Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

5 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

If we're talking about it on TV, they've probably enjoyed it more because it's actually available on TV channels everyone can watch - sometimes the games have been on five different ones at the same time! The key thing you mention though is these are your cricket friends, and therefore presumably their kids will end up being interested in cricket at some point anyway? So they're not really the target market The Hundred was allegedly aimed at.

The biggest issue with getting kids to actually go to games is the removal of their right to play on the outfield during breaks. It used to be the best part of the day for me! Cricket in whatever form is a long day/evening out for children but letting them emulate what they see in the flesh would go a long way to keeping them interested!

Tens of millions spent on this shitshow, yet you've nailed one of the biggest simple childhood joys of the sport; being allowed to bowl/bat on the outfield at tea.

I can use my two kids as a test case for the success or failure of 'the hundred'.....they wouldn't even know it exists. In fact, at 13 and 16 they are the epitome.of cricket's lost generation. I can honest say if Jimmy Anderson walked up to them in all his whites and said 'I'm Jimmy Anderson' they'd still be clueless

The terrestrial TV horse has bolted for the ECB. 15 years of whoring themselves out to sky (as.opposed to rugby, who refused to entirely follow the cash....and using my kids as an example again, they don't follow rugby either but would know Owen Farrell or manu tuilagi. Rugby has retained, even grown, itself in the national psyche) lost a generation of fans and now that message has sunk in, literally zero kids watch terrestrial TV. It's the 21st century of a gramophone. 

The ECB entirely misread British family culture anyway. Kids don't want to sit still at fcking lords or headingly

Bit like summer horse racing, create space for bbqs, picnic blankets, play on the outfield, marquees, bouncy castles or let off vuvuzelas at sixes or whistles when the oppo get out.

Keep it simple, stupid 

• Like 2

Thoroughly enjoyed the Hundred, particularly the women’s games. It’s been brilliant for the women’s game, potentially transformational.

Went to Lords with my fam a couple of weeks ago and had a great day. Loved it. Also went to Lords for the Test on Sunday. Loved that too.

The summer schedule needs to improve for sure so there is some 4 day cricket mid summer. I’d move the 50 over comp to earlier in the season and have 3 groups of 6, so 5 games rather than 8.

I’d also be inclined to keep Test players out of the Hundred to preserve them for the 4 day game. 

But to the original question, I think the Hundred has in general been ‘a good thing’. And if the ECB didn’t pursue new revenue streams there is no future for Counties like ours, who are massively subsidised by the governing body.

Of course The Hundred is good. Cricket is good.

Of course women’s cricket is good. It’s cricket.

For me though The Hundred is the ECB trying to make right all the **** ups it made when it launched T20 while not admitting their mistakes in the first place. Instead they launch this at the expense of 200-odd years of history.

Even when T20 launched everyone said some games should be on terrestrial TV. It’s not a shock people who wouldn’t normally be able to watch cricket would then find they enjoy it when they could.

The ECB didn’t market T20 effectively or organise it well enough. I admit it would really have been revolutionary to have women’s matches played alongside them at the time, but it would have been possible with foresight.

Is The Hundred good? I mean be all and end all, it’s just marketing really. 

Franchise cricket could've been trialled with the women. Why not have a team covering three counties? Let's say Leicestershire, Derbyshire and Northants/ Notts take part as the East Midlands, the women play at all three grounds and before a men's T20.

I appreciate the North is spread out but no reason why you couldn't have the South West, London and Essex, the South Coast two with Kent and the West Midlands covered. Plenty of area to pick a team from, several grounds to play at and they could have an affiliation to the county teams. Leicester, Derby and Northampton all host the England women's team and get decent crowds so the potential was there.

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Same, that's some hit. 

Although the Sky comms seemed to find it disappointing for some reason. I really don't rate this competition. The 50 over competition had some cracking matches, but was largely ignored. But I'll watch any cricket! Catch!!!

Edited by trabuch

27 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

what an anti climax.

