Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

12 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

Is it not? They won the league immediately after being promoted with what for the most part was a team of misfits and then went onto win back-to-back European cups, toppling Liverpool who were not only the dominant force in England at the time, but also Europe. I know they broke the British transfer record for Trevor Francis during that time, but they kept a lot of the side that were considered mid-table 2nd division players when Clough tookover. 

The financial disparity between the elite and us is what makes our achievement so special and probably more impressive. 

Forest won the league in 1977-78.   A very good achievement, but you have to remember that the situation was totally different to today.   In those days clubs were financially much more on an even par - nothing like the situation today.    Derby won the League in 1972 and 1975, and QPR were a only point off it in 1976.   Ipswich were only a few points off in 1977.   And across the Divisions, it was also much more equal.   2nd Division clubs won the FA Cup in 1973,1976 and 1980.  A different world.

In the European Cup, all Forest had to do was get lucky in 5 ties.   They had one good match in the First Round, where they knocked out the best team in Europe (Liverpool).   After that it was plain sailing in the next 3 ties.   And in the final, they came up against some Swedish village team.

The following year, they were even luckier.  God knows how they hung on to somehow beat Hamburg 1-0 in the most turgid final ever.   I think they had one shot in the whole match, which fattie Robbo somehow managed to squeeze into the corner.

• Like 3

All this is starting to sound a bit silly now

Who cares what Forest did 45 years ago? 

Fair play to them. I was minus 10 years old, but I’m sure it was great

Pretty sure most of their fans my age would trade their lifetimes history with ours though 

Edited by The Year Of The Fox
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Pretty sure most of their fans my age would trade their lifetimes history with ours though 

You're dead right.

Trouble is, I was around 45 years ago, and those bastards scarred me for life.   I hate 'em!   :)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

This is exactly it, they have a great time reading Wikipedia, watching vhs/dvds of their success - we it get to witness it.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, majaco said:

Forest winning the league and two European Cups was impressive.  Clough was brilliant.  It is a fantastic sporting story.

Where were we then?  We weren't  winning anything.  Now we have been/hopefully are (still) the fantastic story.  As a Leicester fan, I envy no other fan.   Despite the times when have been poor, I won the lottery by being a Leicester fan.

Totally agree with you.

Weren't winning anything?   I'll say.  I'll tell you what were doing in those 3 seasons:

1977-78
Getting relegated with the (then) lowest number of goals scored ever in the top flight.  Hideous season.
We also managed to get knocked out of both cup competitions by 3rd Division teams - the FA Cup one being away at Walsall to a last minute goal.  Still one of the worst moments ever.

1978-79
Just managed to avoid being relegated to the 3rd Div, with one match to spare.
(mostly thanks to a late Gary Lineker goal up a Notts County near the end of the season).

1979-80
Got stuffed 5-1 on aggregate by 3rd Division Rotherham Utd in the League Cup, and exceeded that by being knocked out the FA Cup by non-league Harlow Town (who weren't even a particularly good non-league team!).
Although we did end up getting promoted and actually won the 2nd Division Championship ... so it wasn't all bad.

Great days, even though we were mostly sh*t.    And great days now that we are mostly good.   :)

• Like 2

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-watford-fa-cup-6463105

Daily Mail

The lights briefly went out on Leicester's first campaign as FA Cup holders but James Maddison shone brightly through the gloom to ensure their defence began with a victory.

A combination of illness, injury and four men at the Africa Cup of Nations left Brendan Rodgers with only eight senior outfield players, with Jamie Vardy, Jonny Evans and Timothy Castagne among a remarkable 17 unavailable for this tie against Watford.

So when the floodlights failed 11 minutes into the second half – just after Harvey Barnes had put Leicester 3-1 up – Rodgers would have had a few dark thoughts.

For this game he used a winger at right-back, a midfielder in central defence and a winger up front, as well as giving a senior debut to Lewis Brunt, who began in midfield before moving to left-back.

Read the full report here.

Daily Telegraph

Youri Tielemans, the 2021 FA Cup final match-winner, scored the goal that sent holders Leicester City on their way to a thumping victory here - even though 17 absences meant they could not fill their substitutes’ bench.

The floodlights went out for a five-minute period during the second half - but much of Leicester’s slick play from their surviving players illuminated the King Power Stadium, as James Maddison, Harvey Barnes and Marc Albrighton all dazzled by striking in further goals.

