Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

12 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I think my favourite bit of football banter in the modern game is their ridiculous forced Don't Care About Leicester shtick. It's so brilliantly unintentionally funny. 

An absolute paradox. If you have to tell everyone you don't care THAT much, you really fvcking care and THE most ironic part of all is that we don't really care that much. 

Like to us it's just, yknow, a local game against a local team like any other local rivalry in the sport. 

But they've gone so far as to make it this huge weird thing with its own narrative and significance where they're forced to admit they like hanging out with their SUPPOSED biggest rivals more than us. lol

Every layer of it makes it funnier and funnier. 

I believe as the kids say, we live in their heads rent fvcking free. 

Mind you the latest drubbing of 4 - 0 the tifo and the wonderful rendition of Forest get battered sung by the whole of Leicester supporters, will live rent-free in my mind forever.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stadt said:

The dissonance they go through as fanbase is hilarious. Half of them go on about how they only hate Derby; the other half bang on about how Notts County, Sheff United, Mansfield, Leeds, Liverpool etc are bigger games than us.

Don't also forget Peterborough Utd, Lincoln City, Chesterfield, Sheffield Wednesday, Barnsley and Grimsby Town.   

All bigger rivalries.

On 06/10/2022 at 22:25, Jobyfox said:

I often wonder if there is precedent for this anywhere else. Would Man Utd fans sing to Man City that they only care about Liverpool, for example, or Newcastle sing about their rivalry with Sunderland to Middlesbrough fans? 

I could understand it more if we were a lower division club and they were both in the PL. It’s not much of an insult to sing about an exclusive rivalry with a club who we’ve comfortably outperformed for more than 30 years and are currently in the 3rd tier is it? 

For whatever bizarre reason their rivalry with Derby defines them as fans. To us they’re just geographically close by clubs we want to beat. We don’t want to “force” a rivalry because we’re not defined by it. I think that’s what they don’t understand. 

Its a great point. Brentford and QPR dont sing about being all on their own when either play Chelsea.

Even if we somehow say we are the Middlesbrough and Newcastle/Sunderland are Derby/Forest, I know a lot of Newcastle fans and they would never, ever scream and shout about how Middlesbrough arent a rival and how them and Sunderland are all on their own. They just are rivals, its a big one which is genuine and bloody obvious. They never tell the country how big it is.

Saw that non stop signing 4-5 meme this morning. Think it was a Notts County who originally posted it but all the comments were unprompted shouts about how we are obsessed with them, arent a rival and how their only rival is Derby. Apart from being the team who beat them 4-0, we werent mentioned at all lol

Its just all so fvckin strange behaviour, needs to be a psycho analysed or something.

On 05/10/2022 at 12:42, Yes said:

Because to them they really are world famous, it’s not like when West Ham call themselves massive for a joke, these lot just wholeheartedly believe it, while we’ve only done it to take the piss we’ve actually got more of a claim to the world famous tag than they do but they’re not self aware enough to get that.

100% Forest have the most deluded, narcissistic fans in the country without a hint of irony.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-bournemouth-match-reports-7682215

The Guardian

"For Bournemouth, there was a prospective new owner in town, the Las Vegas-based billionaire Bill Foley, and a touch of razzmatazz to match as two goals in four second-half minutes secured a comeback victory against a lackadaisical Leicester that gives little credence to the suggestion by Brendan Rodgers only a matter of days ago that his struggling side had turned a corner.

Graham Potter post Wolves Press conference
"For Leicester, this display was a pale imitation of the demolition of Nottingham Forest on Monday, a result that Rodgers had stressed his players needed to back up with another win here. Instead familiar failings resurfaced and Rodgers was left thumping his thighs in frustration as Philip Billing and Ryan Christie rendered Patson Daka’s opener redundant as his side crumbled to a defeat that leaves them in the relegation zone and, in effect, back at square one."

Full report here

Daily Telegraph

"He saw his new team come from behind to beat Leicester 2-1, with O’Neil unbeaten in five matches since taking interim charge after Scott Parker’s departure. Brendan Rodgers’ future is once again looking very bleak.

"It was a match which Bournemouth just about deserved to win, though Rodgers will be concerned at the fragility of his team’s defending having got themselves into a strong position with just over 20 minutes of the game remaining."

Full report here

The Indepdendent

"In-form Patson Daka had looked set to spoil the occasion for the south-coast side by firing the struggling Foxes into a 10th-minute lead at Vitality Stadium.

"Yet Brendan Rodgers’ visitors paid a heavy price for a string of defensive errors and opting to drop deep as they blew the chance to move out of the relegation zone."

Full report here

Sky Sports

"Bournemouth scored two second-half goals in the space of four minutes through Philip Billing and Ryan Christie to complete a thrilling 2-1 comeback win over Leicester City.

"The recalled Patson Daka fired the Foxes into a 10th minute lead at Vitality Stadium, sweeping home a first-time finish after Harvey Barnes' initial effort was blocked."

