Day Cup instead of the Hundred. 

Noticed there are some great games happening in the Cup this year. I've seen a lot of close games, involving up and coming players and it's been brilliant to watch. Long may it continue. 

I've always really enjoyed the one day format.  It's a full day's cricket/boozing but there is a result on the day.  I'm never going to be able to go to 4 or 5 days cricket. 

Very good crowd, despite most of the first team being away for the p1ss poor Hundred.  They'd had a beer and cider festival thing going on over the weekend and It was a family day today.  Loads of kids in, the future of the sport. 

That said, the place is cricketing mad, the taxi driver on the way in was massively into his cricket and he was saying they've got one of the biggest membership bases in the country.  

Anyway, highly recommend it for a weekend.  Two decent boozers near the ground as well.  

• Like 3

Guest Chocolate Teapot
22 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Feel a bit sorry for Pennington. Deserved his chance and not sure what he's done wrong to get dropped from the squad?

His hamstring said otherwise.

Brilliant interview with Jordan Cox on sky, I've never seen him play but he seems to have a really good temperament and sense of humour.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

Graham Thorpe has  passed away aged 55.

Had been unwell for sometime .

Very sad obviously.

One of the mainstays of the England team in the 90s and usually the one saving it .

Probably one of the best .

Edited by Super_horns
  • Sad 3

Thorpe was one of my favourites when I was first getting into cricket. Such an elegant batter. He had a few personal troubles but his comeback in 2003 was special. That image of him and Nasser Hussain walking off in the dark at Karachi in 2000 is iconic.

• Like 1