Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Zear0

Formula 1 2021

Watched the Schumacher doc last night. 

I enjoyed it, but it was mostly going over old ground with some new interviews from his family and friends. 

The biggest indicators of his current condition for me, was his wife saying they all "miss him" and just try to make him comfortable. And also Mick who said he would give anything to be able to talk motorsport again with his dad. 

To me that sounds like he can't communicate and is alive, but not really there. Kind of like Locked In syndrome where you're aware but completely paralysed, or just being pretty much a vegetative state.

Very sad to think of him  like that. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Bear said:

I enjoyed it, but it was mostly going over old ground with some new interviews from his family and friends. 

The biggest indicators of his current condition for me, was his wife saying they all "miss him" and just try to make him comfortable. And also Mick who said he would give anything to be able to talk motorsport again with his dad. 

To me that sounds like he can't communicate and is alive, but not really there. Kind of like Locked In syndrome where you're aware but completely paralysed, or just being pretty much a vegetative state.

100% - I think it’s also very telling that his family have been dead against him being in the public eye since his accident. They clearly want his legacy and how he is remembered to be based on how he was, rather than how he is now. If you read between the lines, the truth is something that you’ve described there. 

Very sad indeed. 

• Like 1

On 16/09/2021 at 12:17, The Bear said:

Yeah I think that’s a good analysis of it. It’s weird it really felt a bit “Senna” rip-off and not just because of the style but it’s structure etc was perhaps a bit too similar? I did enjoy it but I wouldn’t say it’s anymore than a 5/10 as there wasn’t a lot extra that we didn’t already know or see. 

On 16/09/2021 at 12:17, The Bear said:

Certainly see Schumacher the hard nosed competitive racing and the human caring, compassionate side of him with a tight knit family and working so hard to make his way.

So sad to think basically his years after F1 have been ruined by the tragic accident and Mick hasn't got that father figure to lean on and his wife hasn't got the post career husband she hoped for. 
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Verstappen (along with Leclerc) to start from the back of the grid after taking engine penalties.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/58681406

A strong Mercedes track but rain might shake things up a bit.

Just me that thinks this grid penalty system is seriously flawed? Teams are using them strategically and accumulating penalties, basically nullifying Verstappen's penalty from the last race. Surely if they want to persist with this system, they should keep a tally so you can only subtract X grid places compared to your final qualification placement in that particular race. The remaining grid penalty goes on to the next race and so on. 

Edited by shen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shen said:

Just me that thinks this grid penalty system is seriously flawed? Teams are using them strategically and accumulating penalties, basically nullifying Verstappen's penalty from the last race. Surely if they want to persist with this system, they should keep a tally so you can only subtract X grid places compared to your final qualification placement in that particular race. The remaining grid penalty goes on to the next race and so on. 

Hows it nullifying, he's being punished more. That's a bizarre system you've proposed and would only work for frontrunning cars lol, the whole penalty system for new components does need looking at cause it does feel like pretty much every driver takes at least one of these penalties a year

Edited by The Horse's Mouth

5 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Hows it nullifying, he's being punished more. That's a bizarre system you've proposed and would only work for frontrunning cars lol, the whole penalty system for new components does need looking at cause it does feel like pretty much every driver takes at least one of these penalties a year

Well, we've seen cases where drivers get a grid penalty beyond the number of cars participating in the race. Seems odd to me that you can accumulate and serve penalties in that way. Surely it wasn't meant to be used as a strategic tool by teams.

But you're right that my proposal would skew things further towards front runners. It was just a hastily conceived idea.

13 minutes ago, shen said:

Well, we've seen cases where drivers get a grid penalty beyond the number of cars participating in the race. Seems odd to me that you can accumulate and serve penalties in that way. Surely it wasn't meant to be used as a strategic tool by teams.

But you're right that my proposal would skew things further towards front runners. It was just a hastily conceived idea.

Sure but in this case it's not exactly a free hit either, he's having to start from that back when he would've only had a 3 grid drop, seems a weird thing to be annoyed about really. Component based penalties are definitely only there for strategic reasons tbh

5 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Sure but in this case it's not exactly a free hit either, he's having to start from that back when he would've only had a 3 grid drop, seems a weird thing to be annoyed about really. Component based penalties are definitely only there for strategic reasons tbh

I think the point is Verstappen had a 3 place penalty for the race, if the team were going to change his power unit next race, they've just moved it forward, and done it for this one. So instead of getting a 3 place penalty this week and starting from the back next race, he's just starting from the back once. The three place penalty should rollover, as he hasn't actually served that punishment.

It would be like a football team breaking two rules, one that results in a point deduction, the other in automatic relegation. They are given both in the same season, which nullifies the point deduction, because they aren't feeling the effect of that punishment, as they were relegated anyway.

• Like 2

Verstappen at the back, so an open goal for Hamilton here. Bottas has even openly promised to hand over the win if necessary! If Hamilton somehow fails again here, he doesn’t deserve the title. 

Will be fun to watch Max and Charles fighting through the field. 

4 hours ago, Facecloth said:

I think the point is Verstappen had a 3 place penalty for the race, if the team were going to change his power unit next race, they've just moved it forward, and done it for this one. So instead of getting a 3 place penalty this week and starting from the back next race, he's just starting from the back once. The three place penalty should rollover, as he hasn't actually served that punishment.

It would be like a football team breaking two rules, one that results in a point deduction, the other in automatic relegation. They are given both in the same season, which nullifies the point deduction, because they aren't feeling the effect of that punishment, as they were relegated anyway.

Again very strange thing to get annoyed about considering this practice has been part and parcel of the sport for years, hes serving the punishment by starting at the back of the grid lol. He's taken a further grid penalty which will see him worse off for the race, do not see the issue here. 

9 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Again very strange thing to get annoyed about considering this practice has been part and parcel of the sport for years, hes serving the punishment by starting at the back of the grid lol. He's taken a further grid penalty which will see him worse off for the race, do not see the issue here. 

I didn't bring it up, I simply explained why the grid penalty doesn't work, I've thought it for years, I've probably mentioned it previous years, but I'm not going back to check.

And you're wrong. He would start at the back for changing his unit, so he not serving the punishment of the 3 places for the accident he caused. He is serving a punishment by starting at the back, and that punishment is for changing the power unit, so when will he serve the punishment for the crash with Hamilton? The three places should rollover the the next race, simple as that. As I said earlier, what's better for him, 3 places this weekend and at the back next race, or move the power unit chane forward a race and start at the back this weekend and no penalty next race. Its not really that hard to understand surely? 

If Soyuncu gets a straight red today and a 3 game ban, then is found to have used racist language to an opponent, and is given a 12 game ban, in your scenario he serves a 12 game ban, it should be 15.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Not even going to bother with that, you're either trolling or are that skewed you can't have a sensible conversation 

Wherever. You really mean you have no real argument against what I've said.