Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

Interesting we've only told players we signed last summer that were crap to find new clubs but the likes of Hamza, Perez and Soyuncu who won't be offered new contracts aren't being pushed to get gone. 

I'm concerned some of these players with just a year left will be an absolute liability to us.

26 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Interesting we've only told players we signed last summer that were crap to find new clubs but the likes of Hamza, Perez and Soyuncu who won't be offered new contracts aren't being pushed to get gone. 

I'm concerned some of these players with just a year left will be an absolute liability to us.

I imagine it's fairly obvious to them and their agents if we aren't offering them new deals that we probably want them out this summer. 

Edited by Tommy Fresh
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

10 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

I imagine it's fairly obvious to them and their agents if we aren't offering them new deals that we probably want them out this summer. 

And it’s even more obvious that players who have a ceiling on earnings such as these three will probably take the opportunity to leave on a free next summer if nothing v attractive appears in the meantime. I’d expect cags out of these three to be the one who may move on a permanent whilst hamza takes a loan and perez sits tight for the season. 

35 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Money, money, money. We pay them up , they go. Its a long retirement in football. You earn as much as you can in the time you have. Soyuncu, Tielemans and Hamza have a decent chance of improving or at least maintaining their earnings if they leave on a free. See Pogba.

If the problem is only that we need room on the wage bill for administrative purposes,  and not also that we are skint, why aren't we paying these twats to get ****ed? They'd be a lot happier taking a move if we paid them off to the extent they wouldn't lose out.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I dunno. 

Soyuncu it looks like he wants to leave more than we want him to go. If he was committed to a long term future here it wouldn't surprise me if we did actually offer him a contract. I doubt we're desperate for him to go, he just looks like someone we're willing to cash in on now Fofana has comfortably gone ahead of him. As you've said yourself, Inter could well come back as that seems to be genuine interest. 

Perez we can't really afford to release unless we know for sure we can also bring in a replacement which puts us in a difficult position. He's also paid a lot more here than the rumoured interest in Spain are likely to be able to afford. It wouldn't surprise me particularly if he went but as of right now I imagine the plan is he starts the first game of the season unless we're changing shape again. 

As for Hamza, he's probably going to be one of the hardest to shift. He's a nailed on 100% Championship quality footballer that we decided to pay over 50k a week. We absolutely fvcked ourselves when we opted out of selling him to Newcastle when Ashley seemed willing to make him his yearly "oh just have some money and shut up" transfer to save face*.

He's just simply not good enough to make much impact at this level but nobody that can really use him can afford him. He'll probably be loaned out every year that remains of his contract and end up leaving for free. Assume he'll go later in the window if we have our quota of midfielders without him. 

(*as I type that I'm possibly remembering did Ashley pull the funding out from under Bruce who wanted him? Idk, I remember some drama about it.)

25 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm sure it's gone on record we've never once offered Soyuncu a new contract, I find it very very odd as he's on the same deal as when he signed which won't be anywhere near what some plebs earn at this club.

I think some common sense needs to be applied there really, I'm sure we'd have offered him something if there was any indication from him or his agent that he'd take one. Even if we didn't actually want to keep him long term, you don't let a player of his value just run out a deal it doesn't make any sense from a business point of view. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Steve Earle said:

Good piece by John Percy (behind paywall) in Telegraph this morning.

Our targets: Levi Colwill, Noni Madueke and Matt O'Reilly (me neither).

Tielemans 'reluctant' to sign an extension if he doesn't get his move - no offers for him yet. Vestergaard, Soumare & Bertand the 3 told to find other clubs.

Wage bill simply too high, players have to be sold but no takers as yet. Might have to consider selling a player they don't want to sell.

Last summer's recruitment 'disappointing', and paying for it now. 43 days left. Never write Leicester off...

So nothing imminent then... 

Most salient part of that article is the last line.

"We have learned over the years to never write Leicester off."

1 hour ago, 4everfox said:

9/10, got the highest attendance one wrong.

Only got the 2006 play off final one right due to an educated guess and the shirt colours on the picture.

Edited by Nalis

Just now, Nalis said:

Random one - who was the last to score at Filbert Street and the first to score at the KP?

I vaguely recall Matty Piper being one or the other but not 100%.

Piper was definitely the last, was it Brian Deane first scorer at the KP?

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Devonfox1884 said:

Piper was definitely the last, was it Brian Deane first scorer at the KP?

In all fixtures I think an opposing player technically opened the scoring at the ground in the friendly mentioned in the quiz. And I think our first would've been Jordan Stewart in the same game? Late on iirc.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

In all fixtures I think an opposing player technically opened the scoring at the ground in the friendly mentioned in the quiz. And I think our first would've been Jordan Stewart in the same game? Late on iirc.

Yeah Tiko scored a free kick  - Jordan Stewart got our first goal.

Brian Deane scored twice in the first league game against Watford.

On 20/07/2022 at 16:43, An Sionnach said:

Money, money, money. We pay them up , they go. Its a long retirement in football. You earn as much as you can in the time you have. Soyuncu, Tielemans and Hamza have a decent chance of improving or at least maintaining their earnings if they leave on a free. See Pogba.

Pogba who took a pay cut?  Demanded a payrise from UTD to €20M a year, turned down their offer of €14M a year and signed for Juve on €8m a year.