Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UpTheLeagueFox

Barrie Pierpoint: LCFC Death Threats in the 1990s

25 minutes ago, pSinatra said:

An ex workmate worked with him at the club.  He will not have a bad word said about him.  Says he was professional, knew what he was doing & always approachable.

That whole episode leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.  It was a mistake for the fans side 100% with O'Neill & turn against the board (in particular Pierpoint).  Those 'Don't Go Martin' signs were quite frankly embarrassing & here was a bloke who (from what I've heard) genuinely had the clubs interests at heart. 

O'Neill only cared about O'Neill.

I can understand that. MON brought me great joy as a fan, less so in other ways.

As for Barrie, I had a fair few dealings with him as a journalist, and also did some work for him. He was maybe a bit 'flash' for some but I always found him up front, straight to the point and positive about moving the club forward. MON should've worked with him rather than blanking him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Line-X said:

Didn't Dejan Lovren receive them not so long ago? Unfathomable. 

I think, like racism, this stuff gets attached to football, but it's an indicator of a much deeper societal issue. I sometimes feel that football is expected to cure society's ills, where the people paid to govern just stand idly by, pretending they have nothing to do with it. In that sense, too much is expected of football, and I kind of despair at the unfairness of it.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I think, like racism, this stuff gets attached to football, but it's an indicator of a much deeper societal issue. I sometimes feel that football is expected to cure society's ills, where the people paid to govern just stand idly by, pretending they have nothing to do with it. In that sense, too much is expected of football, and I kind of despair at the unfairness of it.

Peaky, you do realise you've posted something eminently sensible on FT don't you? 

Shame on you.

I remember the Pierpoint out protests lates 90’s. We’d played Liverpool and drew 2-2. I was a keen autograph hunter back then, only 10/11 years old. That many people there the Liverpool team bus had to go round the east stand for the Liverpool team. 

It wasn't just Pierpoint. Do you remember when Manderic was taking us over? The people who had put their hands in their pockets to save the club from liquidation were getting death threats because people thought they wouldn't sell their shares. There was a lot of that attitude on here.

It's ridiculous, we all love the club, but to threaten someone's life, even though it was probably a hollow threat, is sick.

Edited by Webbo

• 1 month later...

I once had a mate, Arti, who after a long discussion said he’d take out the whole game of four in the supermarket for a fiver. 
Well after a few beers, and being pissed off with what was happening with the club I handed over five quid and told him to do it.

Anyway nursing a hangover and completely forgetting about the previous night, I was shocked to open the Mercury and see on page 4 ‘Artichokes 4 for £5 at Asda’

• Haha 1