Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

22 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Twitter and Facebook comment sections are a cesspit. There's a desperation to not believe Rafiq.

The irony is that I've seen three different people make shitty comments that had "We stand with Saka, Sancho and Rashford" on their profile picture, without a hint of irony.

I think people are just trapped in the brainwash of stupidity when it comes to social media. Like you say, the irony is totally missed as to what campaigns or backing they give to some, but not others. To me, it just shows underlying prejudices they may have. Difficult to liaise with these people on the medium of social media and try to get them to change their ways on it. Rarely have any decent debates/conversations on social media (FB is far worse in my eyes than Twitter). 

It's too easy to have a loud voice on social media. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

Twitter and Facebook comment sections are a cesspit. There's a desperation to not believe Rafiq.

The irony is that I've seen three different people make shitty comments that had "We stand with Saka, Sancho and Rashford" on their profile picture, without a hint of irony.

Newspaper comments too are pretty unkind as well .

16 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Not to this extent (thank god) but I bet many Asians have suffered some of what Rafiq is describing in his testimony. 

I know when I was coming up in my career in the city, things like calling me a random first name, making fun of my parents professions (which was ridiculous given my parents have done pretty well for themselves) and essentially using my colour/heritage as a source of “banter” was all normal. 

The Pujara incident probably won't be a major talking point but it is part of an issue that is prevalent in sport- that of not bothering to learn people's names properly, particularly foreign names. It gets laughed off on Soccer Saturday but it shouldn't, it is lazy and disrespectful.

There is no excuse for not learning, or attempting to properly learn, somebody's name, first and surname.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, StanSP said:

Similar happened when Pujara was there calling him 'Steve'. Even though Pujara has said he doesn't/didn't like it. Purely because they couldn't pronounce his first name... 

Couldn't pronounce his name or couldn't be bothered to. Witnessed this many times where people taking the piss out of Asian names, pretend they cant pronounce them. Shortening names is one thing, but to change a person's name without their approval is just ignorant. On another note was Kevin used as a derogatory term because of how much Pietersen was hated in English circles?

2 hours ago, Corky said:

The Pujara incident probably won't be a major talking point but it is part of an issue that is prevalent in sport- that of not bothering to learn people's names properly, particularly foreign names. It gets laughed off on Soccer Saturday but it shouldn't, it is lazy and disrespectful.

There is no excuse for not learning, or attempting to properly learn, somebody's name, first and surname.

Absolutely agree with this. It winds my dad up no end. Once, a supplier or prospective supplier walked into my dads business, sat in his office (with the intention of selling him something) and said “can I call you so so”. This is probably 30 odd years ago and it still winds my dad up. I sometimes remind him of it if I fancy a dad rant :D

14 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Absolutely agree with this. It winds my dad up no end. Once, a supplier or prospective supplier walked into my dads business, sat in his office (with the intention of selling him something) and said “can I call you so so”. This is probably 30 odd years ago and it still winds my dad up. I sometimes remind him of it if I fancy a dad rant :D

I was called "Reggie" at work as it was too difficult for some to call me Raj.

They had no chance of Rajesh!!!

One even asked if I had a nickname. In the end I was so bored of it I said" mate if Raj is too hard just call me R!"

The scales have really fallen from my eyes when it comes to cricket in this country. The game is run by arseholes, and county dressing rooms seem to be full of arseholes.

And we wonder why we can't get the various asian communities involved more deeply at Leicestershire? It's absolutely pathetic.

Hoggard seems to have come out of things quite well though, I wonder if he was part of the group in the Yorkshire dressing room that complained about Bresnan. It seemed like they didn't want him around and maybe that's why he ended up with us.

10 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Why wouldn't they believe him? Several of the accused have admitted saying/ doing what was alleged and also apologised. Only Vaughan really denying it.

• Like 1

On 16/11/2021 at 17:25, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I don't follow cricket, wouldn't really consider myself a cricket fan but I'll watch the ashes and the odd T20 game if its on. Surely this isn't at all surprising, given the public school boy upbringing of the majority of cricketers, its endemic in that line of life, everyone knows it people just don't like to say it. Issues like this were always going to be brought to light. Rugby will be next if it hasn't already. 

