Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

I should regard Mahrez as a hero but he tainted his time here with the way he behaved when he was pushing for a move. Now I can’t help but feel resentment towards him, it’s a shame considering he did with us by far his and our biggest achievement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

No. 

He's been publicly disparaging about the club multiple times. I wouldn't be giving him any air time if I were the club. 

At least he stayed for some time after. Yeah it’s never good to throw your toys out the of the pram but at least he didn’t jump ship at the first chance like Kante did. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jmono84 said:

I should regard Mahrez as a hero but he tainted his time here with the way he behaved when he was pushing for a move. Now I can’t help but feel resentment towards him, it’s a shame considering he did with us by far his and our biggest achievement.

I just view him as part of a legendary squad but do not see him as a legend, tainted his status with almost everyone that sits around me in the ground and everyone I speak to at work and a chunk of them support other clubs :ph34r:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr Weller 2 said:

Weller was my boyhood hero but even I’ll admit he was inconsistent. Great player but to say he was better than Mahrez is stretching it a bit.

What and Mahrez was always consistant? Mahrez had some absolutely dreadfull games where he done practically nothing, and there were games when he didnt look like he could even be arsed to make an effort. The one thing Weller couldnt be accused of, is not being arsed, even at that period of time when he had asked for a transfer.

Also, i know it`s difficult to judge players from different eras, but i would have loved to have seen how Mahrez would have got on playing on the ploughed fields that they played on in Wellers day, not to mention playing against the likes of Chopper Harris, and Norman bites yer legs Hunter every week, with little or no protection from the referee.

At the end of the day its about opinions, you clearly believe that Mahrez is the better player, but for me, as i said in my original post, i`m taking Weller over Mahrez, absolutely every time.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Bert said:

At least he stayed for some time after. Yeah it’s never good to throw your toys out the of the pram but at least he didn’t jump ship at the first chance like Kante did. 

Didn't have much choice did he? If Mahrez had a release clause that had been activated he'd of gone as quick as Kante.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Spudulike said:

The content that was rushed out by the club in the first few weeks after winning the title needs to be revisited as it was nothing more than a highlights reel. 

I'd say that it's time the club made a professional documentary/film in this type of format to include the thoughts of players/fans/Claudio and Vichai in each stage as the season progressed. 

We also need a coffee table book just about our greatest ever season that details match by match the events as they unfolded. 

Hopefully there will be a load of ten year anniversary stuff in 2026.

Just now, Nalis said:

Blue Moon posters calling us boring for not rolling over to lose 6 nil lol

Yeah they're used to getting what they want from the money they've spent. 

They can't always have it all their own way! 

18 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Blue Moon posters calling us boring for not rolling over to lose 6 nil lol

If other teams parked the bus against us we'd be focusing on how we can break them down rather than throwing the oil covered toys out of the pram about the opposition.

So boring that we had as many shots on target as them. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Didn't have much choice did he? If Mahrez had a release clause that had been activated he'd of gone as quick as Kante.

Just because there’s a release clause doesn’t mean you’re obliged to leave. 

9 minutes ago, Bert said:

Just because there’s a release clause doesn’t mean you’re obliged to leave. 

I never said anyone was obliged to leave? Just pointing out it's pretty naive to think had Mahrez had a fairly low release clause and it was activated by any bigger club he wouldn't have left.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

I never said anyone was obliged to leave? Just pointing out it's pretty naive to think had Mahrez had a fairly low release clause and it was activated by any bigger club he wouldn't have left.

He had the chance to join Arsenal lol 

4 minutes ago, Bert said:

He had the chance to join Arsenal lol 

He didn't actually did he, he came out and said he was annoyed that we didn't sell him and it was also reported he didn't want to force a move at that point. So if he had a release clause he wouldn't of had to force anything.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-man-city-national-media-7762343

Foxes prioritise pragmatic performance for Pep
The Guardian, Ben Fisher

City’s pass-o-meter was almost off the scale – Pep Guardiola’s side completed almost twice as many as a Leicester side set up to frustrate and flummox – but in the end Kevin De Bruyne’s majestic second-half free-kick, which cannoned in off a post, proved the difference as the champions moved top of the pile.

