Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brighton-leicester-rodgers-national-media-7546127

The Telegraph, John Aizlewood

These are the darkest of times for Leicester City and their manager Brendan Rodgers. Their fifth consecutive Premier League defeat was a spirit-crushing surrender to a sizzling Brighton & Hove Albion. The last time they lost five in a row, Claudio Ranieri was sacked and Rodgers’s tenure looked less secure with each preventable goal his team conceded. They remain marooned at the bottom of the Premier League.

Afterwards, Rodgers spoke boldly, but his tone and body language were downbeat. He refused to be directly drawn on his future. "I’ve never wanted backing from the hierarchy and never asked for it," he sighed.

"I’ve always come in early and finished late at night. Until someone tells me differently, I’ll continue to do that. I’ll never lose belief in what I do but ultimately I’m responsible for results and results haven’t been good enough. For us it’s like a jigsaw and we have pieces missing. Football can change very quickly, but there were too many mistakes today."

For anyone not of a Leicester persuasion, this was a fabulous game, brimming with goals, lambent attacking play and calamitous defending. Brighton maintained their fourth place, but with the vultures already circling, Rodgers went for broke, relegating Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall and Jamie Vardy to the bench for a game where only victory could have leapfrogged them out of the relegation places.

Read more here.

Daily Mail, Riath Al-Samarrai

There are arguments to be made for Brendan Rodgers. And there are good reasons why a generous soul might still nod along with him and look to those who operate upstairs. But then there are games like this one.

That is not so much to do with the result, because Leicester lose a lot of matches these days - five in a row now. But what of the game? What of the journey to that increasingly familiar destination? None of them were quite so bleak as this one, and none will have put more heat on the guy calling the shots.

Or rather the lack of them. Leicester had six all game and scored two, somehow. Brighton had 23 and deserved more than five. How many? Maybe seven or eight or nine - what a game Danny Ward had in making so many saves, and what a dog’s breakfast of a defence that meant he was so busy.

But that takes us back to Rodgers. This wasn’t a performance where you look to the players he might have signed through sunnier windows, or what other clubs of their stature have spent. No. This was a performance of spineless men.

Read more here.

The Guardian, Sam Dalling

Life gets no easier for Brendan Rodgers. There was more than a hint of self-preservation to his well-publicised media comments this week, but the distraction-cum-excuse of the transfer window is no longer available.

A squad Rodgers has, multiple times, emphasised needs a refresh, looks stagnant. They remain rock-bottom. "It’s like a jigsaw," a forlorn Rodgers said afterwards. “We’ve got pieces missing. And it’s a constant challenge to try to fill the gaps; that’s the reality of where we are."

But after five straight league defeats and with supporter unrest growing, Rodgers will not walk away: "I’ve always come in early and finished late at night," he said. “Until somebody tells me differently, I’ll continue to do that. We have to embrace the challenge. I’m certainly not going to shirk it."

Both clubs made healthy summer profits courtesy of Chelsea, but that is where the similarities end. These teams are on very different trajectories. Leicester need to learn to swim again but are splashing around wildly. They have "fight", as Rodgers said afterwards, but at times on Sunday it turned inward.

Read more here.

BBC Sport, Michael Emons

Leicester, bottom of the Premier League, scored after only 51 seconds when Kelechi Iheanacho finished from Patson Daka's pull-back from the left. However, the lead only lasted eight minutes before Solly March's header deflected into the net off Leicester defender Luke Thomas.

But in a frantic first half, Leicester scored again after 32 minutes. Youri Tielemans, deep inside his own half, played a ball over the top of the Brighton defence, Daka held off Lewis Dunk's challenge and slotted the ball past Robert Sanchez for 2-2.

Alexis Mac Allister thought he had restored the Seagulls' lead with a spectacular strike from 30 yards but, after a video assistant referee check that lasted more than four minutes, the goal was eventually ruled out for offside.

Read more here.

The Sun, Isabelle Barker

‘You're getting sacked in the morning’ rang around the Amex as Brighton heaped more misery on Brendan Rodgers and Leicester. Life came at the Foxes boss fast as Kelechi Iheanacho took the lead in just 52 seconds to hand Leicester a shred of wafer-thin confidence after a hellish start to the season.

Leicester were back in it through Patson Daka's equaliser before Leandro Trossard was on target and an Alexis Mac Allister penalty decimated any hope for the Foxes. It seemed as though Rodgers must have given his side the kick up the backside they needed because there was no messing around from the Foxes at the start.