Discussing the issues caused by the combination of injuries, Covid and the Africa Cup of Nations, Brendan Rodgers, Leicester’s manager, admitted: “I’ve never seen it before. It’s unique.”

Rodgers said he was “thrilled” by his patched-up squad, particularly stand-in centre back Hamza Choudhury.

Sky Sports

A floodlight failure and a raft of enforced changes could not derail Leicester as they began their defence of the FA Cup with a convincing 4-1 win over Watford.

Youri Tielemans and James Maddison got the Foxes off to a fine start in their third-round tie at the King Power Stadium before Harvey Barnes and Marc Albrighton struck after a Joao Pedro reply.

The lights went out for a short period early in the second half as the Foxes led 3-1, and Pedro hit the bar soon after the restart, but the hosts finished the stronger.

It was a lively encounter, despite managers Brendan Rodgers and Claudio Ranieri making a combined 16 changes between them.

BBC Sport

FA Cup holders Leicester City made an impressive start to their defence of the trophy as the much-changed Foxes swept aside fellow shadow side Watford.

Youri Tielemans - who scored City's winner at Wembley last May - put them ahead from the spot after Francisco Sierralta fouled Jannik Vestergaard.

James Maddison's cool finish doubled the lead but Joao Pedro immediately pulled one back for the Hornets.

However, strikes from Harvey Barnes and Marc Albrighton sealed an emphatic win.

• Like 1

On 06/01/2022 at 09:30, Footballwipe said:

And yet you'll still see Forest fans claiming their European Cups were more miraculous, despite the fact it was 100x easier to win the European Cup in those days than it would be today.

Everyone has their biases, but to even try and deny something like us winning the title being the greatest English football (or sport if you feel inclined) achievement ever is just plain folly.

To be fair (and I hate being fair to Forest fans), they don't have a lot to shout about nowadays, and it was a great achievement in their day. Just that in those days it was seen as normal for a non top 6 club to win the league - the gates were open for the likes of Derby, Villa and Forest to take the top slot, and has been pointed out, Euro opposition wasn't always great. Times have changed, none more so than the economics.

23 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Jesus H Christ. 

He must be on the wind up. He’s not registered in the 25man premier league squad so can’t play anyway. This is obvious though, surely he must know this?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, s11nny said:

He must be on the wind up. He’s not registered in the 25man premier league squad so can’t play anyway. This is obvious though, surely he must know this?

Youth team players can always play and don’t need to be on 25 man squad. Hence why Mcateer came on against Newcastle 

• Like 2

Imagine waking up in the morning knowing part of your life is to wind up as much people as possible with rubbish just to boost you and your show's profile because you are so shit at providing anything insightful.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Jesus H Christ. 

This guy has got serious issues.

I think he's still reeling from the fact that no one was behind him when he slated the players for being at the darts - all he did on Twitter was make himself look silly, especially when he said he cancelled his own Christmas with family to ensure he was Covid-free to be able to go to Boxing Day games. 

He's an attention seeker who has to pretend he has controversial opinions to stir the pot - I listened to TalkSport for years and during his drivetime show when he was on all week, he must have contradicted himself with his differing opinions literally hundreds of times. The man has zero credibility for me.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fox forever said:

Youth team players can always play and don’t need to be on 25 man squad. Hence why Mcateer came on against Newcastle 

You are kind of both right. He doesn't need to be the 25 man squad but equally, he's not considered as having first team experience. Therefore not eligible as one of the available outfield players with senior experience that the PL may insist the game is on. 

Lads, Adrian does this for a living. Every once in a while he picks a club to obsess over for period. Next month he'll be picking on West Ham for some bizarre reason. Month after that it'll be Leeds. Its his forte. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

This guy has got serious issues.

I think he's still reeling from the fact that no one was behind him when he slated the players for being at the darts - all he did on Twitter was make himself look silly, especially when he said he cancelled his own Christmas with family to ensure he was Covid-free to be able to go to Boxing Day games. 

He's an attention seeker who has to pretend he has controversial opinions to stir the pot - I listened to TalkSport for years and during his drivetime show when he was on all week, he must have contradicted himself with his differing opinions literally hundreds of times. The man has zero credibility for me.

I’ve been guilty of taking his bait but seriously, at this point, how does anyone give him a second of their time, either on Twitter or the radio? 

It’d be one thing if he was funny or interesting but he’s not, he’s just a complete weirdo desperate for attention and an audience.