Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Zear0

Formula 1 2021

1 hour ago, BlueSi13 said:

Seriously what is Hamilton supposed to do here? 

image.thumb.png.62a1907d721653081f224c08f8f0d00a.png

IMHO - and RB would hate it even more - brake even later and force the RB further out wide by being alongside like this further through the corner - (or brake even earlier to make sure he's fully behind before taking the corner - the problem was he wound up in-between and got into trouble).

1 hour ago, BlueSi13 said:

Red Bull need to sleep on this FAST because they have embarrassed themselves tonight.  Seriously what is Hamilton supposed to do here?  He has the slipstream, is faster, sees a gap on the inside and goes for it.  What is he supposed to do? slam on the brakes and wave Verstappen through like a good boy as Horner and Marko would expect?

As others have mentioned Verstappen then clearly steers in the direction of Hamilton (If Red Bull claim they didn't see Hamilton they are taking the absolute piss).  No 7 time World Champion backs out of this. 

Pure racing incident and SHOULD serve as a lesson for Verstappen as lets be honest, he'd have got Hamilton a few laps later anyways due to the Red Bull being comfortably the superior package at the moment.  

Hamilton understeered into him get over it lol was his fault he got the penalty move on

• Like 2

MV messed up, he and his team showed no class with their later comments. Bad losers, playground mentality on display. 

The gap was there and LH went for it, MV moved across and paid the penalty. Stewards bottled it but Hamilton has had these decisions all his career. He drove a great race and deserved the win 100%. 

MV needs to grow up, he clearly moved across the racing line, but you’ll never convince the LH haters. 

• Like 4

Martin Brundle said about Senna during his Top Gear tribute that when he was racing him he’d put his car in a position where his opponent would have to back out or have an accident and Verstappen has always been exactly the same. Lewis has backed out many times this year - Imola for example - so this scenario was pretty inevitable in the end 🤷‍♂️ the scary part was where it finally happened. Luckily he’s all good.

Verstappen tried to scare him out of it by moving twice in the corner (you can see it on the onboard camera he went across to the right twice) the way he was driving down the hanger straight showed he wasn’t going to give Lewis one bit of the same respect he’d been given previously. 

The penalty was harsh it was at best a racing incident. I don’t seem to remember Verstappen getting penalised when he forced Leclerc off the track on the final lap of Austria in a way which was literally bumping his opponent off the track either? Doesn’t add up as an equal scenario generally.

The only argument is Lewis could have slammed on the brakes - but even that would have just seen him slide into Max even more full on and then the accident would have been 10x worse with a heavier side/rear impact 🤷‍♂️ 

Lewis was always going to be blamed here but Verstappen has to be shown that he can’t just push anyone around like the way he does, he’s a crazy good, quick driver - but he needs to reign it in a tad otherwise he will hurt himself or someone else. 

It was a shame Ted Kravitz didn’t call things like this out to Horner when interviewing him because he wouldn’t have had a leg to stand on. Karuns review of Verstappens driving was excellent in showing the truth of this. 

• Like 4

Not long got back, great few days out

Didn't get the greatest view at the time but thought it looked a racing incident, the more I look at it now the more I think the penalty was the right call. The one gripe I have with Verstappen and every other driver that does this is him thinking the driver behind must back out. General rule is that a car must be half a car length alongside to be given any room, anything more and the lead car can do what he wants? Why? I'd say there is a car width (just) before contact is made, arguably if the collision never happened then the car width gap would have closed a little later round the corner, which to me suggests Hamilton simply understeered. Also I've never liked how drivers force each other off the track when they try to go around the outside and am supportive of stewards penalising drivers lately. It isn't hard racing it is simply poor driving.

As for the cheering, it was a bit odd but I would think it was more a reaction to seeing Verstappen spin off the track more than it was him going into the wall at high speed. No doubt had he finished on the podium he'd have been applauded. Before today Hamilton would have been booed if he stood on the podium in Zandvoort next month, now I think it'll be utter carnage as his fans are proper weird. Can see scenes similar to Spain 2008 tbh given racial abuse is the new in-thing

Also find it amusing that Hamilton makes a penalty count for nothing and questions are raised. FWIW I think incidents (maybe not all) should be position drops and not 5s penalties. Red Bull and Merc (as recently as 2 races ago in Perez' case) can pick up these time penalties and have it mean zilch. I mean Verstappen wanted to carry on after passing Hamilton at Bahrain earlier this season and try and pull a 5s gap for the penalty he would have received. How is that right?? I think Rosberg won a race at Malaysia in a similar fashion?

Christian Horner and Helmut Marko are just absolute embarrasments, and with Marko being a total psychopath I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Perez collide with Hamilton before the end of the season. There is no other team that would have reacted in the way they have. Verstappen's comments tonight are a bit silly also. Absolutely laughable that they pitted Perez today from 9th (?), out of the points just to take fastest lap away from Hamilton while collecting 0 himself. He is as big a bitch to Verstappen as Bottas is to Hamilton. Speaking of Bottas has he ever overtaken Hamilton, or Verstappen in the last couple of years in normal race conditions? So not on lap one or with much fresher tyres than the others?

