Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

4 hours ago, Langston said:

It's such a tedious debate. Pearson is arguably my favourite ever Leicester manager mainly because I absolutely loved following his sides but Schmeichel is essentially saying Ranieiri lucked out over a 38 game season. The "never beaten lightly" myth about 14/15 is exactly that, too. We were absolutely horrid in a lot of games where we'd never lay a glove on sides.

We needed both of those managers to win the league, I don't get why people have to pick a side. 

I agree with everything you say apart from this.  We were pretty poor 14/15 but I remember the most we lost a game by was 2 goals like all season.  We never got thrashed by 3, 4, 5 goals at any point yes we were easily beaten without laying a glove on some but there were a few games we were a number of games were we were unlucky to lose.  We weren't functioning very well but a change in system and then momentum saw us through.

Edited by foxes1988
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Nobbyburton said:

Agree with this. Pearson did the ground work for a lot of what followed, but don't tell me Claudio wasn't absolutely perfect for us that season. He had the right attitude and personality to get everything out of those players and tactically he really played to their strengths. 

The genius thing about Claudio was that he had the courage to leave things exactly as they were.

How tempting to revert to Tinkerman. He eventually couldn't resist in the following season and the rest is history

That initial decision was the foundation for winning the league and he was the right person to take the pressure off the players until the end 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ross 'LCFC' Turner said:

We did the great escape under Pearson playing 3-5-2 (Schlupp & Albrighton wing backs) 

I don’t think Pearson would have switched to a 4-4-2 the following season but we’ll never know…

He was. Steve Walsh said on signing Okazaki in June (before Pearson left in July) the plan was to play him behind Vardy in a 4-4-1-1.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

I don't get it, he is a massive part of where we are today, he wasn't perfect but neither was O'Neill or any other successful City manager.

Wasn't that down to Mandaric? 

I mean Mandaric was going to be gone by the time the new manager was due to be installed, so what would he have had to do with it? Mandaric didn't do that with any other prospective new manager over however long did he?

52 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

We'll never know how Pearson would've coped with the pressure of a title chasing run-in but the previous season might've given us a clue. I suspect the press would've cranked up the pressure on him to provoke a reaction given what had gone on before. Claudio was perfect in that respect and had the journo's on a string. 

I don't believe that City would've been Premier League Champions without that management sequence. One was the assist, the other the scorer. Both deserve the credit and that's how I hope history remembers it. 

Agree and in addition I don't think we should underestimate how well Claudio represented the club off the field when the eyes of the world were on us. No Klopp like gurning, no cracking up under the pressure blaming all around when things falter. He was a lot to do with so many people wanting us to succeed. He was a gentleman and I was very proud to be a Leicester fan.

All the above said and done, I also feel the right thing was done to move him on. Things change harsh as that is.

Edited by Jacnah
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, FuriousFox46 said:

Pearson wouldn’t have won the league in 2016. Ranieri wouldn’t have won the league without Pearson’s foundations. End of.

Well summarised.

Probably still hear about the needless comparison at least one a month for the next 100 years though.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I mean Mandaric was going to be gone by the time the new manager was due to be installed, so what would he have had to do with it? Mandaric didn't do that with any other prospective new manager over however long did he?

The PO game was in the May, King Power didn't take over until the summer (Aug).

And he didn't leave until the November, he stayed on as adviser until then. 

7 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Pearson would have won the league with 100 points, retained the title the season after and won 5-0 against Real Madrid in the Champions League final.

Cool story but needs more headbutts and ostriches...

Oh and fighting off packs of vicious dogs

Edited by LCFCCHRIS

55 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

The PO game was in the May, King Power didn't take over until the summer (Aug).

And he didn't leave until the November, he stayed on as adviser until then. 

Would love to know the full story behind the takeover one day tbf.

The whole initial thing was that King Power were going to be part of a consortium with other investors with Mandaric as the advisor/figure head. 

Then Mandaric did a runner to Wednesday and King Power ended up buying the mystery other backers out within the first year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, The_77 said:

Did ever find out who the person was who was abusing Pearson from the stands and got told to FOAD? I wonder if that fan still feels proud of himself. 

We can talk about how entitled some fans are now but that guy from 2014 was way worse than anyone from this season. lol

I think I could guess who it is and he posts on here. Why any genuine Leicester fan wouldn’t like Pearson is insane.

Edited by Unabomber
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, foxes1988 said:

I agree with everything you say apart from this.  We were pretty poor 14/15 but I remember the most we lost a game by was 2 goals like all season.  We never got thrashed by 3, 4, 5 goals at any point yes we were easily beaten without laying a glove on some but there were a few games we were a number of games were we were unlucky to lose.  We weren't functioning very well but a change in system and then momentum saw us through.

There was a series of away games where we were comprehensively outplayed and were absolutely abject. Not being beaten by more than 2 goals doesn't make that an achievement, as I'm sure anyone that went to West Ham, Swansea, Southampton or Palace that season will testify. We were piss poor for swathes of 14/15 with what proved (afterwards) to be a very capable squad and Pearson was trying all sorts of diamond bollocks at some point. I love the bloke to pieces but he isn't infallible

6 hours ago, Langston said:

There was a series of away games where we were comprehensively outplayed and were absolutely abject. Not being beaten by more than 2 goals doesn't make that an achievement, as I'm sure anyone that went to West Ham, Swansea, Southampton or Palace that season will testify. We were piss poor for swathes of 14/15 with what proved (afterwards) to be a very capable squad and Pearson was trying all sorts of diamond bollocks at some point. I love the bloke to pieces but he isn't infallible

Of course it doesn't but I do think it shows we were pretty competitive all season. Usually the team bottom of the table after 29 games will have taken on a number of beatings over the course of the year.  In our case it wasn't just that a no of teams above us had been thrashed more then us it was that we weren't all year. Not the usually bottom of the table all year kind of team.  I'd argue we were easily worse in periods of 16/17 then 14/15.

As I said I'm generally not one of these fans that have to big up Pearson all the time. We would not of got nowhere near the title with Pearson. He had served his purpose and we weren't going to do any better with him then we did 14/15.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Langston said:

More chance of knicking something from a game if you aren't letting teams get out of sight though.

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

How on earth is Birmingham v Villa not no.1?

Agree.

Also lacking Pompey v Saints and Cardiff City v Swansea, both of which have historically placed a ban on away fans attending the fixture. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

I think it's generally Villa v Brum and Wolves v Baggies.

Decent amount of West Brom fans will say they dislike Villa more than Wolves but Villa definitely rate Brum as their biggest rival by some way.

• Like 2