Just one minute in, Thomas and Harvey Barnes made Solly March look like Scrappy Doo as they wrestled the ball off him and he flung to the floor in the process. Barnes teed up Patson Daka who fired a low cross to Kelechi Iheanacho to fire home from close range.

The Nigerian forward has been directly involved in 20 goals in his last 25 starts in the top-flight for the Foxes, being 15 times on target and adding five assists. But Brighton ruthlessly hit back and wasted no time in getting back into things with a nine minute leveller.

Read more here.

Just now, davieG said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brighton-leicester-rodgers-national-media-7546127

The Telegraph, John Aizlewood

These are the darkest of times for Leicester City and their manager Brendan Rodgers. Their fifth consecutive Premier League defeat was a spirit-crushing surrender to a sizzling Brighton & Hove Albion. The last time they lost five in a row, Claudio Ranieri was sacked and Rodgers’s tenure looked less secure with each preventable goal his team conceded. They remain marooned at the bottom of the Premier League.

Afterwards, Rodgers spoke boldly, but his tone and body language were downbeat. He refused to be directly drawn on his future. "I’ve never wanted backing from the hierarchy and never asked for it," he sighed.

"I’ve always come in early and finished late at night. Until someone tells me differently, I’ll continue to do that. I’ll never lose belief in what I do but ultimately I’m responsible for results and results haven’t been good enough. For us it’s like a jigsaw and we have pieces missing. Football can change very quickly, but there were too many mistakes today."

For anyone not of a Leicester persuasion, this was a fabulous game, brimming with goals, lambent attacking play and calamitous defending. Brighton maintained their fourth place, but with the vultures already circling, Rodgers went for broke, relegating Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall and Jamie Vardy to the bench for a game where only victory could have leapfrogged them out of the relegation places.

Read more here.

Daily Mail, Riath Al-Samarrai

There are arguments to be made for Brendan Rodgers. And there are good reasons why a generous soul might still nod along with him and look to those who operate upstairs. But then there are games like this one.

That is not so much to do with the result, because Leicester lose a lot of matches these days - five in a row now. But what of the game? What of the journey to that increasingly familiar destination? None of them were quite so bleak as this one, and none will have put more heat on the guy calling the shots.

Or rather the lack of them. Leicester had six all game and scored two, somehow. Brighton had 23 and deserved more than five. How many? Maybe seven or eight or nine - what a game Danny Ward had in making so many saves, and what a dog’s breakfast of a defence that meant he was so busy.

But that takes us back to Rodgers. This wasn’t a performance where you look to the players he might have signed through sunnier windows, or what other clubs of their stature have spent. No. This was a performance of spineless men.

Read more here.

The Guardian, Sam Dalling

Life gets no easier for Brendan Rodgers. There was more than a hint of self-preservation to his well-publicised media comments this week, but the distraction-cum-excuse of the transfer window is no longer available.

A squad Rodgers has, multiple times, emphasised needs a refresh, looks stagnant. They remain rock-bottom. "It’s like a jigsaw," a forlorn Rodgers said afterwards. “We’ve got pieces missing. And it’s a constant challenge to try to fill the gaps; that’s the reality of where we are."

But after five straight league defeats and with supporter unrest growing, Rodgers will not walk away: "I’ve always come in early and finished late at night," he said. “Until somebody tells me differently, I’ll continue to do that. We have to embrace the challenge. I’m certainly not going to shirk it."

Both clubs made healthy summer profits courtesy of Chelsea, but that is where the similarities end. These teams are on very different trajectories. Leicester need to learn to swim again but are splashing around wildly. They have "fight", as Rodgers said afterwards, but at times on Sunday it turned inward.

Read more here.

BBC Sport, Michael Emons

Leicester, bottom of the Premier League, scored after only 51 seconds when Kelechi Iheanacho finished from Patson Daka's pull-back from the left. However, the lead only lasted eight minutes before Solly March's header deflected into the net off Leicester defender Luke Thomas.

But in a frantic first half, Leicester scored again after 32 minutes. Youri Tielemans, deep inside his own half, played a ball over the top of the Brighton defence, Daka held off Lewis Dunk's challenge and slotted the ball past Robert Sanchez for 2-2.

Alexis Mac Allister thought he had restored the Seagulls' lead with a spectacular strike from 30 yards but, after a video assistant referee check that lasted more than four minutes, the goal was eventually ruled out for offside.

Read more here.

