Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

It’d be impressive but if they do it we’re not going to be talking about Derby beating Reading, Peterborough and Barnsley to survival in 10 years time. 

Side note, love how it always comes back to our achievement, it’s the standard and clearly the one to beat anytime something happens in sport it’s the 1st one people make comparisons with. Winds Forest fans up too which is just the icing on the cake. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Yes said:

It’d be impressive but if they do it we’re not going to be talking about Derby beating Reading, Peterborough and Barnsley to survival in 10 years time. 

Side note, love how it always comes back to our achievement, it’s the standard and clearly the one to beat anytime something happens in sport it’s the 1st one people make comparisons with. Winds Forest fans up too which is just the icing on the cake. 

I also like the references but only to a point. Sometimes it feels like we are being spoken about as if we were  Halifax Town or some other giant killer. LCFC were already a top 20 Premier League club in the all-time league table so, although the bookies did the 5000-1 thing, the club were no rookies despite the image portrayed in the media. 

12 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

I also like the references but only to a point. Sometimes it feels like we are being spoken about as if we were  Halifax Town or some other giant killer. LCFC were already a top 20 Premier League club in the all-time league table so, although the bookies did the 5000-1 thing, the club were no rookies despite the image portrayed in the media. 

Yeah I didn’t like it when people were acting like we were some tiny club that no one had ever heard of because it’s obviously untrue, but anyone who said that was in a minority, most just take it for what it was and still rate it very highly which is why anytime someone even looks like achieving anything it’s “would it be bigger than Leicester?” 

19 hours ago, bovril said:

It was the most miraculous sports win ever. If anything it's underappreciated.

And yet you'll still see Forest fans claiming their European Cups were more miraculous, despite the fact it was 100x easier to win the European Cup in those days than it would be today.

Everyone has their biases, but to even try and deny something like us winning the title being the greatest English football (or sport if you feel inclined) achievement ever is just plain folly.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

And yet you'll still see Forest fans claiming their European Cups were more miraculous, despite the fact it was 100x easier to win the European Cup in those days than it would be today.

Everyone has their biases, but to even try and deny something like us winning the title being the greatest English football (or sport if you feel inclined) achievement ever is just plain folly.

It’s hilarious how every time you see one of those posts on social media that says ours is the best underdog story the comments are crawling with Forest fans crying that the post is about us and not them, still see it to this day they really can’t hack theirs isn’t considered as big as ours, even those connected to their club were at it when we first won it, sums them up. 

To be fair I still think it’s impressive how they did it, but you’re 100% right it was easier you only have to look at who they faced along the way, the team they faced in the first final were the underdogs not Forest, the bloke who scored the winner was a British record signing that cost as much as Jamie Vardy despite being bought over 30 years earlier, it just doesn’t compare. 

• Like 2

Rooney’s doing a good job at Derby. However, anyone who suggests if he pulls it off it’s even close to our title win is deluded. 

These same deluded lot are the ones who tell us our title win was a fluke because they still can’t comprehend what we did. That answers their questions. 

5 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

So having 21 points more than a relegation team in a 24 team league makes you a brilliant manager?

They have huge restrictions on their squad BUT they didn’t start the season with a non league playing staff! 

where they have weaknesses they are stuffed and have to play has beens but let’s not pretend he’s working with alfreton’s squad ….

11 hours ago, Messi said:

Just came across this comment on LinkedIn that could blow Goodman’s claims out the water! What are these people smoking?! 😂😂😂

6A963E3F-42DE-46BE-ABCE-D207DB85502C.jpeg

Good luck trying to win 2 European Cups as the competition died in 1992 :rolleyes:

23 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

I think we are underplaying their achievement too if I'm being honest, because we are Leicester fans. I'm not really arsed about them having won two European cups though. I would much rather have won fewer trophies and actually been alive to see the success. I was 21 and 26 years-old respectively when we won the league and the FA cup. There is absolutely no comparison between what I have witnessed and what Forest fans my age have witnessed in our lifetime. 

33 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I think we are underplaying their achievement too if I'm being honest, because we are Leicester fans. I'm not really arsed about them having won two European cups though. I would much rather have won fewer trophies and actually been alive to see the success. I was 21 and 26 years-old respectively when we won the league and the FA cup. There is absolutely no comparison between what I have witnessed and what Forest fans my age have witnessed in our lifetime. 

Probably right tbh, there is an element of trigger in me because I'm sick of people trying to compare our achievement to anything that's everso slightly out of the ordinary. Remember that heady day when Burnley were fourth (before the round of fixtures had even been finished that midweek) and the narrative was "Well if Burnley finish top four it might be a better achievement that Leicester."

I guess it's an easy shot, and an easy comparison to make. Div 2 to Div 1 champs and Euro cup winners twice in a row for Forest is obviously impressive, and we'd be lauding it now if it was us. The only thing I'd really counter with is that under Clough, Derby had won the title a couple of years after promotion from Div 2, and got to the Semis of the European Cup the season after their title win. Teams could win the title shortly after promotion, and could go deep in continental competition.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Probably right tbh, there is an element of trigger in me because I'm sick of people trying to compare our achievement to anything that's everso slightly out of the ordinary. Remember that heady day when Burnley were fourth (before the round of fixtures had even been finished that midweek) and the narrative was "Well if Burnley finish top four it might be a better achievement that Leicester."

I guess it's an easy shot, and an easy comparison to make. Div 2 to Div 1 champs and Euro cup winners twice in a row for Forest is obviously impressive, and we'd be lauding it now if it was us. The only thing I'd really counter with is that under Clough, Derby had won the title a couple of years after promotion from Div 2, and got to the Semis of the European Cup the season after their title win. Teams could win the title shortly after promotion, and could go deep in continental competition.

That was possible even up until the mid 90's with Blackburn and Newcastle, who really should have won the league!

9 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

What Forest did was amazing and we should not worry if some think it more impressive than our League win. To be the first new winners for 38 years plus the way the money has changed the competition is still brilliant.  To think we are also the newest name of FA cup winners for 8 years adds more gloss.