Guardiola suggested Jamie Vardy played akin to a defensive midfielder, painting a picture of the task facing his team. Space was at a premium as Leicester stationed 11 blue shirts behind the ball for long periods.

He described how Julián Álvarez, who replaced Haaland in one of six changes from Tuesday’s draw at Borussia Dortmund, was surrounded by three centre-backs, one of whom was Caglar Soyuncu, in from the deep freeze to make his first league start since May. “Leicester defended incredibly well, so deep, with a lot of people and it’s difficult,” Guardiola said.

Leicester had to work overtime in their 5-4-1 shape to merely make it into the City half and when they did it was something of a cause for celebration.

Midway through the first half Youri Tielemans fizzed a pass into Vardy centrally but the striker was soon hounded and shifted the ball on to Harvey Barnes, who saw a shot parried by Ederson. James Maddison ambled towards the corner flag to take the subsequent set piece, determined to enjoy a rare breather.

City cling on to withstand late Leicester fightback
Sky Sports, Richard Morgan

In a tightly fought contest at the King Power on Saturday lunchtime, Pep Guardiola's side secured "a massive win" thanks to Kevin De Bruyne's swerving 49th-minute free-kick that sailed up and over the Leicester wall from 25 yards out, before finding the back of the net off the inside of the post with Danny Ward helpless.

Leicester took on City having returned to form of late after winning their last three games at home without conceding, but with a change of shape as Brendan Rodgers switched to a 3-4-3.

However, three at the back actually turned into five in the first half as City dominated both possession and territory, pushing their hosts back right from the start, albeit without really testing Ward.

That all changed, though, after half-time as City came out in a different gear. Jack Grealish was bundled over to hand City a free-kick 25 yards out, just left of centre, with De Bruyne doing what he does best, arching a gorgeous strike over the wall for his seventh goal from outside box since start of last season.

That strike opened the game up, with Leicester almost drawing level immediately in spectacular style as from James Maddison's left-wing corner picked out Youri Tielemans on the edge of the area, with the Foxes skipper's first-time volley brilliantly tipped on to the bar by Ederson's outstretched hand.

'No regrets' as Leicester rally for Rodgers
Daily Mail, Joe Bernstein

Leicester, who had kept three clean sheets in a row, defended doggedly with three-centre halves among 10 men behind the ball.

It meant the visitors dominated statistics for possession, shots and corners yet Leicester, hovering just inside the relegation zone, also had the occasional chance, most strikingly when Youri Tielemans produced a cracking volley that Ederson tipped onto the bar.

They came out of their shell late on after two strikers came off the bench and might have levelled in injury-time when Kelechi Iheanacho scuffed a finish and a clearance from John Stones hit team-mate Ruben Dias on the back and flew for a corner.

Brendan Rodgers had no regrets about leaving it until the final 20 minutes before giving it a go. "They are the best team in the world and they’ve punished better teams than us if they are given space," he said.

'World-class' De Bruyne produces 'world-class' moment
BBC, Phil McNulty

Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers described Kevin De Bruyne as "a brilliant player, a fantastic player" and this was his 25th Premier League goal from outside the box, the ninth highest tally of any player in top-tier history and the most of any currently active player.

It needed patience from the visitors in the face of Leicester City's risk-averse strategy, which was not cast aside until it was too late, although Rodgers insisted it had to be factored in that they were up against a team of such quality.

There had to be a measure of frustration, though, that having been released from the shackles after De Bruyne's goal, Leicester did threaten as Youri Tielemans saw a superb volley from a corner touched against the bar by Ederson.

They also induced moments of panic in the visitors' defence, especially in the closing seconds when John Stones headed an attempted clearance against Ruben Dias, the rebound flying just wide of his own goal.

In the end, however, it was as it has been so often for Pep Guardiola's side - a world-class player producing an unstoppable world-class moment.

• Thanks 1