Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

4 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

I know a few lads who played with him at Kent and never heard much about him to be honest; which suggests he's likely a good egg / (bit boring?) .

The fact the fella played eventually for his country of birth (Papua New Guinea) and is now a trained firefighter speaks volumes for him

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The fact the fella played eventually for his country of birth (Papua New Guinea) and is now a trained firefighter speaks volumes for him

I'm actually not sure that does speak volumes; but its an interesting observation. I don't mean to be dismissive, but I'm not sure any of this has any bearing?

I know many firemen and policemen, they are no more virtuous than the average man picked out on the street.

Also not an attack on Geraint; I have no reason to believe he's anything other than a saint.

11 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I can completely vouch for the latter comment. I played cricket for my city school. Remember vividly batting at no 6. Came out, played a few strokes and was at the non batters end. The umpire/teacher from the other school made two comments about how ‘one of us had show these lot how to play proper cricket’ and ‘none of this swinging stuff them lot do’

Just because you're from Cardiff? 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

It's just something that I simply don't understand, so it all makes no sense to me.  I just don't understand why someone would behave like that, use those words, and possibly even find it funny.  I would genuinely like to sit down with someone who behaved that way and try and understand why they are (or were) like that.

Because they've probably got away with it for a considerably long time. Or perhaps been around people in cricket (from youth, amateur, minor counties, semi-pro, pro) who have displayed that behaviour and seen that they got away with it too.

The response to racism and injustices in all industries has come on leaps and bounds because of the reporting of it and in the modern age you just can't get way with 'banter' any more. The fact 'banter' was used as an excuse to get away with it is quite pathetic in my opinon. A weak cop-out of an excuse, and as if the feelings of the victim don't actually matter.

• Like 3