Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

2 minutes ago, FOXSE said:

Not quite this, but Sam allardyce said when he was Blackburn manager he had pretty much signed lewandowski. But the Icelandic volcano erupted, he couldn't fly in because of the Ash cloud and sign for borussia dortmund instead!

"The volcanic ash cloud didn't stop us wanting to sign him. What stopped us from signing him was the money, I was told at that time, wouldn't be available.

I think it was around €3m or €4m, which was obviously difficult when your scouting network had found a top player that would score goals, but that happens in the game. Sometimes there's a player you find but it wasn't the right time for the club, which was a really frustrating thing."

Sam Allardyce (2013)

Aside from that first season, Okazaki used to get pelters when he was here.

People used to criticise him for being on the floor all the time.

Amazing how people's perceptions change over time.

He will always be a hero.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

"The volcanic ash cloud didn't stop us wanting to sign him. What stopped us from signing him was the money, I was told at that time, wouldn't be available.

I think it was around €3m or €4m, which was obviously difficult when your scouting network had found a top player that would score goals, but that happens in the game. Sometimes there's a player you find but it wasn't the right time for the club, which was a really frustrating thing."

Sam Allardyce (2013)

https://talksport.com/football/706301/robert-lewandowski-bayern-munich-transfer-blackburn-sam-allardyce/

20 minutes ago, FOXSE said:

lol Talksport? Must be true then. Genuinely, is this serious? Because I didn't think it was necessary to speculate that was its probable origin. 

Yes, I'm aware of all of the content in your link. Actually, to be fair to you, I recall that it was all over the popular press at the time, not just talk shite, because Lewandowski himself claimed that there were no available flights for him to visit the UK due to the eruption of Eyjafjallajokull. The myth therefore endured. However, in spite of what he maintained, this is what Sam himself has to say about it...

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/04/26/sam-allardyce-reveals-truth-behind-lewandowski_n_3160919.html

So even if he had been able to fly over to talk to the club in person, it's unlikely that the signing would have gone ahead due to a lack of funds -  irrespective of any amount of volcanic ash. 

Edited by Line-X

10 minutes ago, Line-X said:

lol Talksport? Must be true then. Genuinely, is this serious? Because I didn't think it was necessary to speculate that was its probable origin. 

Yes, I'm aware of all of the content in your link. Actually, to be fair to you, I recall that it was all over the popular press at the time, not just talk shite, because Lewandowski himself claimed that there were no available flights for him to visit the UK due to the eruption of Eyjafjallajokull. The myth therefore endured. However, in spite of what he maintained, this is what Sam himself has to say about it...

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/04/26/sam-allardyce-reveals-truth-behind-lewandowski_n_3160919.html

So even if he had been able to fly over to talk to the club in person, it's unlikely that the signing would have gone ahead due to a lack of funds -  irrespective of any amount of volcanic ash. 

I heard an interview with allardyce who said it was all agreed except the ash cloud.... he may have said it because its a good story!

5 minutes ago, FOXSE said:

I heard an interview with allardyce who said it was all agreed except the ash cloud.... he may have said it because its a good story!

Either way. I know which one sounds better. 

Not sure who is the more trustworthy to be honest Allardyce or nonsense like Talksport. Perhaps that's one of the reasons he features so strongly on there. lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

Allardyce is definitely talking spin here.

Lewandowski was one of the best and most talked about young players in Europe and every team was aware of him at the time - he’d just won the golden boot in the Polish league aged 21. Clubs aren’t going to be unaware of a young player who won the golden boot in a European league. He wasn’t some unknown player at the time who Allardyce had masterly scouted and it was considered a massive coup that Dortmund got him at the time, similar to when they signed Haaland a year or two ago. Dortmund were also a far bigger club than Blackburn at the time and in reality I can’t imagine Lewandowski genuinely considered signing for Blackburn over Dortmund.

My guess is the reality of the situation is that Blackburn were one of about 200 clubs who were highly interested in Lewandowski at the time but they never stood any realistic chance of getting him. Certainly can’t imagine Lewandowski would’ve chosen Blackburn over Dortmund if not for a volcano cloud.

Edited by Sampson
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Allardyce is definitely talking spin here.