The Sun, Isabelle Barker

‘You're getting sacked in the morning’ rang around the Amex as Brighton heaped more misery on Brendan Rodgers and Leicester. Life came at the Foxes boss fast as Kelechi Iheanacho took the lead in just 52 seconds to hand Leicester a shred of wafer-thin confidence after a hellish start to the season.

Leicester were back in it through Patson Daka's equaliser before Leandro Trossard was on target and an Alexis Mac Allister penalty decimated any hope for the Foxes. It seemed as though Rodgers must have given his side the kick up the backside they needed because there was no messing around from the Foxes at the start.

Just one minute in, Thomas and Harvey Barnes made Solly March look like Scrappy Doo as they wrestled the ball off him and he flung to the floor in the process. Barnes teed up Patson Daka who fired a low cross to Kelechi Iheanacho to fire home from close range.

The Nigerian forward has been directly involved in 20 goals in his last 25 starts in the top-flight for the Foxes, being 15 times on target and adding five assists. But Brighton ruthlessly hit back and wasted no time in getting back into things with a nine minute leveller.

Read more here.

Stopped reading after that first line. As a club we’ve been in far worse positions than this. That’s not even including the non-footballing things we’ve been through. 

• Like 2

https://www.football365.com/news/leicester-players-puzzled-brendan-rodgers-plans-10m-pay-out-cost-revealed

The absolute sh*t-show at Leicester continues to lurch from disaster to disaster as it emerges that the club face a £10m pay-out if they sack Brendan Rodgers.

The Foxes boss has almost three years remaining on his contract but has managed to pick up just one point from their opening six games of the season, leaving him the clear favourite to be the next Premier League manager out of a job.

Rodgers looks like a dead man walking but the Daily Mail say that Leicester face a massive bill if they bite the bullet and sack the Northern Irishman.

They lost 5-2 to Brighton on Sunday in a game which Jamie Vardy started from the bench.

Leicester’s only outfield signing this summer was Belgian defender Wout Faes for £15m, while Wesley Fofana left for Chelsea to leave the squad significantly weaker.

Rodgers was asked whether he had the club’s support after that 5-2 shellacking at Brighton and said: “I’ve never asked for it in all my time here. I’ve never wanted it. I’ll continue to do my work and come in and study and do as much as I can.

“I’ve never turned work down. I’ve always come in early and finished late at night and until someone tells me differently I’ll continue to do that.”

But now a report in The Athletic suggests that there is ‘discontent and discord’ among the players, who are confused by the former Liverpool manager’s tactical instructions.

He has so far started 18 different players in six Premier League games, with Danny Ward, James Justin and Jonny Evans the only ever-presents. The XI that started at Brighton did not contain Vardy or Timothy Castagne.

Full-backs Justin and Luke Thomas were both included in our Premier League worst XI of the weekend.

The Athletic write: ‘Rodgers is struggling to get his message across and sources say there are concerns within his squad that players are uncertain of what is being asked of them, confused by the regular changing of systems and personnel, puzzled by the game plan.

‘One in attack, then two. Four at the back or five. There is some discontent and discord.’

That report likens the atmosphere at Leicester to the final days of Claudio Ranieri’s reign. Rodgers could well suffer the same fate as the Italian and if a title win gave him no protection, do not expect an FA Cup victory to offer him any insurance.

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I'm really getting bored of this narrative.

I understand that these people need to sell a story and that drama sells but it's just getting boring now.

There's really no disaster and it's not like I'm known for my naive optimism. We've a decent team, a lot of our dead wood is finally leaving next year, we've got excellent infrastructure, we've just had a summer that will really offset the previous year's spend for FFP and stable ownership that's committed to long-term growth.

This time last year we were everyone's tip to finish 5th again, now we're suddenly a broken mess? Behave. We've just got a manager who's developed a toxic relationship with the squad because he's been undermining their confidence for years. Guarantee pretty much as soon as he's gone we'll float back up to mid-table and have a safe and uneventful rest of the season with no real danger and by May nobody's going to even remember writing hyperbolic shit about Leicester's "disasters."

I guess it depends on how long it takes Top to bite the bullet I'm guessing after the Spurs game 2/3 week break. 

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I'm really getting bored of this narrative.

I understand that these people need to sell a story and that drama sells but it's just getting boring now.

There's really no disaster and it's not like I'm known for my naive optimism. We've a decent team, a lot of our dead wood is finally leaving next year, we've got excellent infrastructure, we've just had a summer that will really offset the previous year's spend for FFP and stable ownership that's committed to long-term growth.

