Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UpTheLeagueFox

Barrie Pierpoint: LCFC Death Threats in the 1990s

12 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

As much as we may hate to admit it.  They were probably in the right in the power struggle.  Most fans including myself took the other side because MON was with them and we wanted the biggest and best players possible at the club. 

In hindsight backing the wrong horse almost cost us our football club and we almost folded a few years later as the money had run out.

As Barrie says in the clip - and explains more in the longer interview which will go on YouTube soon - it was never actually "Gang Of Four vs MON". That was the media narrative.

It was a boardroom split - the Go4 wanted to make sure the club was being prudently run and not going crazy with money - and MON was never involved.

I think it's fair to say we would've avoided the pitfalls which came our way if the club had been run better.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, murphy said:

Well it was a long time ago and I regret it now, obviously, but he had just put the last packet of turkey twizzlers into his trolley so he was asking for it really.

Well yeah absolutely. I was talking about trivial matters like football, not serious subjects like turkey twizzlers!

• Like 1

A brief, sort of related aside. I was once chairman of our local then quite high profile Welsh rugby club. We were having a difficult season and flirting with relegation from the top division. I was accosted by two vociferous supporters in the clubhouse after a defeat late in the season and told in all seriousness I should hang myself off a local bridge. Sport can certainly raise the emotions, off as well as on the field. Ps we survived, so did I. 

• Like 3

I know some people in sport get abuse from punters who have lost money after backing them but it seems crazy that you could get so pent up about a chairman as a supporter where you wake up in the morning and think "Shopping? Take the kids to the park? Exercise? Pursue a hobby? Nah, I'll fire a few death threats off to my club's chairman instead." Crazy stuff!

Unless it's Dennis Wise of course 😉

Edited by Collymore

20 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

A brief, sort of related aside. I was once chairman of our local then quite high profile Welsh rugby club. We were having a difficult season and flirting with relegation from the top division. I was accosted by two vociferous supporters in the clubhouse after a defeat late in the season and told in all seriousness I should hang myself off a local bridge. Sport can certainly raise the emotions, off as well as on the field. Ps we survived, so did I. 

Pathetic really isn't it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wymsey said:

Heard him mention this when we both were talking about the club's poor periods around 10 years ago now before a game.

He wasn't the only one receiving the threats at the time.

It's mad to think ANYONE gets death threats but to someone who works in a football club, and had raised a lot of money for the club including for signings, is baffling.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

When I saw the thread title it reminded me of the death threats made from the terraces in the 70s when the other team scored.

Hundreds would join together and sing to the opposition fans that football classic of the time, 'You're going to get your f ing heads kicked in'.

We've moved on.

Sadly society hasn't entirely moved on judging by the abuse / threats people still get.

50 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Remember when Brendan left Celtic there were people singing songs about him being killed by the IRA. :nono:

People are weird about sport.

I can sort of understand it a bit more in this case, because it is a slight on their opinion of their club, and by extension themselves.  A power struggle in the boardroom?  Who has a clue who is on what side?

7 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

As much as we may hate to admit it.  They were probably in the right in the power struggle.  Most fans including myself took the other side because MON was with them and we wanted the biggest and best players possible at the club. 

In hindsight backing the wrong horse almost cost us our football club and we almost folded a few years later as the money had run out.

Can’t go into the detail of why I saw both sides of the schism but objectively speaking (difficult after 57 years of obsession about and rapid support of our club) “The Gang of Four” were a class act compared to the other side of that dispute, as proved by what followed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

You may well be right, but I think a lot of us felt the club was invincible by that point. We were on our way to an 8th place finish and third League Cup, we'd started looking at new stadium options and the game's money pot was only getting bigger.

Nobody at that point could have predicted having to replace MON with the most destructive manager in the club's history and ending up getting relegated just in time to caught up in the ITV Digital storm.

An ex workmate worked with him at the club.  He will not have a bad word said about him.  Says he was professional, knew what he was doing & always approachable.

That whole episode leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.  It was a mistake for the fans side 100% with O'Neill & turn against the board (in particular Pierpoint).  Those 'Don't Go Martin' signs were quite frankly embarrassing & here was a bloke who (from what I've heard) genuinely had the clubs interests at heart. 

O'Neill only cared about O'Neill.

• Like 3