Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

3 hours ago, Vacamion said:

I’ve been watching this padding for the Hundred and I sort of always knew it anyway, but my word, Kevin Pietersen comes across as a self centred arse. 

He just talks and talks.

He worsens pretty much any broadcast he is involved in.

He's like Zlatan without any of the charisma and lacking that slight hint that maybe he might actually be joking on occasion. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vacamion said:

I’ve been watching this padding for the Hundred and I sort of always knew it anyway, but my word, Kevin Pietersen comes across as a self centred arse. 

He just talks and talks.

He worsens pretty much any broadcast he is involved in.

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

He's like Zlatan without any of the charisma and lacking that slight hint that maybe he might actually be joking on occasion. 

He's one of the most naturally talented batsmen to play for England in the last few decades. There's a reason the Aussies had him down as the one person in the team they feared.

Unfortunately they also called him "Fvck I'm Good, Just Ask Me" which is also true, and it's remarkable and disappointing how his ego managed to get even bigger than his talent and affect his career in the way it did.

Every time they do any player analysis in the build ups, KP just talks about himself and what he’d do - and not even in just a giving insight way. That bit about Andy Flower yesterday was also weird. Can’t believe they haven’t both moved on rather than still dragging that up. No doubt a very very odd bloke in many ways but still the best batsman to ever pull on the three lions for me, he was absolutely box office in more than one format. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

What is that ?

Same agents. There is a agency ran by Neil Fairbrother, alongside Michael Lumb. Both former cricketers. They represent a number of cricketers alongside some of the cricketing journos and coaches. 

The current England selection policy appears to very much on whose mates with who. When you’ve got two of the current England coaches currently signed up on the same agency and the captain Root, it’s quite an uneasy alliance. Reminiscent of Jermaine Jeans sticking up or hyping up his agents clients on match of the day 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Same agents. There is a agency ran by Neil Fairbrother, alongside Michael Lumb. Both former cricketers. They represent a number of cricketers alongside some of the cricketing journos and coaches. 

The current England selection policy appears to very much on whose mates with who. When you’ve got two of the current England coaches currently signed up on the same agency and the captain Root, it’s quite an uneasy alliance. Reminiscent of Jermaine Jeans sticking up or hyping up his agents clients on match of the day 

That explains a lot. Some players have seemed undroppable at times, regardless of form.

That said, there's a real dearth of players doing well enough to oust many of those playing. The top 6/7's averages, with the exception of Root, really are woeful. Only Stokes averages over 35 in that current squad besides Root. 

Is it just my imagination, or didn't we have most of the top 6 averaging around 40 even in the bad old days? Thorpe, Hussein and Atherton were just below 40, but each proved they could play match winning innings on a number of occasions. Not sure who we could bring in, though I'm not on expert of the County Championship by any means. Isn't hameed about due another turn, Sibley isn't a great option at all.

Edited by Duquesne Whistle

We need to bin Sibley off ASAP.

There’s slow and then there is him.  Was having bets with my mates at the ground on Saturday how long it would take for others to beat his 28 in 133 balls. It’s alright staying in but you’ve got to be scoring runs. Takes that long to get himself in he almost plays himself out. Drop him for Hameed. 

26 minutes ago, Bert said:

We need to bin Sibley off ASAP.

There’s slow and then there is him.  Was having bets with my mates at the ground on Saturday how long it would take for others to beat his 28 in 133 balls. It’s alright staying in but you’ve got to be scoring runs. Takes that long to get himself in he almost plays himself out. Drop him for Hameed. 

His innings on Saturday was fine while Root was knocking the ball about. Less so his first innings 

28 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

His innings on Saturday was fine while Root was knocking the ball about. Less so his first innings 

He can’t keep doing it. He’s there to score runs. Puts pressure on the other batters. He could’ve easily got a half century second innings but left too many. 

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I see - son of a former cricketer too of course so potentially related to a mate?

Edited by Super_horns

Whilst Vaughan may have an agenda due to sharing agents with Crawley, it's pretty difficult to disagree with his assessment. Crawley has had innings where he has looked the part and may mature into a reliable test batsman. Lawrence has looked like a rabbit in the headlights virtually every innings. Sibley is just too one dimensional and looks like he'd play the same way until his last innings in cricket. I wanted Sibley to be given the chance, as some naturally raise their game in a test match environment, he doesn't seem to be one though. Even with the current policy of giving batsmen every chance to cement a place, I think his time is rapidly running out.

There is not exactly a queue waiting to be called on though is there. Hameed is next in line but he's struggled previously but has had a decent season but now not played any cricket for weeks, maybe months. 

Crawley is a decent watch but needs to tighten up, he's a bit of the "james vince's" currently, pretty 20/30 then out. 

Sibley could be a good test player but needs to work on, or be worked on by the coaches to improve the obvious weaknesses. 

Lawrence is only in there because Stokes and Pope are missing. Shown promise but just doesn't have the experience and confidence. 

First class cricket doesn't prepare you for test cricket. The standard isn't good enough, they play on crap pitches at shit times and then if you do go into the test squad you don't play any outside of test matches. Covid obviously hasn't helped, not sure there has been any lions tours? The likes of Sibley, Crawley and Lawrence should spend their winters gaining experience playing domestic cricket in Australia or somewhere but obviously not been able to in the last year. 

25 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

The likes of Sibley, Crawley and Lawrence should spend their winters gaining experience playing domestic cricket in Australia or somewhere but obviously not been able to in the last year. 

I know Crawley's done stints in Grade Cricket in Sydney before but not sure about the other two.