Full report here

BBC Sport

"Substitute Jamie Vardy helped inject some urgency into Leicester's play and he went close with a couple of cross-shots, but the good feeling established by Monday's 4-0 win over Nottingham Forest had long evaporated by the end and the pressure had turned up once more on boss Brendan Rodgers.

"Defeat keeps Leicester mired in 19th with just four points from their opening nine games, while Bournemouth move up to eighth, level on points with Manchester United who play Everton on Sunday."

Full report here

Football 365's response to a Telegraph article asking - Can Arsenal ‘do a Leicester’ and win the title?  https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/10/10/can-arsenal-really-do-leicester-win-premier-league/

https://www.football365.com/news/arsenal-do-leicester-win-title-absolutely-ludicrous-question-mediawatch

Can Arsenal ‘do a Leicester’ and win the title? What an absolutely ludicrous question
Date published: Tuesday 11th October 2022 11:38 - Editor F365

Gabriel Martinelli celebrates his goal
Were Arsenal fighting relegation last season? So why are people acting like a surprisingly strong start is something akin to a miracle? It’s embarrassing.

Silly thing dilly dong
We have to start with the headline in the Daily Telegraph. And what a headline it is. And by that we mean, what an absolute load of utter tosh that has little to no grounding in reality. Telegraph, we expect better of you.

‘Can Arsenal really ‘do a Leicester’ and win the Premier League?’

‘Do a Leicester’? Were Arsenal 14th last season? Were Arsenal 5000/1 shots for the title? No, they were fifth and 40/1.

This has been an excellent start from Arsenal but they are three-times Premier League champions and their net spend over the last five years is second only to Manchester United. This start is slightly unexpected but it’s not sodding Leicester.

It turns out the Leicester reference comes from Nigel Winterburn, who said: “Why not? They have to still be up there when the World Cup break comes, obviously. But look at what Leicester did. It’s not impossible.”

It’s at this point that writer Jim White should have ignored that ludicrous comment but instead he warmed to the theme.

‘The spectre at the feast of such joyous speculation is this: in 2016 when Claudio Ranieri outwitted the pack to win the title with Leicester, five of the big six clubs had relatively poor seasons. This time, while Liverpool and Chelsea may be stuttering, at least one of them is showing no signs of faltering form. There are two words that suggest any discussion on the Grove fairways of an Arsenal title may well be fanciful: Manchester and City.’

What’s bizarre is that White clearly knows that Arsenal are one of those big six clubs and yet is somehow willing to go along with this fanciful notion that Arsenal – who finished fifth last season – are somehow on a par with that Leicester side who had finished 14th the year before.

It’s nothing short of bizarre and has left Mediawatch with one regret: We wish we had got on Arsenal at 5000/1 in August. Just after they bought two actual Premier League title winners.

We really must insist
This confusion at Arsenal being any good is repeated across the media (they were surprisingly TOP on Monday, remember?), with MailOnline bringing us this headline:

‘Roy Keane insists Arsenal are ‘the biggest challenge to Man City’ in the Premier League title race following Liverpool victory… as Jamie Carragher claims ‘you can just feel something’ at the Emirates’

Just how vehemently did Roy Keane ‘insist’ that the team actually top of the Premier League might be the biggest challengers to the team in second? And just how hard was he pushed?

Tales of the unexpected
The Express website go even further, reporting that ‘Arsenal told why they are Man City’s main title rivals in unexpected Roy Keane verdict’.

They are top of the f***ing table. They are clear second-favourites in the betting. Why the hell is this an ‘unexpected Roy Keane verdict’? Because he played for Manchester United? Grow the f*** up.

‘Manchester United hero Roy Keane has unexpectedly explained why he believes Arsenal are Manchester City’s main Premier League title rivals this season. The Gunners leapfrogged the Citizens to return to the top of the table on Sunday after defeating Liverpool 3-2 at the Emirates Stadium.’

Only five clubs have ever had better starts to a Premier League season. Come back to us when somebody unexpectedly says they are not Manchester City’s biggest challengers.

Super snub
But things could have been even better for Leicester Arsenal this season, had they managed to sign Bruno Guimaraes in January.

But of course Bruno turned down Arsenal. Or rather he did according to the Mirror website because Arsenal are top of the table and trending so they really must be crowbarred into every headline.

‘Roy Keane and Jamie Carragher in agreement over “complete midfielder” who snubbed Arsenal’

Which is odd because it takes literally six paragraphs to make it clear that he did not snub Arsenal at all.

‘Guimaraes was strongly linked with a move to Arsenal in January, with the Gunners looking for a creative midfielder. He revealed in May that he joined Newcastle because it was his only “concrete offer” from a Premier League club with Champions League ambitions – and it appears to have been a good decision, considering his form.’

Can you snub a club who have never actually made you an offer? And can it be a ‘good decision’ if you literally only have one option? Did Mediawatch make a good decision to snub Claudia Winkleman and marry our actual wife? So many questions.