I cant make a collective around the country..But Tigers Dressing room, Junior clubs Dressing rooms ,Training Pitches ,

Athletic-clubs, ( Coritanians/Gateway) didnt suffer the same Aflictions like football clubs. In fact I remember One so called boardmember being taken down when attempting a so called banterous-racist remark...

Though in athletics like Tennis there could be a lot of discrimination issues..between Athletes/coaches & functionaries/Marshals..

I Never came across it with Youth  participants...Home or overseas.I

Problem with cricket, or was or still is a closed-shop Domain of Mixed Upper Class Toffs/Full in discrimination guys,especially in Yorkshire C.C.C.

where Rugby didnt seem to suffer so heavily such fools,even at England level.

9 hours ago, Corky said:

Why wouldn't they believe him? Several of the accused have admitted saying/ doing what was alleged and also apologised. Only Vaughan really denying it.

Because that is part of the problem isn’t it. People don’t want to believe it because they know deep down that it’s wrong and they’re probably guilty if it too. 

• Like 1

On 16/11/2021 at 22:07, StanSP said:

I find it ironic Dan Roan is a reporter on this story, especially considering his comments literally hours after Vichai's death... 

I think the same with Jonathan Agnew. 

He's EXACTLY the sort of aloof, privileged toff that holds cricket back. Getting him - a white, late middle aged Uppingham school educated posho -  to discuss racism is excruciating, at best. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

He's EXACTLY the sort of aloof, privileged toff that holds cricket back. Getting him - a white, late middle aged Uppingham school educated posho -  to discuss racism is excruciating, at best. 

So do you exclude them from the conversation then? 

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Weird take. Yes, lets have only non-white working class people discussing racism. That'll help won't it?

Unless you're outing Agnew as a massive racist or something? 

23 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Rafiq seems to have a few skeletons himself relating to when he was 19.  

going out there to highlight the awful treatment he had places him in the firing line - not entirely fair but inevitable 

Yes - I am sure someone would have been checking his social media etc.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59338118

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I dont agree with this at all. Some of the nicest most accommodating and interesting people I have met are white, middle aged and private school educated. This stereotyping is part of the problem. I don't know Agnew but I do know of others who share some of the characteristics described. One of my long term mentors who I am still in contact with today has helped me immensely grow in a profession, which until quite recently was predominantly exclusive - He's white, I met him when he was middle aged (he'll probably still want to be classed as that) and private school educated with an Oxbridge degree!

People are people. Individuals. 

If you dont like Agnew, fine. But hold back on everyone else who just so happens to share those three characteristics. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I dont agree with this at all. Some of the nicest most accommodating and interesting people I have met are white, middle aged and private school educated. This stereotyping is part of the problem. I don't know Agnew but I do know of others who share some of the characteristics described. One of my long term mentors who I am still in contact with today has helped me immensely grow in a profession, which until quite recently was predominantly exclusive - He's white, I met him when he was middle aged (he'll probably still want to be classed as that) and private school educated with an Oxbridge degree!

People are people. Individuals. 

If you dont like Agnew, fine. But hold back on everyone else who just so happens to share those three characteristics. 

You're right. I don't like Agnew full stop. Awful man.  

But I do find him, regardless of personal dislike,  commenting on the current cricketing racial issues an agonising listen. I felt the same when he recently interviewed Michael holding. He was way out of his depth.

The man is comfortable talking about selection committees, Cape Town wines,  fruit cakes or Sir Colin cowdrey or labrador dogs. He's, imo, wholly unsuited/incapable of basic journalistic examination of his 'chums' on this particular issue.

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Rafiq seems to have a few skeletons himself relating to when he was 19.  

going out there to highlight the awful treatment he had places him in the firing line - not entirely fair but inevitable 

Yorkshire seems like a horrible county to be involved in.

The game is suffering massively because of all this. So depressing.