Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

• 2 weeks later...

Stokes and Archer would have given us a puncher's chance but with neither of them it'd take a miracle to avoid a series defeat let alone reclaim the Ashes. Best we can hope for is to catch them off-guard and win the first Test then do an India and not bother with the other four for a cheeky 0-1 win.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

TBH we could have Stokes, Archer and Stone all available and raring to go and we'd still struggle out there. This Aussie side at home is formidable.

Agree. But even knowing we don't have them there's no desire to innovate and give the likes of Abell or Parkinson a gig. Instead, we stick with the likes of Crawley and Bess. What have they done recently to earn their spot?

Australia aren't as strong as you think.

I don't think it'll be a whitewash by any stretch. Everyone thought that'd be the case against a strong India side but you ended up winning the first test and generally the series was closer than expected.

How Bess continues to justify selection over Parkinson is unbelievable. I'd have had Mahmood over Overton as well - adds a point of difference due to his pace and think he'd suit the pitches.

Can see why no new batsmen have been selected tbf. Yates, Abell, Bohannon, Haines could all make a case but Australia is an unforgiving place to debut as a batter. However wouldn't have minded seeing Livingstone as think he has the temperament and play style for a tour down under.

Crawley makes sense to me actually. Has allegedly made some technical changes since being dropped and hasn't done badly for Kent since. 

29 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

Despite how likely it is that we will probably get smoked, I’ve heard there are some internal issues with the Aussies regarding Justin Langer. 

Seems Cricket Australia and many of the test players are at the end of their tether with him.

Some of the stuff on the (Amazon?) documentary about their test team was cringeworthy. Can't remember specific incidents now, due to an aged, shite memory, but I remember thinking Langer appeared as if he'd be too intense for many people. 

I remember reading once that Glenn Hoddle used to get exasperated with players when he managed because they couldn't do what he was once able to do. I wonder if there's a bit of that about Langer. He was a single minded, determined battler who probably got as much out of his playing career as he possibly could, I wonder if he struggles to empathise with those current players who don't do the same, for whatever reason. Regardless, they don't seem a happy camp right enough. I still struggle to see England doing too much. They crumble under pressure (usually) and they'll be under pressure from the moment they land.

Edited by Duquesne Whistle
Glen - Glenn

11 minutes ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

Some of the stuff on the (Amazon?) documentary about their test team was cringeworthy. Can't remember specific incidents now, due to an aged, shite memory, but I remember thinking Langer appeared as if he'd be too intense for many people. 

I remember reading once that Glenn Hoddle used to get exasperated with players when he managed because they couldn't do what he was once able to do. I wonder if there's a bit of that about Langer. He was a single minded, determined battler who probably got as much out of his playing career as he possibly could, I wonder if he struggles to empathise with those current players who don't do the same, for whatever reason. Regardless, they don't seem a happy camp right enough. I still struggle to see England doing too much. They crumble under pressure (usually) and they'll be under pressure from the moment they land.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/2021/aug/23/justin-langers-relationship-with-australian-cricketers-is-cooked

This was an interesting read. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The lack of Stokes really does highlight the all rounder issue. The bowling attack has shown promise this year with Robinson settling in but Anderson and Broad won't be up to 5 Tests each so Woakes and Wood have key roles. The batting still looks very suspect bar Root.

Can't see beyond a comfortable Australian win.

4 hours ago, StanSP said:

Australia aren't as strong as you think.

I don't think it'll be a whitewash by any stretch. Everyone thought that'd be the case against a strong India side but you ended up winning the first test and generally the series was closer than expected.

I agree that from number 1-11 its far from a world beating team that will line up for Australia, but I fear all it will need is a masterclass from Hazlewood and Cummins and that will be more than enough. 

Can see it being a really low scoring series, unfortunately due to the Ozzies barely needing to score any. 

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Tom Curran given the last over for Delhi Capitals when Rabada had one left with CSK needing 13 to win to make the IPL final.......

He'd bowled well in his first 3, yes, but Rabada at the death had to be a much better option.

I was backing Curran to finish that over well to be fair. A fluky Dhoni 4 knocked the confidence I reckon. Rabada would have been better (on hindsight!)

26 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

The Old Trafford area is now safe for Indian cricketers again, what a relief! And just after his team got knocked out of the IPL too...

I'm glad he's safe and well and feels confident to return. 

:ph34r:

51 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I'm glad he's safe and well and feels confident to return. 

:ph34r:

Reckon he'll be clobbered up in a black jacket belting out "U-N-I-T-E-D" down Burnmoor Street on Saturday.

Edited by Voll Blau