Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

In his era I think that Vardy can only be compared with Kane and Aguero. I see Salah as a better all round player, but he’s more than a striker in my eyes and one of the few PL players who might be described as World Class. 

Vardy doesn’t have to prove anything, to anyone, anymore. Neither does Kane. I don’t even bother engaging with people who can’t appreciate their talents as up there with the very best. To be honest if they can’t see it by now then their opinion doesn’t really count for anything. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Talksport in another episode of "saying controversial shite for engagement" and surprise surprise it's worked a treat again. 

37 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Love people who get mad at those who get mad about things on talksport without irony. 

To be fair the whole 'natural finisher' patter in all its tedium has been going on for years since Owen said it, although it should have been ignored.

Agree that it's a mystery how anyone's engaged beyond where someone said that Darren Bent was better than Vardy. That was the cue to switch off.

On 02/03/2022 at 08:36, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Doesn't even exist in the multiverse. Vardy is a Fox in every universe, even if Thanos wins!

You just be grateful that you didn´t end up in the Derby girl place

2 hours ago, Joe90lcfc said:

Also add,  he is the 2nd highest goal scorer from over the  age of 30 behind Ian Wright 

The most damning thing about the statement, before you even consider the statement, is that Gabby Agbonlahor said it. The man is an absolutely parody of himself; and the himself he is parodying is an absolute parody of a sham of a parody of a sham that is Adrian Durham. Durham is aware he's a wind up merchant. Agbonlahor is just...stupid?

Then you consider the statement and the above seems even more unbelievable; but there we go. Strange things happen in this world.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ealingfox said:

How is anyone quantifying the extent to which a finish or finisher is 'natural'? Such a bullshit faux-analytical expression. Its meaningless.

Yep, this debate is flawed until Mr Owen defines what he meant by natural finisher. 

However, minus definition, I reckon that the less profesionally coached a striker is, the more probable that the finishing will be instinctive.... if that counts?

Edited by He aint bald

3 hours ago, ealingfox said:

How is anyone quantifying the extent to which a finish or finisher is 'natural'? Such a bullshit faux-analytical expression. Its meaningless.

I'm not sure how other people quantify it, but 2 finishes spring to mind without doing research.

The lob volley against Spurs and the over-the-shoulder volley vs WBA, both of which he just KNOWS where the keeper is likely to be

In fact, add the them the 2 chops against Germany and Man City. All just an understanding of where and what the opposition are likely to be and do. 

That, for me, quantifies a natural finisher. Like a playmaker's ability to spot a pass.

Edited to include the countless times he does those 5 yard runs to give him that simple finish, surely that's a part of a natural finishers criteria. Right place, right time. 

Edited by wardyfox86
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Why is anyone listening to such obviously staged debate? 

I recommend fresh air. 

Heard about this over the years but never looked. From 1.00, straight from the horses mouth.

I find Vardy a weird one when it comes to finishing. He's capable of missing some absolute sitters, but he is also capable of catching keepers off guard by trying outrageous efforts from all sorts of angles and distances. I've not seen many better unorthodox finishers.

I get where Owen is coming from in that I don't always expect Vardy to stick away some of the simpler chances that someone like Kane or Aguero would put away in their sleep. He makes up for it though by being capable of scoring goals from almost any situation due to the fact he has such a good understanding of where the keeper is likely to be, even when he's not looking at them. It's hard to explain, but his catalogue of unexpected goals must be huge lol

Edited by filbertway
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sambiasso said:

Is he the same age as Vardy? Maybe have a look at where your career is at 35 and where Vardy is mate?

Also some of the names he list weren’t particularly great finishers - Andy Cole was mocked for years at Man Utd for his finishing for example.

• Like 2

Guest Chocolate Teapot

Vardys chance conversion is and has for about 5/6 years been world class. Its nonsensical to say he's not a good finisher. 

Someone was trying to argue Fowler was a better player. lmao. He had about two good seasons.

15 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Vardys chance conversion is and has for about 5/6 years been world class. Its nonsensical to say he's not a good finisher. 

Someone was trying to argue Fowler was a better player. lmao. He had about two good seasons.

I think this is the problem, it's a topic on emotion and opinion with very little regard to stats. There's a romantic notion about God earthly finishers and some of those talked about definitely were but Vardy gets dismissed when others don't from a nostalgic and glorious era. That said there have been some unbelievable strikers and finishers and Vardy is in a band of players in the top 10-20 IMO. Trying to argue any better is just pointless with some prats.

• Like 1

A 'Natural finisher' suggests it is a player who scores a lot of different types of goals...As natural also implies instinctiveness. 

Suggesting he just 'Puts his head down and smashes it', is just completely inaccurate.

I can think off the top of my head.....

His flick over Lloris at home to Spurs, the left footed volley away at West Brom and the flicks against Germany and Man City completely disprove his point.

The greatest Premier League goal scorer of all time relied heavily on power. So by that logic, Shearer isn't a 'Natural finisher' either. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

It is crazy that this is a debate, I don’t care how he scores… he will finish from all angles and yes his conversion rate is incredible