Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

15 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

If I had my way, the word 'embarrassing' would not exist in regards to sporting performance. I know I bore (some) people by being a stickler about language usage, but it's like lies - if you repeat the word often enough it loses all meaning.

If that doesn't sum up English red ball cricket then I don't know what does.

Unless you got another word for me to use then I'll continue to describe English red ball cricket as an embarrassment. Aside from Root, do we have a batsman in the top 30? Maybe Stokes?

Just nowhere near good enough and thoroughly embarrassing far too regularly.

2 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Don't think I've ever not said they're a good side, just a couple of things. Firstly, that kohli is a ****, which is unanimously agreed with even by some Indian supporters / commentators/ players and most other nations that have played against him (clearly a good player), and secondly, that Indian fans are a weirdly sensitive bunch which has been demonstrated here by your weird response and additionally basically previously being accused of racism because I said some mean things about the fans of India cricket and kohli.

Better side won, didn't think England were woeful and people that know far more about cricket than you or I said the same / are saying the same on TV currently.

I know feck all about cricket to be fair, just like you.

One thing though, Kohli might be a @@@@. BUT EVERY other nation would grab him in a heartbeat if they could.

Hes like the Vardy of cricket!

I heard the ECC tried to get him on the basis that he once had a curry on Melton Road!

Anyway, I'll leave you today now as you are super sensitive after a loss to the Indians!

Edited by Raj
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

If I had my way, the word 'embarrassing' would not exist in regards to sporting performance. I know I bore (some) people by being a stickler about language usage, but it's like lies - if you repeat the word often enough it loses all meaning.

What other word would you describe some sporting performances which are "embarrassing"?

Great win again for India....

England Really Dont have a strong tail

Both Teams bowled well,

One Team bowled to & on  the stumps...

The other wrong Bowling tactics towards opposition end of innings..

Let me also say, Stokes wouldnt have Made that much of a difference...

Bumara...Way above anyone else, Mainly  consistency & his discip!ined important peaks...

3 Tests games where we were on top, & couldnt Keep the Flow & turn it to 90% in our favour...Collapse After collapse, After collapse.

1-2 positives...Pope returns...Found an Opening 1-2  team...also maybe,just maybe..! a nr3. Return of Woakes...

India have been the growing/developing Team over the last 6+ years & Now 1-2 years, No1...They have won/drawn well Away from home.

in 50+ yrs, the most improved unexpected Pace attack...

• Like 1

I know it was a very quick collapse but with how England have sometimes pulled something out of the bag, I expected more today with the kind of pitch that was being played on. Expected more going in to the final session. 

A couple of fortunate wickets set the tone, perhaps. Root and then Overton chopping on played in to our hands. 

Going to Old Trafford on Friday and one thing I wanted before the series even started, on a personal selfish note, was for there to be something riding on that final test. Too often it's been a dead rubber and nothing to play for but pride. Now we have England wanting to rescue a series, and India wanting to win one in England in god knows how long. Just hope the weather holds out! 

It's a combination of bad batting and really good bowling. Not just the actual delivery but the pressure created by the fielders and captain. When England knock over a team on the last day, we say it's because of an excellent bowling performance rather than than the opposition being rubbish. But we never show any fight, or that's the way it seems. Techniques just aren't good enough. 

India are the better side, and more importantly they perform when needed too more often that not. Not all of them, but someone comes good. 

• Like 2

Well, as an England cricket fan of some years, I can't say I'm not used to that lol

That said, you can't take that win away from India because England failed to bat well in a 4th innings again. India played very well after struggling badly on day one. Love him or loathe him, Kohli has India up for a fight in these big series. Well played India, just better than us.

If India win the toss in the last test, I expect them to bat until tea on day 5, where Kohli will declare on 800 not out...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

We play so much white ball because that's where the money is going....the ipl and the big bash make millions out of it and we have nothing that compares.

3 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Sadly I don't disagree.

This Test Series will make money for the ECB and the venues than any white ball cricket this year. 

125k filled the Oval for five days at the average ticket price of £65. You do that across a full series of five tests

It’s what maddens me when they chase after the fantasy dollar behind the Hundred 

• Like 2

Guest Chocolate Teapot
21 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

This Test Series will make money for the ECB and the venues than any white ball cricket this year. 

125k filled the Oval for five days at the average ticket price of £65. You do that across a full series of five tests

It’s what maddens me when they chase after the fantasy dollar behind the Hundred 

But look at how much Australian and Indian cricket make, they're desperate to make that up. Hence the shitty hundred.

1 hour ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

Well, as an England cricket fan of some years, I can't say I'm not used to that lol

That said, you can't take that win away from India because England failed to bat well in a 4th innings again. India played very well after struggling badly on day one. Love him or loathe him, Kohli has India up for a fight in these big series. Well played India, just better than us.

If India win the toss in the last test, I expect them to bat until tea on day 5, where Kohli will declare on 800 not out...