26 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Our position more to do with expected saves not made by our goalkeeper than expected goals not scored by our strikers ….

That's exactly the issue. I can't believe Rodgers hasn't started Iversen in the league yet. If he doesn't, the next manager I expect will do, unless Kasper comes home in January. 

37 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Starting Iversen would mean that Rodgers was wrong having backed Ward so vehemently in public. He would never publicly be seen to be wrong.

Genuinely starting to believe he’d rather lose his job than admit to being at fault.

He would. His arrogance is completely at fault

here. Both persisting with the tactics and style he’s used at every club plus shoehorning his favourites into the side will take us down.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Starting Iversen would mean that Rodgers was wrong having backed Ward so vehemently in public. He would never publicly be seen to be wrong.

Genuinely starting to believe he’d rather lose his job than admit to being at fault.

That did cross my mind, but at the same time I can think of a number of occasions when a player has been given a run in the team for quite a long time, performed badly but still kept their place, but then eventually lost their place. 

- Perez

- Soyuncu

- Soumare

- Maddison

- Tielemans

- Albrighton

- Barnes

- Vardy

I would say that players tend to get about 10-12 games before he makes a change like that. Last season Soumare started the first 10 or so games but then rarely featured. Perez was a mainstay for the longest time but got phased out. Maddison got phased out for a while before making his triumphant return. 

Not all of these players got backed publicly, but Tielemans and Maddison definitely did, before eventually getting the chop. 

Ward has bene so abysmally poor though. Quite literally cost us points in every game. Iversen was the hero in the cup win even! 

My theory up until the Forest game was that Rodgers was playing Ward because he wanted the sack and payoff that came with it. Now I have no idea, which to be honest seems to be running theme across Leicester City FC right now across both playing staff, non-playing staff and owners. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

That did cross my mind, but at the same time I can think of a number of occasions when a player has been given a run in the team for quite a long time, performed badly but still kept their place, but then eventually lost their place. 

- Perez

- Soyuncu

- Soumare

- Maddison

- Tielemans

- Albrighton

- Barnes

- Vardy

I would say that players tend to get about 10-12 games before he makes a change like that. Last season Soumare started the first 10 or so games but then rarely featured. Perez was a mainstay for the longest time but got phased out. Maddison got phased out for a while before making his triumphant return. 

Not all of these players got backed publicly, but Tielemans and Maddison definitely did, before eventually getting the chop. 

Ward has bene so abysmally poor though. Quite literally cost us points in every game. Iversen was the hero in the cup win even! 

My theory up until the Forest game was that Rodgers was playing Ward because he wanted the sack and payoff that came with it. Now I have no idea, which to be honest seems to be running theme across Leicester City FC right now across both playing staff, non-playing staff and owners. 

I remain convinced that Rodgers wants the sack and that the win v Forest came in spite of him rather than because of him. 

Edited by Mike Oxlong
  • Like 2

On 08/10/2022 at 09:30, Nalis said:

Its a great point. Brentford and QPR dont sing about being all on their own when either play Chelsea.

Even if we somehow say we are the Middlesbrough and Newcastle/Sunderland are Derby/Forest, I know a lot of Newcastle fans and they would never, ever scream and shout about how Middlesbrough arent a rival and how them and Sunderland are all on their own. They just are rivals, its a big one which is genuine and bloody obvious. They never tell the country how big it is.

Saw that non stop signing 4-5 meme this morning. Think it was a Notts County who originally posted it but all the comments were unprompted shouts about how we are obsessed with them, arent a rival and how their only rival is Derby. Apart from being the team who beat them 4-0, we werent mentioned at all lol

It’s just all so fvckin strange behaviour, needs to be a psycho analysed or something.

It depends where we’re from.  I think it’s true that fans in North Notts aren’t bothered about Leicester, but those like me from the city or South Notts, or even Lincolnshire definitely are.  If you’re from near Loughborough, East Leake etc it’s your main rivalry.  

overall the song sums up the order of teams our fanbase as a whole dislikes:

we hate Derby County, we hate leicester too, we hate Sheffield United but Forest we love you 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ForestAreMagic said:

It depends where we’re from.  I think it’s true that fans in North Notts aren’t bothered about Leicester, but those like me from the city or South Notts, or even Lincolnshire definitely are.  If you’re from near Loughborough, East Leake etc it’s your main rivalry.

Yeah, this makes sense, same as traditionally Leicester fans from round Loughborough hate Forest most, for those from NW Leics it's Derby and those in a Hinckley direction hate Cov.

22 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

I think that was a real strength of ours from the time Nigel joined until lockdown hit. It always felt like we had a real togetherness in the squad and they enjoyed a beer or two together. This was then reflected on the pitch.

I dont know if we have that same mentality now, I don’t tend to see the pictures or hear the stories of them all out together.

Maybe that’s part of the problem