Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Zear0

Formula 1 2021

Let's ignore which driver it is for a minute. Forget its Verstappen. 

If a team knows they will need to change the power unit in the next race, they know that carries a penalty of starting at the back of the grid. They also have a 3 or 5 or 10 place grid penalty to serve for an infringement. The can take the 3 to 10 place penalty this week and then also change unit next race and start that race from the back, having started the previous race from a lower grid position than usual.

Or they can change unit this week, start from the back a race early and never serve that 3 to 10 place penalty. Whether its Verstappen, Hamilton or whoever, its a shit system, its open to abuse. I've said for years it needs changes in these instances.

Can anyone explain why it shouldn't be changed? Can anyone give a sensible reasoning that it's a good rule?

Edited by Facecloth

7 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

No it's just a stupid argument, your analogy was horrific as well 

If it horrific you'd pull it apart, fact is you can't. I'm right, and you have nothing to go back at me with other than saying my argument is stupid, but you can't state why it's stupid, because it really isn't.

10 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

If it horrific you'd pull it apart, fact is you can't. I'm right, and you have nothing to go back at me with other than saying my argument is stupid, but you can't state why it's stupid, because it really isn't.

What's the point though, if you don't realise how stupid is it what's the point in going round in circles. You're already batting your chest out with the I'm right bollocks lol, you're clearly trolling at this point.

1 minute ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

What's the point though, if you don't realise how stupid is it what's the point in going round in circles. You're already batting your chest out with the I'm right bollocks lol, you're clearly trolling at this point.

Are you going to put a counter argument against what I've said, or are you going to keep whinging about how my argument is wrong without putting a side across? I'm saying I'm right, because you're not convincing me I'm not.

27 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

If a team knows they will need to change the power unit in the next race, they know that carries a penalty of starting at the back of the grid. They also have a 3 or 5 or 10 place grid penalty to serve for an infringement. The can take the 3 to 10 place penalty this week and then also change unit next race and start that race from the back, having started the previous race from a lower grid position than usual.

Or they can change unit this week, start from the back a race early and never serve that 3 to 10 place penalty. Whether its Verstappen, Hamilton or whoever, its a shit system, its open to abuse. I've said for years it needs changes in these instances.

Can anyone explain why it shouldn't be changed? Can anyone give a sensible reasoning that it's a good rule?

@The Horse's Mouth I'd like you to pull this apart, seeing as its so stupid. Go on, I'm prepared to listen where I'm so wrong about this. I will bow to your superior knowledge if if this is so stupid. Should be pretty easy for you. Go ahead, I'm all ears.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

In this case youre looking at it wrong though, the component based penalties are the issue here. Pretty much every team on the grid will take these penalties throughout the year, this tells you one or two things, the allocation isn't enough with what they're set or it's just a silly gimmick for some races to have people start from the back. The Perez incident from Hungary having to take the grid drop because of Bottas' actions shows how ludicrous it is. 

Don't agree with the idea of rolling penalties either, seems like overregulation to me, I mean if that system was in place mcclaren would only just have their first qualifying session by now

32 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

In this case youre looking at it wrong though, the component based penalties are the issue here. Pretty much every team on the grid will take these penalties throughout the year, this tells you one or two things, the allocation isn't enough with what they're set or it's just a silly gimmick for some races to have people start from the back. The Perez incident from Hungary having to take the grid drop because of Bottas' actions shows how ludicrous it is. 

Don't agree with the idea of rolling penalties either, seems like overregulation to me, I mean if that system was in place mcclaren would only just have their first qualifying session by now

The Perez situation was stupid, I think everyone agrees with that. I think what being argued this weekend though, is in these rare situations where a driver has penalty for an infringement, such as the one Verstappen has, or the one Hamilton had for the crash at Silverstone, they shouldn't be allowed to cover that with a power unit change penalty.

Now whether the component change penalty should be in place is a different argument. Whilst it is, it shouldn't be used to cover penalties for other incidents. Simple as that. Otherwise you are escaping one punishment.

If you have numerous grid penalties which put you at the back, and there are still technically grid place left you're unpunished for, I'm not on about them being rolled over. If a driver qualifies 18th and get 5 places that shouldn't be rolled over. I'm just talking specifically things like this weekend. The power unit change penalty is specifically putting the driver at the back of the grid, its not a number of grid spaces, so taking that wipes out any other grid penalty, and that shouldn't be allowed. And that's why it can be, and is abused, like it has been this weekend by Red Bull, and numerous teams in the past.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

Unfortunately he's definitely on the slide, he wasn't right from race 1 this season.  If he SOMEHOW manages to win his 8th WC I wouldn't be surprised at all if he walks away.

Still only 5 points from Max and will likely close that gap on Sunday… I wouldn’t say he is close to retiring because he has had a bit of a hard time and lost concentration. Plus if he did retire all the hammy haters will claim it is because Russell has joined mercedes and he is scared, so he can never win really 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

5 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Is hilarious chatting about it getting to max and he goes and bins it in the pits lol

Yeah I admit it was terrible, can’t hide from that one, like hitting a parked car. Just how much damage was done, could it effect his race 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

36 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Yeah I admit it was terrible, can’t hide from that one, like hitting a parked car. Just how much damage was done, could it effect his race 

Mmmmm.  Remember Max binned it off on the warm up lap before a race last season (?).  Can any repairs be made whilst on the grid tomorrow?

Not that I think they're needed on the front.  The rear slide looked worse to me.

Hamilton has made a lot of errors this season, on the other hand he's outperformed Bottas by as wide a margin as any other year. I do think the merc is a lot harder to drive on the limit this season compared to previous ones thanks to being hampered by regulations changes. I'm sure there will be Hamilton bashers wanting to use it as a stick to beat him with but really this is like 2005 and 2006 when Schumacher lost to Alonso. It's exciting seeing the young drivers starting to come through. Norris and Russel look like the real deal. Russel vs Hamilton will be interesting. Ricciardo got the win at Monza but really Norris has outperformed him over the season.