I love Kohli, he's a winner. 

I reckon those calling him a **** wish deep down that we had a captain as competitive and passionate. He'll go down in history as one of the great captains and rightly so.

Problem with most England captains is that they're just too 'nice'. Give me a demanding bastard like Kohli every day of the week.

Edited by Izzy
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

I reckon those calling him a **** wish deep down that we can a captain as competitive and passionate. He'll go down in history as one of the great captains and rightly so.

Problem with most England captains is that they're just too 'nice'. Give me a demanding bastard like Kohli every day of the week.

Imagine the weight on his shoulders.

A whole nation for the only sport India are good at sat on his decisions.

Also taking the mantel of a legend like Sachin.

It beggars belief how big Kohlis bo11ox must be!

People like chocolate teapot who scrawl through google looking for sh2t on him are deep down infatuated with him. Hes probably got posters of him in his bedroom and kisses it at night whispering"Wish you were our captain!"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

I know it was a very quick collapse but with how England have sometimes pulled something out of the bag, I expected more today with the kind of pitch that was being played on. Expected more going in to the final session. 

A couple of fortunate wickets set the tone, perhaps. Root and then Overton chopping on played in to our hands. 

Going to Old Trafford on Friday and one thing I wanted before the series even started, on a personal selfish note, was for there to be something riding on that final test. Too often it's been a dead rubber and nothing to play for but pride. Now we have England wanting to rescue a series, and India wanting to win one in England in god knows how long. Just hope the weather holds out! 

Whether the home Team draws, the Away Team takes the laurels & often Keep any Pot that might be Played for...

Ist been a Great Series whether 2;-2, or 3-1 to india. Both Teams have delivered in the field,But when hard comes hard, 

India Foughtt back with excellent discipline,where England didnt have the mental aptitude, 3 chances in the field when we had to.

Hard very hard to take...MCC must mean Mental Collapse, Collapse....

Edited by fuchsntf

4 hours ago, AKCJ said:

If that doesn't sum up English red ball cricket then I don't know what does.

Unless you got another word for me to use then I'll continue to describe English red ball cricket as an embarrassment. Aside from Root, do we have a batsman in the top 30? Maybe Stokes?

Just nowhere near good enough and thoroughly embarrassing far too regularly.

3 hours ago, Raj said:

What other word would you describe some sporting performances which are "embarrassing"?

I'm not here to fall out with anyone, you're free to use that word if you like - I don't know who is embarrassed in all this though.

There are so many words that one could use to describe what happened today that are better than 'embarrassing'  - I really do hate the language of shame when there are so many things going on in the world, and sometimes perpetrated on our behalf which are truly embarrassing. 

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

I reckon those calling him a **** wish deep down that we had a captain as competitive and passionate. He'll go down in history as one of the great captains and rightly so.

Easier to be a twat when you've got a world class team around you, though. He's had an average series with the bat and is still likely to win it. Root has pretty much been a top six on his own so far.

Is Root too nice? Probably. He's also got far less to work with than Kohli. One of our best captains was Nasser Hussain, a proper hard skipper, who improved us hugely. Was still battered by Steve Waugh in the Ashes though.

8 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I'm not here to fall out with anyone, you're free to use that word if you like - I don't know who is embarrassed in all this though.

There are so many words that one could use to describe what happened today that are better than 'embarrassing'  - I really do hate the language of shame when there are so many things going on in the world, and sometimes perpetrated on our behalf which are truly embarrassing. 

Probably a worthless crusade you seem to be taking on, stopping  people using the word embarrassment  when you xsnt come up with an alternative.

Issues in the world maybe catastrophic, disturbing, horrendous  etc but where decades of sporting failures have been classed as an embarrassment  I dont know  why you have a bee in your bonnet about it.

You'll be going around d in each thread correcting most people.

But like I say, probably  not for the cricket thread...

59 minutes ago, Raj said:

Probably a worthless crusade you seem to be taking on, stopping  people using the word embarrassment  when you xsnt come up with an alternative.

Issues in the world maybe catastrophic, disturbing, horrendous  etc but where decades of sporting failures have been classed as an embarrassment  I dont know  why you have a bee in your bonnet about it.

I'm not stopping or correcting anyone - I simply expressed an opinion. There are so many alternatives and you all have enough vocabulary to find them yourselves. My point remains that the word is over-used and it loses meaning - and that's as far as my 'crusade' goes.

1 hour ago, Raj said:

You'll be going around in each thread correcting most people.

I haven't 'corrected' anyone, and no I won't. 

