Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

Bit late but regards the world cup pitches again:

I've read a lot that the toss was vital and winning the toss and putting the opposition in to bat resulted in most wins. 

What difference does it actually make? What's going on there in a literal sense? Does a pitch become more lively really just after the other teams 20 over innings? If so, what's changing physically and how in such a short space? Or is it all just psychological? Is there a psychological boost to chasing a bit like a home field advantage in other sports? 

33 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Can't claim to be surprised by some of the names mentioned in Rafiq's evidence this morning. Grim viewing.

23 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Leicestershire mentioned. Saddening but, again, unsurprising. :(

Not nice to read at all. Eye-opening really. Credit to Rafiq for pursuing it. Yorkshire have acted disgracefully. 

As have the PCA. They've been outed as an embarrassing 'support' service following what Rafiq is saying today. 

• Like 2

Guest Chocolate Teapot
48 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Wow. 

It's awful.

Funnily enough it does not suprise me at all to hear Hales mentioned. He's an absolute piece of work by all accounts.

I don't know if I'm shielded from this type of stuff because I haven't lived in a city for years, but I'd no idea it was so open, consistent and relentless until I just listened to that Rafiq interview. For all the incidents brought up in this interview, guaranteed there's dozens more that Rafiq doesn't even recall because it was so obviously continual.

Clearly I'm still naive even at my advanced age, but I'd have expected an official or just a decent human being to have called this out as it was happening.  It's easy to say when you're not sticking your neck on the line, but I honestly think I'd have said something if I heard that sort of thing directed at people. Maybe I'm kidding myself, but I don't think so.

Anyway, there's a lot of people who should be ashamed by this, not just those who made the comments. Silence isn't as bad, but it's not far off. Sporting environments are full of banter, but no one would seriously consider what was said as banter. Thoroughly shameful stuff.

I don't follow cricket, wouldn't really consider myself a cricket fan but I'll watch the ashes and the odd T20 game if its on. Surely this isn't at all surprising, given the public school boy upbringing of the majority of cricketers, its endemic in that line of life, everyone knows it people just don't like to say it. Issues like this were always going to be brought to light. Rugby will be next if it hasn't already. 

1 hour ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I don't follow cricket, wouldn't really consider myself a cricket fan but I'll watch the ashes and the odd T20 game if its on. Surely this isn't at all surprising, given the public school boy upbringing of the majority of cricketers, its endemic in that line of life, everyone knows it people just don't like to say it. Issues like this were always going to be brought to light. Rugby will be next if it hasn't already. 

The problem with that argument is it falls down at Yorkshire being the club involved - a county where the game is still very much a working class sport at recreational level. Harrow-educated Ballance aside, I think almost everyone else named would have been state educated.

Cricket has huge problems with classism and elitism, but you can"t pin it on that in this case.

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

I don't know if I'm shielded from this type of stuff because I haven't lived in a city for years, but I'd no idea it was so open, consistent and relentless until I just listened to that Rafiq interview. For all the incidents brought up in this interview, guaranteed there's dozens more that Rafiq doesn't even recall because it was so obviously continual.

Clearly I'm still naive even at my advanced age, but I'd have expected an official or just a decent human being to have called this out as it was happening.  It's easy to say when you're not sticking your neck on the line, but I honestly think I'd have said something if I heard that sort of thing directed at people. Maybe I'm kidding myself, but I don't think so.

Anyway, there's a lot of people who should be ashamed by this, not just those who made the comments. Silence isn't as bad, but it's not far off. Sporting environments are full of banter, but no one would seriously consider what was said as banter. Thoroughly shameful stuff.

I think therein lies the issue in that hierarchy and just general culture at Yorkshire (and other counties) is just stuck in a different age. 

When you have people at the top witnessing it but ignoring it, not calling it out and just plainly accepting it as it happens, and turning a blind eye to it, it allows this kind of heinous behaviour to not just creep in, but to actually physically manifest itself in to everyday life. Therefore you get people like Ballance, who had open complaints or reports against him, elevated to captain and to a position of power. That also in itself is Yorkshire shooting itself in the foot. Instead of addressing an issue that could have been solved, they lacked accountability for their shortcomings and made a big error in that appointment. On the face of it, it basically shoves 2 fingers up at Rafiq whilst enabling that very behaviour by saying 'you can have reports against you, reports of racism at that, but don't worry, you can still succeed and achieve here because we'll find opportunity for you'. 

What breaks my heart more than the racism is how he was treated after his son was still-born. Yorkshire's sheer lack of support was disgraceful here, and made Rafiq out to be almost at fault and offered him no assistance at what would have been a seriously tragic thing to go through. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

The problem with that argument is it falls down at Yorkshire being the club involved - a county where the game is still very much a working class sport at recreational level. Harrow-educated Ballance aside, I think almost everyone else named would have been state educated.

Cricket has huge problems with classism and elitism, but you can pin it on that in this case.

Good point. Agreed. 

Mentioned this earlier in the thread but anyone whose played club cricket in Leics knows this exists. When I was a youngun I’d play against predominantly Asian teams who our coaches would regularly refer to as p*ki’s. 

A sad day for the sport but also hopefully the start of something more positive moving forward. 

Edited by Lionator

11 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Also Alex Hales calling his dog ‘Kevin’ because it was Ballance’s nickname for people of colour is genuinely sickening. He should be banned from the sport, he’s got a rep as a bit of a pr*ck anyway. 

Similar happened when Pujara was there calling him 'Steve'. Even though Pujara has said he doesn't/didn't like it. Purely because they couldn't pronounce his first name... 

49 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Also Alex Hales calling his dog ‘Kevin’ because it was Ballance’s nickname for people of colour is genuinely sickening. He should be banned from the sport, he’s got a rep as a bit of a pr*ck anyway. 

I've briefly seen Alex Hales at close quarters with supporters.  I can confirm an absolute first class cnut of the highest order 

• Like 1