Good 

The eight ‘franchises’/the host counties have started to use the access to the other county players and tap them up to sign for them in all other formats. Another terrible symptom which will run down the non franchise host counties (although looks like they want to get Durham and Bristol in it within two years)

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 2

You could see that although there were a few smiles, the players didn't exactly over celebrate winning it. 

In isolation, its a fun tournament and if you like big shots etc you'll enjoy it. If T20 didn't already exist I think it would be seen as brilliant, (the format, not necessarily the structure) 

I guess we will see how the players feel when they either make themselves available or not for future years. 

Teams have been stacked with good players and a few youngsters who have taken a chance to impress. 

I've Watched a Great deal, Read all your posts...

For what it is I enjoyed it...but one Really massive statement hit me...and this was been a bug-bind for me for years....

@sileby-fox...whoops I meant ( Couldnt seem to delete it..!!! @Silebyfox_89, came out with this:-

The impact the Hundred has had on scheduling has been criminal for no red ball cricket to be played for 3 weeks in August is stupid 

We have seen over the last few years..quite unfairly for Test cricket fans & Teams like W.Indies,Sri Lanka Alike

,come over and Play at end of April & May.. Cold miserable weather, even for cricket Loving dogs

And then no  redball in August...!! ....Its Not just  stupid, its fking sick...!!

Franchise cricket is needed,it fills the cricket empty coffers,und quite Frankly I Dont Care who it Entices in...

Because even the Henley-regata has drunken slobs, and they are all toffs,who apparently should know better..

BUT the traditional Basic season high ,and playing months should be adhered  to.     

The saddest thing for me, would be if 5 day Test cricket died....Its Simply the Soul of cricket..

On criticism of This last years International cricket....Covid-regulations and especially the bubbles,should Not be taken for granted or lightly..

It has and is effecting many young & experienced cricketers...in their various phases, in growth,stabilising,Finding form, taking Time out during Test-series..

Butler,Stokes,Root  Crawley etc Plus  ,other Top starlets, or Experience players W.wide etc..is hitting harder than what is being summised..

Every competition, every day commitment...Pops up Another Bubble....then Family, Social life, Time-out during games,is  Damn hard to balance,

So judging or analysing, comparisons have just has no base or real sinn, the Scales are so unevenly tipped..

23 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Good 

The eight ‘franchises’/the host counties have started to use the access to the other county players and tap them up to sign for them in all other formats. Another terrible symptom which will run down the non franchise host counties (although looks like they want to get Durham and Bristol in it within two years)

That's progress- instead of losing our players to Notts for more money, we could now lose them to Glamorgan because they can offer franchise cricket for a supposedly unrelated team.

Glorious.

4 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Seemingly perpetually. 

It does seem so. He was unlucky to have shared that taxi drive with Moeen, who subsequently had a positive test, I suppose. That ruled him out of the Sri Lanka series and the selectors deemed him surplus to requirements in India. Maybe, even at just 32, he's one of those who starts to take a long time to heal. 32 seems pretty young for that though. It's still a heel injury I think. 

2 minutes ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

It does seem so. He was unlucky to have shared that taxi drive with Moeen, who subsequently had a positive test, I suppose. That ruled him out of the Sri Lanka series and the selectors deemed him surplus to requirements in India. Maybe, even at just 32, he's one of those who starts to take a long time to heal. 32 seems pretty young for that though. It's still a heel injury I think. 

I really rate Woakes and I think he gets into our strongest XI but he just seems to never be fit.

Fingers crossed Archer doesn't get the same problems.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AKCJ said:

I really rate Woakes and I think he gets into our strongest XI but he just seems to never be fit.

Fingers crossed Archer doesn't get the same problems.

Agreed. He was often also very handy with the bat. 

It does seem he's been messed around a little too. Maybe that's just my perception as I don't know the in and outs of the players careers. Certainly seemed there were times he should have been nailed on to start and hasn't been picked, for whatever reason. Could have done with him now, but I guess Mamood or Overton will come in. Not handy to be taking on the Indian batsmen with a decimated attack. That said, we're lucky they're not 2-0 up anyway, in my opinion.