• Like 1

Hamilton didn't understeer. He moved left to get a better line into the corner. That's because Max shoved him over to the wall before that. 

Lewis might have been alongside on the straight but he was never far enough alongside in the corner. Max outbraked him round the outside because he had a better line into the corner and could carry more speed, which made Lewis hit his rear tyre rather than the side of his car. 

The gap was probably there for the attempt but ultimately he didn't have the angle to do it. His fault and the penalty was correct. Anyone flying up the inside for a move has to make sure they are far enough alongside when they get to the corner. 

Edited by The Bear

Penalty was justified. But Schumacher Senna Prost etc and Max himself would have done exactly the same thing. Hamilton simply cannot afford to let Verstappen get away from him so he has to race aggressively and when he's the car on the inside he has the advantage in any potential coming together. It was a shame Max was out of the race and you never like to see a big impact. Wasn't a blatant punt or anything like that, just a bit of a squeeze. I suspect it would have been a 5 sec but they often go 1 harsher when there's a big consequence even though they aren't supposed to. Been times in the past where Max has done the same and Hamilton be the one with more to lose who has backed out. 

There’s an interesting part to this as well that’s kinda been overlooked. Verstappen moved over twice on the approach to the corner - the second time Lewis came within CMs of going over the back of him at over 180mph. Remember the outrage when Schumacher in the Mercedes did the same to Barrichello at Hungary a few years back? Rubens (the nicest guy on the grid) pretty much accused Schumacher of trying to kill him. Now if that had happened and they’d both gone out there I wonder if that would have been Lewis’ fault? Verstappen did the same at Baku to Ricciardo his teammate and they were going so fast that Danny Ric had no where to go and they shunted. Ricciardo no doubt that day decided he was done with Red Bull and rightly so, he was pictured as the villain because ultimately he hit Max, but the momentum gave him zero chance. The stewards need to sit him down and show him these incidents and give him a warning that they like racing but you can only move the once, not back and forth he’s beyond dangerous at times. And then Lewis gets it in the neck, fair play to the bloke for handling himself with dignity unlike the Red Bull lot. 

I think the thing that's the most overlooked is the fact the red flag happened, had the red flag not happened and Hamilton got the 10 second penalty there's no way he wins that as it looked like they'd have done a two stop. I can see peoples arguements that if the stewards deemed him at fault for a drive ending accident then how can he only get 10 seconds from that? Penalty system is flawed but I think F1 is very hard to police in that regard tbh 

10 hours ago, Walkers said:

Christian Horner and Helmut Marko are just absolute embarrasments, and with Marko being a total psychopath I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Perez collide with Hamilton before the end of the season. There is no other team that would have reacted in the way they have. Verstappen's comments tonight are a bit silly also. Absolutely laughable that they pitted Perez today from 9th (?), out of the points just to take fastest lap away from Hamilton while collecting 0 himself. He is as big a bitch to Verstappen as Bottas is to Hamilton. Speaking of Bottas has he ever overtaken Hamilton, or Verstappen in the last couple of years in normal race conditions? So not on lap one or with much fresher tyres than the others?

Think you're being a bit daft here tbh, they were hyperbolic comments but every team does this. Lauda especially during Nico and Lewis would make some absolute ludicrous comments about his own driver, I mean you're suggesting they're going to actively try and crash into Lewis now which is baffling, proper they wanted a German driver to win conspiracy theories coming back now Lewis is under the cosh lol . As for Perez pitting, redbulls strategy has been clear for a long time and they've almost sold. It as wanting max to being the youngest world champion. Keeping a 1 point gap for max over 2 points in the constructors on a bit swing race anyway was probably the better idea and let's be fair as well Merc would probably have a good point gap over Redbull at this point had they not let down bottas earlier this season.

Both are lapdops definitely and it's probably why gasly won't get another shot or George won't get his chance for at least another season or so. Both know competition in both teams would be a bit of a disaster with it this close its how you win championships at the end of the day

57 minutes ago, Amin said:

:D

Wasn't happy with the result but I got all the action sitting at Copse. 

Any good? I've been in 18/19/21 and only sat there once as I felt its too far away and you're still looking through the fence. No doubt its a good action zone and a great sight to see cars going through there. Sat in the grandstand on the old pit straight for practice to get a different view of Copse and was decent

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amin said:

:D

Wasn't happy with the result but I got all the action sitting at Copse. 

Copse was always my corner of choice to marshal the moto gp. When they changed the run off I moved to Chapel which is the start of the hangar straight.

The marshal point at Maggots/beckets is one of the best in the world. 

• Like 1

Too much Happy-fans Comments on "that incident"..

Red Bull Type Comments immature, and Ruined any of the normal rights to any indignation..

If Mercedes or any other F1-stalls would have reacted in the same light...I would think the same of them....Excuse-chasers!!

Race & face incident..Stop watering it down, or  forcing & pushing for Penalties..

"If" marshals do Insist on penalties, Ride it,  get on with it..!!

There are enough decent safety-valves for Drivers to adhere to...Its F1 it is dangerous..!!