Regardless of what happens at Old Trafford, this series has been closely fought and both sides have struggled with bat and ball, with India just getting the edge in that department. All England need is that consistency, which will hopefully come as Burns, Hameed, Pope etc get more experienced. They've proved that they can make runs but need to do it on a more consistent basis, same with India's batting, which hasn't been that good either. I'm not a fan of Kohli he's clearly a decent batter and a good skipper, but I've lost all respect for him, no, not because England have been beaten, but the attitude. Yes, be aggressive and ruthless, but some of the antics in the second test weren't great, the laughing at English batsmen while they were at the crease, the ridiculously childish getting right (literally) into opposition faces and general over-the-top aggression, reminiscent of the Australians a few years ago. I'm sure a lot will disagree, but you can be aggressive and ruthless without crossing the line. Who cares ? I hear you ask - India have been the better side. It's a fair point, I just don't think it's right. 

16 hours ago, Raj said:

Imagine the weight on his shoulders.

A whole nation for the only sport India are good at sat on his decisions.

Also taking the mantel of a legend like Sachin.

It beggars belief how big Kohlis bo11ox must be!

People like chocolate teapot who scrawl through google looking for sh2t on him are deep down infatuated with him. Hes probably got posters of him in his bedroom and kisses it at night whispering"Wish you were our captain!"

Don't get me wrong Raj, Kohli makes me spit feathers at times, just like Teapot. We can all admire his skill (and bollox) though. When I read through the earlier posts, I found myself nodding in agreement with both those praising Kohli, and those calling him a **** lol. I then genuinely thought pretty much what you've said in the first 4 lines above. Then I came to your post, so it wasn't particularly worth expressing exactly what you've already said. 

I think what you mention are definitely mitigating factors in the way Kohli sometimes acts. He's an competitive animal. Bugs the shite out of me at times, but you just have to admire his balls. He could definitely handle some things better than he does. Huge, huge pressure in that job, daily though. I'd be an absolute mental case under the type of scrutiny Kohli is, I just wouldn't cope.

Anyway, let's all hope for competitive final test. 

Congrats by the way :thumbup:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Corky said:

Easier to be a twat when you've got a world class team around you, though. He's had an average series with the bat and is still likely to win it. Root has pretty much been a top six on his own so far.

Is Root too nice? Probably. He's also got far less to work with than Kohli. One of our best captains was Nasser Hussain, a proper hard skipper, who improved us hugely. Was still battered by Steve Waugh in the Ashes though.

Hussain dragged English cricket forward almost in a personal crusade, it must have taken an incredible amount of energy, wit and belief. The attitude had been awful for years before that. He also had that Australian team to try and deal with at the same time though. He definitely set the foundations for English test cricket to later have a real purple patch, he just never quite had the players himself. 

As for Kohli being a **** when he has a World class team around him, that may be true, but I get the feeling Kohli would lead all his teams in a similar fashion, even if he was in charge of Zimbabwe. It's just how he does it. The Indian teams were often lambasted in the 70's and 80's on tour because of poor fitness, poor fielding skills and not being tough enough. Ganguly changed all that by fronting up and being confident, Kohli is an 21st century Ganguly really. Doesn't make some of the things particularly palatable to supporters of other teams, but I'm not sure most Indian fans care.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

But look at how much Australian and Indian cricket make, they're desperate to make that up. Hence the shitty hundred.

The difference being that in those two counties they’re their national sports. We have Football & Rugby way ahead of cricket in this country.  

Fans get too precious about their team. What many people don't like is that this Indian team just gives as good as they get. I remember a few years back when England decided to throw sweets on the wicket as India batted. If that happened to this Indian team, they'd do the same when England batted. If they get sledged, they give it back. That's how sport should be. In the end it's about performance, and England got outplayed, just like India got outplayed at Headingley. I fully expect England to come back and level the series at Old Trafford. Bar the openers, the rest of the Indian batters are in poor form. Sardul saved them in this match.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Costello said:

Regardless of what happens at Old Trafford, this series has been closely fought and both sides have struggled with bat and ball, with India just getting the edge in that department. All England need is that consistency, which will hopefully come as Burns, Hameed, Pope etc get more experienced. They've proved that they can make runs but need to do it on a more consistent basis, same with India's batting, which hasn't been that good either. I'm not a fan of Kohli he's clearly a decent batter and a good skipper, but I've lost all respect for him, no, not because England have been beaten, but the attitude. Yes, be aggressive and ruthless, but some of the antics in the second test weren't great, the laughing at English batsmen while they were at the crease, the ridiculously childish getting right (literally) into opposition faces and general over-the-top aggression, reminiscent of the Australians a few years ago. I'm sure a lot will disagree, but you can be aggressive and ruthless without crossing the line. Who cares ? I hear you ask - India have been the better side. It's a fair point, I just don't think it's right. 

So is Kohli just expected to take it from any England players too? I'm not saying all England players will act reciprocally but as @sm1 says, if you can give as good as you get, what's the issue?

Laughing at the England players at the crease? Is this any different to being sledged by the wicket keeper behind the stumps as you get ready to bat? 

Getting in to opposition faces? What ruthless cricketer doesn't/wouldn't do this? It's just a bit of gamesmanship without breaking the rules. 

Kohli is ruthless and aggressive but I wouldn't say he's crossed the line in this test. At least not unprovoked.