Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

3 minutes ago, Lionator said:

That's what you get when you allow tailenders to get their eye in. Everyone should've been around the bat!

In terms of the optics of what happened with Anderson & Bumrah, this would have been a suitable tactic. Some short stuff, even at Pant, and see what happens. From my perspective there was no forcing of the issue to get a wicket. It's almost as if Root or the bowlers just thought 'ah we'll get them out soon enough, they're swinging a bat and we'll get a wicket soon'. 

When Pant got out, I did not envisage we'd a) be at the score we are and b) still be batting at lunch! 

14 minutes ago, StanSP said:

In terms of the optics of what happened with Anderson & Bumrah, this would have been a suitable tactic. Some short stuff, even at Pant, and see what happens. From my perspective there was no forcing of the issue to get a wicket. It's almost as if Root or the bowlers just thought 'ah we'll get them out soon enough, they're swinging a bat and we'll get a wicket soon'. 

When Pant got out, I did not envisage we'd a) be at the score we are and b) still be batting at lunch! 

So what now? Would you declare and go for it or do you let these two have another few overs after lunch? 

28 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Let Root concentrate on his batting. 

His captaincy is woeful

All well and good but there's no natural replacement. Buttler's the only one who vaguely comes close while Stokes is out (Stokes would be a bad choice too) and he wouldn't be playing if Foakes was fit.

14 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

So what now? Would you declare and go for it or do you let these two have another few overs after lunch? 

Are you in my family group chat? I literally just posed the same question to them lol

A draw is the most likely result in either case. Let these two have a bit more fun and then put them in to bat shortly after lunch. See how much England want to win. 

I think if we were to declare and make a game of it, the cynic in me would think England bring out the heroic side of them and bag a win even if the total to chase is very high. 

Shami and Bumrah have almost deserved the chance to just carry on and stick it out. Maybe we'll declare when one of them gets out. With Kohli it can be a bit unpredictable sometimes. 

Thanks to those two still in the key decisions to be made don't really rest with India any more. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

Alright then, pardon all these questions, but will England absolutely go for it here and will this be like watching an ODI or will they just be conservative and play for a draw? 

It's England, we always play as if we're scared to lose.

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Alright then, pardon all these questions, but will England absolutely go for it here and will this be like watching an ODI or will they just be conservative and play for a draw? 

I'd like them to go for it. 

Equally so, wouldn't blame them if they just comfortably saw out the draw. 

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

If the New Zealand game at Lords earlier this summer is anything to go by, we'll opt against the chase.

I wouldn't really blame them. 4.5 per over in perfect bowling conditions just doesn't seem likely. Pitch looks to be dying a bit too. We'll know after 10 overs though. 

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It’s Root, for all his positives and there are many, he doesn’t seem to fancy chases. 

It's a shame, because he's a phenomenal cricketer, but Stokes needs to replace Root as captain after the Ashes.

****ing open with Bairstow and Butler and if they get out quick THEN play for the draw with the absolute dross openers we have.

1 minute ago, RowlattsFox said:

They'll bat normally until tea (if they get that long) and then see what's left. No point sending out Buttler and Bairstow to the new ball and they just knick off. Bat sensibly to begin with and see off the new ball.

Mate the openers will likely knick off anyway! 

Guest Chocolate Teapot

Why does kohli always need to act like a complete bellend? They say he's a nice guy but he comes across like a total ****.

3 minutes ago, AjcW said:

It's a shame, because he's a phenomenal cricketer, but Stokes needs to replace Root as captain after the Ashes.

****ing open with Bairstow and Butler and if they get out quick THEN play for the draw with the absolute dross openers we have.

Tried that with letting Roy open and look where that got us.

The problem isn't the kind of batsmen who open for us, it's a general lack of that kind of batsman knocking about these days to create competition for places.

Just now, Voll Blau said:

Tried that with letting Roy open and look where that got us.

The problem isn't the kind of batsmen who open for us, it's a general lack of that kind of batsman knocking about these days to create competition for places.

I think letting him open consistently isn't the right idea. But this is a shootout situation, one off, one innings, just do something different!

We are so vanilla and so behind the times in test cricket, which makes no sense when you see our approach to one day stuff.