Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

1 minute ago, RowlattsFox said:

Hard to criticise Sibley for protecting his wicket, given he gets shit for getting out cheaply too but there is no balance with him. He puts pressure on the other guys to score runs and take risks. It's fine if he or someone else scores big alongside him. 

To be really effective he needs Root, Stokes, even Bairstow (on form) alongside him. Thankfully Root is pushing the game forward.

What would England be aiming for here? 

A day and a half left. Lead of 300-350? Enough to make it competitive for India but then would you bowl us out in the day? Haven't even checked the weather so could all be moot! 

I'm all for an opener blocking out and seeing off the new ball, but you have to also still look to put away the bad balls. Sibley just doesn't do that, it ends up piling pressure on his partner and himself, therefore leading to poorly selected shots. Why he's attempting to drive Bumrah off a short-ish length is beyond me. 

18 minutes ago, StanSP said:

There should never be any tests held in England ever again :mad:

I've said this many times, just play all games abroad, at least we'll see some cricket.

I had such high hopes for climate change.

Edited by purpleronnie

8 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Would have been an interesting day but England will be glad they've come away without going one down.

Better batting performance second time around but still far too reliant on Root. Robinson showed some promise, hopefully he's in the team for a while.

Off topic, this morning they were discussing the One-Day Cup and it's role in the season. David Lloyd spot on in asking for the knockout format with Minor Counties to return, Atherton mentioned that ticket sales were low for the final but didn't mention that it is being played on a Thursday.

Knockout cricket brings fewer matches and hopefully better ones. This obsession with league formats is boring.

• Like 1

Never a great look when the game is heavily effected by the rain and forces a no result. England have got away with one I reckon. 

What do you do though? Have extra days available in case? Certainly need to be more proactive with earlier starts, not wasting time when rain does stop. Someone somewhere will trial a game under a roof, if it hasn't happened already. 

I thought maybe test series can have a points system, and teams can receive bowling and batting points so that games aren't a complete waste of time. But I'm sure there would be questions about how fair it is if both teams don't get same opportunity to bat or bowl. 

In a best of 5nin England you are bound to get one rain-affected game. Fingers crossed it doesn't decide or disrupt too much more. 

5 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

What do you do though? Have extra days available in case? Certainly need to be more proactive with earlier starts, not wasting time when rain does stop. Someone somewhere will trial a game under a roof, if it hasn't happened already

Agree with having a reserve day. It's not always going to be used/needed but at least you have it there as an option. 

With technology these days I can't imagine ticketing is an issue at such short notice. 

Also agree about the 5-tests in a summer in England. Can't imagine there's ever been any series that hasn't been rain-affected. 

A reserve day may be a catalyst to change to 4-day tests though. That reserve day is pretty much the 5th day anyway so the calendar isn't affected in that way.

I suppose the reserve day just pushes everything back. Plus would you only use it when there's been no play in a day, or 10 overs, 30 overs etc?

Just unfortunate it has prevented the last day from taking place but it's one match out of 5- plenty of time to get results going forward.

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Would help if they weren't going off for bad light when the conditions are still perfectly fine. Doesn't help the weather situation but might mean we get an extra hour or so per test that seems to be wasted every so often.

We also regularly lose at least 8 overs per day due to the teams taking an age to move around the field plus drinks, bats, gloves being brought on every couple of overs.

The time-keeping in Test cricket is dreadful.

Not looked at over rates for this game but potentially they might have got a result if everyone just hurried up a bit and cut down on in game delays. 

You'd have to have a minimum amount of time to be off in order to have a reserve day. But you'd probably need both captains to agree. 

I don't understand why, in bad light, they don't turn on the floodlights and get the pink ball out.

And why, when it is showery, they don't restart the game straight away, instead of strolling about for 40 minutes and planning an inspection later, let alone a restart.

For a format under threat, test cricket doesn't do itself any favours.

• Like 2

I’ve been watching this padding for the Hundred and I sort of always knew it anyway, but my word, Kevin Pietersen comes across as a self centred arse. 

He just talks and talks.

He worsens pretty much any broadcast he is involved in.

• Like 1