Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Zear0

Formula 1 2021

7 minutes ago, Asha said:

Considering the last seven years have been fixed for Hamilton to dominate, it’s nice for something to go against Mercedes for a change. 

I remember the same things being said when elder Schumacher was running the show. What was it? FIA = Ferrari International Assistance?

Truth be told I couldn't stand Schumacher, but there was no denying he was a fantastic driver. So is Hamilton, the numbers themselves bear that out, like they do by saying Verstappen was better over the course of this season. Perhaps he might clock up similar numbers too by the time his career is done.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Would a red flag been a fairer option 

Re start the race from the grid ?

It wasnt even a fair race either lol Worn hards vs new softs, it was only going to end one way. An hour later I start can't believe Masi has fully orchestrated the destination of the title lol

Also, Mercedes didn't pit because they thought the race would end under safety car and therefore they'd have literally handed Max the title anyway.  

Some people blaming Mercedes strategy however they nailed it today.  Masi had other ideas.  What a joke.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

I remember the same things being said when elder Schumacher was running the show. What was it? FIA = Ferrari International Assistance?

Truth be told I couldn't stand Schumacher, but there was no denying he was a fantastic driver. So is Hamilton, the numbers themselves bear that out, like they do by saying Verstappen was better over the course of this season. Perhaps he might clock up similar numbers too by the time his career is done.

Very possible Verstappen goes on to beat Hamilton’s numbers purely because there will be more races. 

It’s why we can’t compare numbers across generations. Hamilton having more wins than Fangio doesn’t mean Fangio wasn’t a better driver, just that there are about 6 times more races now 😂 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

Also, Mercedes didn't pit because they thought the race would end under safety car and therefore they'd have literally handed Max the title anyway.  

Some people blaming Mercedes strategy however they nailed it today.  Masi had other ideas.  What a joke.

I still think they should have pitted the lap after Max did under the VSC, it ended when Hamilton would have just left his pit box I think so would still be in the lead. Other than that no, they would have been proved right had Latifi not crashed. Nothing they can have done at the end, would rather lose it with a genuine overtake in normal, unorchestrated racing conditions than by pitting and not being able to get past.

2 minutes ago, Asha said:

Very possible Verstappen goes on to beat Hamilton’s numbers purely because there will be more races. 

It’s why we can’t compare numbers across generations. Hamilton having more wins than Fangio doesn’t mean Fangio wasn’t a better driver, just that there are about 6 times more races now 😂 

I'm sure some maths guy has managed a formula to compensate for that and measure proportionally. It's something I could do given time and inclination tbh, not hard.

I'll see if I can dig something like it up.

NB. Though the racing itself has changed along with the points format. A few decades ago, you had a couple of drivers dying per season, so there's no denying the drivers of old faced more risk every time they drove and that might factor into how "good" they were.

From the 2021 rules:

48.12 If the clerk of the course considers it safe to do so, and the message "LAPPED CARS MAY NOW OVERTAKE" has been sent to all Competitors via the official messaging system, any cars that have been lapped by the leader will be required to pass the cars on the lead lap and the safety car. This will only apply to cars that were lapped at the time they crossed the Line at the end of the lap during which they crossed the first Safety Car line for the second time after the safety car was deployed. Having overtaken the cars on the lead lap and the safety car these cars should then proceed around the track at an appropriate speed, without overtaking, and make every effort to take up position at the back of the line of cars behind the safety car. Whilst they are overtaking, and in order to ensure this may be carried out safely, the cars on the lead lap must always stay on the racing line unless deviating from it is unavoidable. Unless the clerk of the course considers the presence of the safety car is still necessary, once the last lapped car has passed the leader the safety car will return to the pits at the end of the following lap. If the clerk of the course considers track conditions are unsuitable for overtaking the message "OVERTAKING WILL NOT BE PERMITTED" will be sent to all Competitors via the official messaging system.

9 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I'm sure some maths guy has managed a formula to compensate for that and measure proportionally. It's something I could do given time and inclination tbh, not hard.

NB. Though the racing itself has changed along with the points format. A few decades ago, you had a couple of drivers dying per season, so there's no denying the drivers of old faced more risk every time they drove and that might factor into how "good" they were.

@Asha I found this, perhaps working it in terms of % of wins based on races entered is something of a way to level the field?

https://www.essentiallysports.com/news-f1-driver-with-highest-win-percentages-where-do-lewis-hamilton-michael-schumacher-rank/

Fangio top with 46%, Ascari second with 39%, Hamilton third with 36%. Schumacher fifth with 30%.

TBH that top 10 reads like a list of all-time greats so purely on feeling I'd go with it.

NB. Of course, perhaps an even fairer distribution might involve % points of total possible points rather than just wins of total races (thus indicating greater consistency) but that might take some serious work with a spreadsheet.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

This. The sport was in danger of becoming a total monopoly. This and next years regulation changes might preserve it for much longer now. 

Asha is definitely trolling but I do find her comments funny. Seriously though, not sure this is good for f1. Wildly exciting edge of your seat stuff on the track. All the protests and rule book referring may put casuals off 

7 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

With all points adjusted to the current system Hamilton leads the way, followed by Schumacher, then Alonso, Kimi and Bottas completes the top 5.

I suppose the real test is points per race when adjusted for the current points system.

https://www.mostlyf1.com/statistics/all-time-stats/driver-stats/mosts/most-points-driver/

3 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

With all points adjusted to the current system Hamilton leads the way, followed by Schumacher, then Alonso, Kimi and Bottas completes the top 5.

I suppose the real test is points per race when adjusted for the current points system.

https://www.mostlyf1.com/statistics/all-time-stats/driver-stats/mosts/most-points-driver/

Haha, I edited my post to include that, you read my mind!

Might not actually be that difficult to do if you have the total number of races the greats participated in and the points adjustment has already been done?

Edited by leicsmac

9 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

@Asha I found this, perhaps working it in terms of % of wins based on races entered is something of a way to level the field?

https://www.essentiallysports.com/news-f1-driver-with-highest-win-percentages-where-do-lewis-hamilton-michael-schumacher-rank/

Fangio top with 46%, Ascari second with 39%, Hamilton third with 36%. Schumacher fifth with 30%.

TBH that top 10 reads like a list of all-time greats so purely on feeling I'd go with it.

NB. Of course, perhaps an even fairer distribution might involve % points of total possible points rather than just wins of total races (thus indicating greater consistency) but that might take some serious work with a spreadsheet.

That’s a pretty good list.

you’d have to account for differences in reliability too though. BIIIIIG difference from now to then. 

10 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Asha is definitely trolling but I do find her comments funny. Seriously though, not sure this is good for f1. Wildly exciting edge of your seat stuff on the track. All the protests and rule book referring may put casuals off 

Why? 

Casuals will have watched the race and ****ed off not worrying too much.

Meanwhile, diehards will be discussing this for years and it will be all over the back pages tomorrow!