They are testing a Never fully tested piece of equipment,that will Never

be accepted for normal road use...and they are testing themselves against the unknown,still with difficencies in their highly trained reactions.

14 hours ago, Walkers said:

Any good? I've been in 18/19/21 and only sat there once as I felt its too far away and you're still looking through the fence. No doubt its a good action zone and a great sight to see cars going through there. Sat in the grandstand on the old pit straight for practice to get a different view of Copse and was decent

I've been the same years as you, plus 2017 Friday. I picked Copse C purely because its the cheapest covered grandstand available. I only sit in it on the Sunday but I've got pretty lucky in the years I've been that there has been alot of action at Copse. I've also learnt from 18/19 that the best view is at the far right of the grandstand (from the grandstands pov) where you can see a little bit down the national pit straight. This meant I could see a few seconds leading up to the big crash on Sunday and the pass for the lead. The worst part of Copse is how cramped the grandstand is, could do with some refurbishment. 

Were you there all 3 days? 

14 hours ago, isaidno said:

Copse was always my corner of choice to marshal the moto gp. When they changed the run off I moved to Chapel which is the start of the hangar straight.

The marshal point at Maggots/beckets is one of the best in the world. 

Yes, sat at Becketts all day Saturday, always do. I've only seen F1 at Spa and Silverstone but I can't think of a better section of corners than Maggots-Becketts-Chapel when it comes to seeing high downforce cars at the limit. Maybe S1 at Suzuka and Austin? 

31 minutes ago, Amin said:

I've been the same years as you, plus 2017 Friday. I picked Copse C purely because its the cheapest covered grandstand available. I only sit in it on the Sunday but I've got pretty lucky in the years I've been that there has been alot of action at Copse. I've also learnt from 18/19 that the best view is at the far right of the grandstand (from the grandstands pov) where you can see a little bit down the national pit straight. This meant I could see a few seconds leading up to the big crash on Sunday and the pass for the lead. The worst part of Copse is how cramped the grandstand is, could do with some refurbishment. 

Were you there all 3 days? 

Yes, sat at Becketts all day Saturday, always do. I've only seen F1 at Spa and Silverstone but I can't think of a better section of corners than Maggots-Becketts-Chapel when it comes to seeing high downforce cars at the limit. Maybe S1 at Suzuka and Austin? 

I camped from Wednesday so was in Thursday to browse around the Fanzones etc and managed to catch the F1 show from Club. Prefer to spend the 3 days browsing around so managed to catch action just about everywhere except Copse and Stowe (similar reasons to Copse). Watched quali from the new Chapel grandstand which was a brilliant view, can just about see them coming out of Copse and whereas in Becketts you see them from a side view, Chapel they are coming towards you. Had inner track tickets for Friday too but was a bit of a waste of time this year with no F2 paddock access. Saw the sprint from Woodcote and race seats were in the Hamilton South. Was in Vale in 18 and Village in 19 (properly underrated grandstand). Never gonna see much wheel to wheel action where I was but I wanted to see a different perspective of it, seeing the pitlane, the start, podium etc. Also did the interactive museum on the Thursday which was better than expected

• Like 1

On 18/07/2021 at 22:21, BlueSi13 said:

Red Bull need to sleep on this FAST because they have embarrassed themselves tonight.  Seriously what is Hamilton supposed to do here?  He has the slipstream, is faster, sees a gap on the inside and goes for it.  What is he supposed to do? slam on the brakes and wave Verstappen through like a good boy as Horner and Marko would expect?

As others have mentioned Verstappen then clearly steers in the direction of Hamilton (If Red Bull claim they didn't see Hamilton they are taking the absolute piss).  No 7 time World Champion backs out of this. 

Pure racing incident and SHOULD serve as a lesson for Verstappen as lets be honest, he'd have got Hamilton a few laps later anyways due to the Red Bull being comfortably the superior package at the moment.  

he knew exactly what he was doing, he felt the pressure he needed to deliver in front fo the british crowd. Same thing happened with Albon twice i think when he knocked him off the track and it was an "accident" he has done it loads

I was there all three days and George and Lando are clearly favourites in the british crowd, Hamilton so predictable and boring him winning all the time 

Was great seeing how many british fans were supporting Verstappen and I was one of them. Sat at the end of hanger straight just as they break it was unreal 

P.s. never get park and ride tickets, got back to sixfields at 8pm on Sunday 

Edited by JonnyBoy
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, snoopy87 said:

Red Bull have challenged Hamilton's penalty from Silverstone.

I still personally think it was harsh!

Horner is making a meal out of this.  First he tells us Lewis cost him £1.3 million and now this.  Why now, on the eve of the Hungarian GP?  Why not last Monday?

This action sets precedent.  If future penalties are not to a teams liking, they will believe a penalty can and should be reviewed.

I've watched several videos back and differing views of opinion, but all boil down to the same conclusion - a racing incident where the penalty given ultimately (although a little harsh) reflected the nature of the situation given.

The issue to me seems to be with the idea that under the current rules, a car can be repaired in a red flag scenario.  Horner would not have a problem if this was not the case since Hamilton could not have continued himself if the car hadn't been repaired.

• Like 1