Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

14 hours ago, Manini said:

Yorkshire CCC suspended from hosting international matches and The Hundred matches - until “they can show they can reach the standards expected” 

what the **** does that mean? Until they turn around next week and tell the ECB they’re very sorry and it won’t happen again? Either go in hard and say 18 months/2 years or don’t ****ing bother. They’ll wriggle out of this and the planned international matches will go ahead next year, 100%. 

I kind of find it funny as I expect the other counties and the ECB to be quaking in their boots. From what I hear on other counties, there’s plenty of skeletons in closets. 

10 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Michael Vaughan posts memes about World War 2 despite having been born in 1974 which tells you what you need to know on that score.

Was saying to some mates a few months ago that Geraint Jones is now my favourite player from the '05 Ashes, purely because he's the squad member I know the least about.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

I kind of find it funny as I expect the other counties and the ECB to be quaking in their boots. From what I hear on other counties, there’s plenty of skeletons in closets. 

Without knowing so for a fact, I’m sure there’s been many incidents of overt and covert Racism in the club game across a number of counties, and Cricket in this country is one of the very few professional sports where the club game isn’t always a million miles away from county set ups in terms of level. So you’re probably right, it probably filters through.  

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Wtf 

This is fvcked up if true 

So, so grim.

This scandal could set the reputation of the sport in England back years if more victims come forward. I hope they do though, there are clearly a lot of proper wrong'uns involved in the sport who need to be weeded out.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

So, so grim.

This scandal could set the reputation of the sport in England back years if more victims come forward. I hope they do though, there are clearly a lot of proper wrong'uns involved in the sport who need to be weeded out.

Needs to come out on any scale. This is just the beginning, I feel. The way its handled now is likely to set the precedent (rightly so) for where incidents have happened at other clubs. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Only a fool would think this is a Yorkshire only problem. It happens it club cricket dressing rooms up and down the country each week. 

Years ago as a junior cricketer our coaches would use racist language when we played against city based teams.

Can believe that.  I won't name my former cricket club, but in a match against Leicester Caribbean the captain of said club said very audibly "watch they don't rape your missus" as one of their lads came out to bat.  Was raised to the league rep who didn't give a toss.  I mainly remember that quip as I received a match suspension for kicking a stump out when I was dismissed and asking why that's not on but those remarks are.  Sadly one of a litany of vile things I've heard over the years in and around cricket.

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Corky said:

Chuck them in Minor Counties cricket.

And ban Vaughan from the media.

To be fair Vaughan should be banned for being a numpty in general. My ears.

Aside from that, I don't think cancelling the likes of him or Ballance would be right. I just want to see them accept their shortcomings, apologise for the hurt they've caused and aim to do better in future. Vaughan wont do that because he's an arrogant prat.

5 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Beggars belief who are these people????, i just don't understand it and it seems so rife in our society. Baffles my mind.

Those who basically don't know better. 

And who perhaps have been brought up in environments where other people have got away with it/not been questioned on it or called out. 

Similar to domestic abuse and how a child could have that lived experience, and they grow up thinking that's how life is, so they replicate that behaviour. These days it's different as there's active encouragement to report and also significantly better support available. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Those who basically don't know better. 

And who perhaps have been brought up in environments where other people have got away with it/not been questioned on it or called out. 

Similar to domestic abuse and how a child could have that lived experience, and they grow up thinking that's how life is, so they replicate that behaviour. These days it's different as there's active encouragement to report and also significantly better support available. 

It's just something that I simply don't understand, so it all makes no sense to me.  I just don't understand why someone would behave like that, use those words, and possibly even find it funny.  I would genuinely like to sit down with someone who behaved that way and try and understand why they are (or were) like that.

38 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Aside from that, I don't think cancelling the likes of him or Ballance would be right. I just want to see them accept their shortcomings, apologise for the hurt they've caused and aim to do better in future. Vaughan wont do that because he's an arrogant prat.

Weird comparison here, but, wouldn't be a bad idea for one of them to admit their wrongdoings and become a full anti-campaigner in support of the changes needed. Similar to how David Millar in cycling doped and is now a huge anti doping figure

Edited by UniFox21

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

I don't want him cancelled (unless he's guilty of any offence), I just don't like him as a broadcaster.

Yorkshire have spectacularly ballsed this up. Even if you aren't that bothered, just chuck them on a token awareness course as a PR exercise. To pretty much say it's not worth worrying about is incredible.

I have some insight in to this through a number of people I know who've played County Cricket or otherwise been involved in the professional game.

Whenever the subject of cricketers they found distasteful came up; MV's name was always toward the top of the list. From memory he was described as aloof, a womaniser, a sexist, a racist, a bigot and a bully.

I've never met the man, but there was pretty much consensus that he's a nasty piece of work. I've never seen some of his stuff on twitter, but it is a bit odd how he has got the BBC gig and managed to become a strong voice in English cricket when you add it all up. There again, we are pretty much talking about cricket being rotten to the core.

Long been rumoured issues of this sort within English cricket generally; and moreso at Lancashire and Yorkshire. Bet there are some other cricketing management teams and boards looking around nervously at the moment.

Should point out I don't know and have never met MV; just passing on the above. You make your own mind up!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Was saying to some mates a few months ago that Geraint Jones is now my favourite player from the '05 Ashes, purely because he's the squad member I know the least about.

I know a few lads who played with him at Kent and never heard much about him to be honest; which suggests he's likely a good egg / (bit boring?) .

5 hours ago, Lionator said:

Only a fool would think this is a Yorkshire only problem. It happens it club cricket dressing rooms up and down the country each week. 

Years ago as a junior cricketer our coaches would use racist language when we played against city based teams.

Sad, but absolutely true. I think this kind of behaviour is more common place then alot think.

7 hours ago, Lionator said:

I can completely vouch for the latter comment. I played cricket for my city school. Remember vividly batting at no 6. Came out, played a few strokes and was at the non batters end. The umpire/teacher from the other school made two comments about how ‘one of us had show these lot how to play proper cricket’ and ‘none of this swinging stuff them lot do’