Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

Just now, SouthStandUpperTier said:

We can definitely win the Conference League if we can find our best form, but I don't know how the bookies can have us as favourites over clubs like Roma and Marseille.

Is it do with not really knowing about other European teams as much? Just that warped view that the prem is the greatest league in the world.

• Like 1

Just now, SemperEadem said:

Is it do with not really knowing about other European teams as much? Just that warped view that the prem is the greatest league in the world.

1 minute ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

We can definitely win the Conference League if we can find our best form, but I don't know how the bookies can have us as favourites over clubs like Roma and Marseille.

It just about weight of money, more British punters are going to back a English PL team, so it forces our odds in and theirs out. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Koke said:

We are actually a big club. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. People seem to think this is the same Leicester City that MON carried in the 90s. We are a totally different animal now. One example, last I checked our manager was paid more than the league winning & CL winning Liverpool manager. Our revenue is 7th in the table, our training ground is up there with the best, stadium expansion on its way, we play regularly in Europe. We are a big club. 

Potentials there for more too, the media won’t acknowledge it because the pundits focus on history, it’s easy to talk about the likes of Leeds but when you look at our catchment area and lack of local competition we’re right up there for potential, our own fan base focus a lot on the short term “we didn’t sell out x game” but it’s not as big a deal as some think in the grand scheme of things.

The evidence is there we’re growing, hopefully get all the other bits right along the way and we might find we can make times like these last longer than expected.

59 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

That's my take on the situation. It is a little short-sighted for fans to call it an abysmal season with over a quarter of a league season to go and a European QF to play. 

If someone offered my losing 4-1 to forest and winning the ECL, I would take it every day of the week! 

I've never been one to be embarrassed about results.

Imagine both sets of fans looking back at the last six years.

City Fan "Remember that time we won the PL, FA Cup, and ECL cup.

Forest fans "Remember the time we beat Leicester 4-1 and then got beat in the Qtr-final  of the FA Cup."

I know which camp I would rather be in!

Also to win the ECL cup we will potentially have beaten PSV Eindhoven, Roma and Marseille. That’s a superb cup run if we could manage it!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I think we are better than Roma, tbf. Marseille is beatable, but I don't think we'd be favorites.

The good thing is that both have bigger fish to fry. Marseille is battling for a Champions League spot, and Roma probably wants to secure its Europa League spot in the league (or even try to catch up to the top 4, although that would be tough). I don't think such concerns would matter in a final, but could be distracting in a QF or SF. My preference, if we go through, would be a Brodo/Glimt semifinal and a PAOK final (well ahead of myself, I know.) Roma would be really tough over two legs, Marseille is really good, and I think both Feyenoord and Slavia Praha are really dangerous teams to play in a final.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

It's not 'the bookies' - the odd one has us (just) favourites. It's pretty much a level book with us and those two;

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/uefa-europa-conference-league/winner

4 hours ago, Dave Fishwick said:

is it a long shot? what odds are we to win the Conference League?

We've got to beat PSV, and probably Marseille and Roma to win it. If we can find form and fitness, we know we can beat most teams, but I don't know why everyone sees us as favourites. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

I think we are better than Roma, tbf. Marseille is beatable, but I don't think we'd be favorites.

The good thing is that both have bigger fish to fry. Marseille is battling for a Champions League spot, and Roma probably wants to secure its Europa League spot in the league (or even try to catch up to the top 4, although that would be tough). I don't think such concerns would matter in a final, but could be distracting in a QF or SF. My preference, if we go through, would be a Brodo/Glimt semifinal and a PAOK final (well ahead of myself, I know.) Roma would be really tough over two legs, Marseille is really good, and I think both Feyenoord and Slavia Praha are really dangerous teams to play in a final.

I'm.just hoping this write off of a season ends with ricardo, Timmy, lil wes, Evans and Vards all firing.....just leaving us wilf short if a full strength xi....combine those abive with Madders and Youri and Kels on song, that's a strong a team as any - not just in conference league but perhaps even europa league too

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

We've got to beat PSV, and probably Marseille and Roma to win it. If we can find form and fitness, we know we can beat most teams, but I don't know why everyone sees us as favourites. 

To beat one of those teams would be an achievement, two would be exceptional and three out of this world, I worry our inconsistencies will crop up and cost us against one of them but hope I'm wrong. 

34 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

To beat one of those teams would be an achievement, two would be exceptional and three out of this world, I worry our inconsistencies will crop up and cost us against one of them but hope I'm wrong. 

With the games being over two legs, we can afford one slightly poor performance and still recover the tie ….. but Marseille and Roma are both more experience than us 

59 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

With the games being over two legs, we can afford one slightly poor performance and still recover the tie ….. but Marseille and Roma are both more experience than us 

Although the players showed some bottle in Rennes which we doubted they had, I'm still not convinced they won't run away and hide again in the future. I don't think we could recover from a slightly poor performance if we have to pull the tie around in a second leg in the kind of volatile atmosphere expected. 

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

We can afford one slightly poor performance but not one forest type performance, that's my worry, but we've certainly set our low ceiling a lot higher since so hopefully any poor performances will be manageable over 2 legs. 

46 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Why do you even bother supporting the club?

We're on a reasonable run here and things are looking up just go with it!

I often ask myself that question :rolleyes:

I'm a cup half full about the City, mostly.