Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

2 hours ago, jaqo88 said:

Not sure if the right thread but I am backpacking Guatemala right now and I was on board an 8 hour bus…I was in an extremely rural place, and I looked out of the window and saw this lady carrying sticks and supplies on her head and a boy of roughly 6 year old had a football shirt on…and then I saw King Power and the Foxes logo !! Leicester in the middle of Guatemala! The red pin on the map is where I saw the shirt. Massive 😂 

C6F4BB9C-5933-4C3D-97D8-62FAFBC06EA8.png

If you're backpacking a country an 8 hour bus ride seems a bit counter intuitive to me. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jaqo88 said:

Not sure if the right thread but I am backpacking Guatemala right now and I was on board an 8 hour bus…I was in an extremely rural place, and I looked out of the window and saw this lady carrying sticks and supplies on her head and a boy of roughly 6 year old had a football shirt on…and then I saw King Power and the Foxes logo !! Leicester in the middle of Guatemala! The red pin on the map is where I saw the shirt. Massive 😂 

Not quite on the same level when me and my boys spotted a five year old kid in rural Herts wearing a Schmeichel kit this afternoon.  he was decent aswell! (And not from an Lcfc family - he just likes kasper apparently).  was all going well till a lad turned up in the disgusting spurs third kit …..

1 hour ago, Jobyfox said:

This is the truth of it. It’s a truly sycophantic exclusivity where both sides would feel somewhat diminished if it didn’t exist. 

I can only assume that the “we don’t care about you” thing with Leicester came from the brief period at the end of the 1970s when both Forest and Derby had their success. It was probably used as a sleight to try and diminish us in some way. Now it’s like they’ve been locked in a time capsule for 40 years and the “we don’t care about you” thing is akin to Blackpool and Preston fans constantly telling Man Utd fans they don’t care about them and the latter thinking: “WTF?” 

(and that’s not to say I think we’re anywhere near a club the size of Man Utd - but hopefully that doesn’t detract from the point) 

It’s just some weird superiority complex they’ve got, I’m fairly confident you ask most football fans who the biggest in the East Midlands is they’ll say us or Forest, Derby wouldn’t get a mention, yet according to Derby and Forest fans they’re the 2 biggest easily, as others have pointed out it’s beyond weird for a so called rivalry. 

They just live in a weird bubble together and somehow convince themselves that despite our recent success the football world is more interested in them than it is us, convinced themselves that if they just “don’t care” that they must be superior somehow. The recent obsession Forest have with not caring is funny though they’re determined to stick it out, even creating a pretend rivalry with Southampton on Twitter, all done with us in mind. They haven’t even clocked yet they’re spending a lot more time denying a rivalry than Leicester fans are talking one up.

Edited by Yes
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Forest fans’ stated and revealed preference is clear. They didn’t sell out against Arsenal but did against us and then had 3 sides of the ground stood up and singing songs about us.

None of that happens if they drew Newcastle or Southampton.

True, pretty sure those sides wouldn't have been embarrassed like we were.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

They may not care about us but I genuinely forgot they existed until last year. This is going to be fun watching them have the boot on their neck for a season 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, FoxyLeon said:

True, pretty sure those sides wouldn't have been embarrassed like we were.

The same sides, we managed to beat 4-0 and 4-1 last season, so what's your reasoning for saying Forest could have beat them in the same way?

The weird thing about the whole Forest/Derby thing is that I don’t believe Derby feel the same way as the Forest fans.

Derby fans are very different. I’ve known lots of them over the years, and not one of them is stuck in the 1970s like Forest fans. They know what they are. I’m pretty sure they hate the Forest for the same reasons we do. The only difference is the Forest fans like to revel in the Derby rivalry because of some perceived Clough connection.

I suppose the rivalry has become a bit amplified because they’ve been playing the same divisions for a lot longer.

Anyway, let’s not worry about those clowns. They might survive a couple of seasons in the Prem but, ultimately, their level is about middle to lower end of the Championship.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jaqo88 said:

Not too sure what the point of the comment is… but if you really wanted to know there’s a lot of mountainous jungle here with no good roads so even short distances take a long time to get around 

Very beautiful country though, would recommend to all, made even more beautiful seeing a Foxes shirt in the wild :D

Crap attempt at a joke mate, hope you're having a blast. 

• Thanks 1

On 19/06/2022 at 09:37, jaqo88 said:

Maybe we had pre-made Champions League qualifiers shirts we had to dispose of. 

• Haha 2

On 20/06/2022 at 04:40, st albans fox said:

Not quite on the same level when me and my boys spotted a five year old kid in rural Herts wearing a Schmeichel kit this afternoon.  he was decent aswell! (And not from an Lcfc family - he just likes kasper apparently).  was all going well till a lad turned up in the disgusting spurs third kit …..

You see them pretty much everywhere. I've seen the odd one living in china. It must help that all the adverts for premier league football here feature Vardy (who is known as Wer-dee here) prominently with Ronaldo. Also had conversations with locals who talk about Vardy being their favourite player. We have become bigger than lots of people realise. 

4 hours ago, peach0000 said:

You see them pretty much everywhere. I've seen the odd one living in china. It must help that all the adverts for premier league football here feature Vardy (who is known as Wer-dee here) prominently with Ronaldo. Also had conversations with locals who talk about Vardy being their favourite player. We have become bigger than lots of people realise. 

4 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Similar over here in Korea - of course Son and Spurs get the most attention, but when Prem coverage comes up Vardy and therefore Leicester tend to feature pretty highly and he's well-known here.

The trick is getting another icon for them to follow because I assume the club itself doesn’t really register (unless we can get back into top six) 

Think spurs and arsenal also struggle in this respect out there (moreso spurs)

United keep bringing in superstars to help maintain their profile 

Liverpool are just Liverpool 

Man City and chelsea keep winning stuff which keeps them relevant out there - everyone loves a winner !!

Interesting article in The Athletic on shirt swapping. It covers football as a whole, but is written by Tanner, so several Leicester-specific tidbits, including the fact that Tielemans hardly ever swaps shirts, and therefore wears the same two through most of the season (players are charged for shirts they swap or give away), and that they almost ran out of kit the title-winning season, and were wearing away kit even when the home kit wouldn't clash because they feared they'd have to wear their knickers if they didn't.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Interesting article in The Athletic on shirt swapping. It covers football as a whole, but is written by Tanner, so several Leicester-specific tidbits, including the fact that Tielemans hardly ever swaps shirts, and therefore wears the same two through most of the season (players are charged for shirts they swap or give away), and that they almost ran out of kit the title-winning season, and were wearing away kit even when the home kit wouldn't clash because they feared they'd have to wear their knickers if they didn't.

Tielemans dropped 50p once, and it hit him on the back of his head…

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Italian players must be skint. The curva gets everything down to sloggies after a win.