Lewandowski was one of the best and most talked about young players in Europe and every team was aware of him at the time - he’d just won the golden boot in the Polish league aged 21. Clubs aren’t going to be unaware of a young player who won the golden boot in a European league. He wasn’t some unknown player at the time who Allardyce had masterly scouted and it was considered a massive coup that Dortmund got him at the time, similar to when they signed Haaland a year or two ago. Dortmund were also a far bigger club than Blackburn at the time and in reality I can’t imagine Lewandowski genuinely considered signing for Blackburn over Dortmund.

My guess is the reality of the situation is that Blackburn were one of about 200 clubs who were highly interested in Lewandowski at the time but they never stood any realistic chance of getting him. Certainly can’t imagine Lewandowski would’ve chosen Blackburn over Dortmund if not for a volcano cloud.

Agree. But actually, Allardyce confirms what you are saying. Irrespective of the eruption of Eyjafjallajökull, the funds weren't there. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Wasn’t Mahrez on trial at St. Mirren or something like that. I’d love to know who the best player each club has had on trial and not signed. I’d imagine there would be some crazy rejection stories over the years. 

I believe Arsenal once tried to give a young Zlatan Ibrahimovic a trial, which the player rejected. He later stated that "Zlatan doesn't do trials" or something along those lines. 

• Haha 2

Well done to Notts Forest for winning the Lower Midtable In August Cup.  

(It's just about as plausible as the Cloughie Cup).

I salute them, and it's a well-deserved cartoon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

David Walsh in the Times concluded this:

1865886770_Screenshot_20220828-082034_TheTimes.thumb.jpg.c7cb8573c3ece901970ec4cabe7c5958.jpg

Which is all well and good, but his match report makes you think he should visit Specsavers:

1646796591_Screenshot_20220828-081920_TheTimes.thumb.jpg.cf333eb64ff272ffa20c8b676e040ab8.jpg

2028896701_Screenshot_20220828-081944_TheTimes.thumb.jpg.dd00322346b2c2674f21be7f5c915d1f.jpg

If you can't tell the difference (or don't care about the difference) between Vardy and Barnes, I think we can forget your view on Leicester City's prospects.

• Like 2

'Window closing will help Leicester win again' - O'Neill

Leicester will get over their early-season slump once the transfer window has shut, believes former Foxes manager Martin O'Neill.

City sit bottom of the Premier League with only one point from their opening four matches and host Manchester United on Thursday, the deadline day for signing new players.

O'Neill believes the protracted saga of Wesley Fofana's projected move to Chelsea and continued speculation over other key players is among "a number of mitigating factors" in Leicester's poor start.

"First of all you have players who want to leave the club, and almost sitting out as a one-man strike," O'Neill told BBC 5 Live Breakfast.

"Fofana has not played the last couple of games because he wants to get this move to Chelsea, and that can be very debilitating.

"It’s also down to expectations at the football club. It’s not too long since Brendan Rodgers won the FA Cup with Leicester.  These are difficult times at this minute but I believe they can get over it.

"I think they cannot wait until transfer deadline day is over, one way or another, and they can settle down and start winning matches again."

17 minutes ago, davieG said:

'Window closing will help Leicester win again' - O'Neill

Leicester will get over their early-season slump once the transfer window has shut, believes former Foxes manager Martin O'Neill.

City sit bottom of the Premier League with only one point from their opening four matches and host Manchester United on Thursday, the deadline day for signing new players.

O'Neill believes the protracted saga of Wesley Fofana's projected move to Chelsea and continued speculation over other key players is among "a number of mitigating factors" in Leicester's poor start.

"First of all you have players who want to leave the club, and almost sitting out as a one-man strike," O'Neill told BBC 5 Live Breakfast.

"Fofana has not played the last couple of games because he wants to get this move to Chelsea, and that can be very debilitating.

"It’s also down to expectations at the football club. It’s not too long since Brendan Rodgers won the FA Cup with Leicester.  These are difficult times at this minute but I believe they can get over it.

"I think they cannot wait until transfer deadline day is over, one way or another, and they can settle down and start winning matches again."

Oh Martin. So misinformed, but you've got to let him off.

50 minutes ago, los dedos said:

😅

Harry Kane and Jamie Vardy are both legends of the game in their own right, but I'll always believe that prime Vardy was better than prime Kane. A truly world class pair of strikers, and it makes you wonder why Southgate didn't utilise such a deadly attack with the England team. Kane and Vardy would've been a strike partnership capable of winning a world cup. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1