This time last year we were everyone's tip to finish 5th again, now we're suddenly a broken mess? Behave. We've just got a manager who's developed a toxic relationship with the squad because he's been undermining their confidence for years. Guarantee pretty much as soon as he's gone we'll float back up to mid-table and have a safe and uneventful rest of the season with no real danger and by May nobody's going to even remember writing hyperbolic shit about Leicester's "disasters."

Exactly how I see it. We should still be an attractive proposition to a lot of managers. 

• Like 3

Pundits literal job is to be football 'experts', yet all they can offer is superficial analysis like that. Could you imagine a pundit having a cursory glance at a forum to see what fans actually think? 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Pundits literal job is to be football 'experts', yet all they can offer is superficial analysis like that. Could you imagine a pundit having a cursory glance at a forum to see what fans actually think? 

pretty much all pundits have zero knowledge of clubs outside the usual top 6. i have no idea why neville is so highly rated as a pundit.

• Like 2

Leicester City goalkeeper Danny Ward has been shortlisted for a Premier League award for August.

The Foxes No.1. is up for Castrol Save of the Month for his stop against Chelsea when he stretched out his foot to deflect Raheem Sterling’s shot on to the post.

He is one of eight goalkeepers nominated for the accolade and faces competition from the likes of Newcastle United’s Nick Pope and Nottingham Forest’s Dean Henderson.

Voting opens at 2pm on Thursday 8 September and closes at 12pm on Monday 12 September.

Castrol Save of the Month shortlist:

Illan Meslier | Leeds United vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers

José Sá | Leeds United vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers

Nick Pope | Brighton & Hove Albion vs. Newcastle United

Hugo Lloris | Chelsea vs. Tottenham Hotspur

Emiliano Martinez | Crystal Palace vs. Aston Villa

David Raya | Fulham vs. Brentford

Danny Ward | Chelsea vs. Leicester City

Dean Henderson | Nottingham Forest vs. Tottenham Hotspur

To vote for your Castrol Save of the Month, click HERE.

All times BST.

6 minutes ago, davieG said:
Leicester City goalkeeper Danny Ward has been shortlisted for a Premier League award for August.

The Foxes No.1. is up for Castrol Save of the Month for his stop against Chelsea when he stretched out his foot to deflect Raheem Sterling’s shot on to the post.

He is one of eight goalkeepers nominated for the accolade and faces competition from the likes of Newcastle United’s Nick Pope and Nottingham Forest’s Dean Henderson.

Voting opens at 2pm on Thursday 8 September and closes at 12pm on Monday 12 September.

Was a great save to be fair, was stood right behind it. Has rightly been criticised recently, but I really enjoyed that save

Newcastle United supporters rarely had any reason to praise Mike Ashley during his turbulent ownership of the club, although one case in which the St James’ Park faithful may well applaud the Englishman is regarding the sale of former Magpies striker Ayoze Perez.

The forward had been signed for a fee of just £1.5m from Tenerife in 2014, with reports suggesting that he had even snubbed the likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid in order to come to the Premier League, having scored 17 goals and provided seven assists in 51 games for his previous club.

The versatile attacker quickly became a key figure for the Tynesiders over the next few years, eventually racking up 195 appearances for the club in all competitions, scoring 48 goals and supplying 17 assists.

That five-year spell notably saw the former Spain under-21 international prove integral in securing promotion out of the Championship in 2017 – having scored nine league goals – while he also netted 12 top-flight goals in his final campaign at the club in 2018/19.

Having been a key figure under compatriot Rafael Benitez, the departure of the former Liverpool boss ultimately sparked Perez’s exit from St James’ Park, with the 5 foot 10 menace opting to join Leicester City in 2019.

Although something of a blow at the time, the decision to sanction the Spaniard’s departure has become to look a real masterstroke by those at Newcastle, with Ashley having played a blinder in securing a hefty £30m fee for a player who was a reliable, yet far from prolific, goalscorer.

Now valued at a measly £9m by Transfermarkt, the 29-year-old has endured a real decline since his departure from St James’ Park, with reports earlier this summer having even suggested that he could secure a move elsewhere.

As Leicester now face the prospect of losing him for nothing next summer with less than a year left on his current contract, that £30m windfall now looks even more astute by Ashley and co – particularly considering that those funds were subsequently used to help secure the £16.5m arrival of current talisman Allan Saint-Maximin later that summer.