Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

On Pointless earlier, final round ‘The Year 1963’ and one of the categories, players who played in the FA cup final that year between Leicester and Man Utd. 30 years before I was born but managed to get a sneaky pointless answer in John Sjoeberg. Must admit to not recognising most names from that era!

1 minute ago, LCFCJohn said:

On Pointless earlier, final round ‘The Year 1963’ and one of the categories, players who played in the FA cup final that year between Leicester and Man Utd. 30 years before I was born but managed to get a sneaky pointless answer in John Sjoeberg. Must admit to not recognising most names from that era!

Oh missed that. As old bloke would have loved that question. 

50 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

I immediately thought Sjoberg, Keyworth and Cross when the question came up. I think every Leicester player except Banks was pointless.

1 hour ago, LCFCJohn said:

Was Dave Gibson a pointless answer? That’s the only name that popped into my head….

21 hours ago, LCFCJohn said:

I watched it and got a clean sweep!

The Mrs and kids were staring at me like I was some sort of mentalist.

She just looked at me and said "You weren't even born, how do you know that?"

Why would I not know that? lol

I went with Sjoberg, Cross and McLintock, but did name a few more!

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-everton-match-report-7789811

The Guardian , Andy Hunter

Should Gareth Southgate ignore the England claims of James Maddison yet again on Thursday the only conclusion to draw is that it must be personal. Everton were the latest to succumb to the playmaker’s creative charms as the Leicester revival continued in solid and spectacular fashion.

Youri Tielemans added another superb goal to his rich catalogue and Harvey Barnes rounded off a flowing counterattack as Brendan Rodgers’ team propelled themselves out of the relegation zone with a highly accomplished away display. Maddison supplied the pass for both goals, his third and fourth assists of the season, struck a post and spread fear throughout the Everton defence with his speed of thought and footwork.

The Telegraph , Chris Bascombe

Should Southgate still be unconvinced by the most technically efficient and – more pertinently – in-form English midfielder in the country, perhaps Harry Kane will offer a gentle nudge on his behalf.

Imagine Kane pouncing on one of the many perfectly weighted Maddison through balls in this majestic 90 minutes.

Youri Tielemans’s joining in the nearby firework display with a rocket of his own confirmed Leicester’s superiority, but the sparks came whenever Everton were led a merry dance down Maddison Avenue. The final, lingering image was of Maddison teeing up Harvey Barnes for Leicester’s second on 87 minutes.

Here is the “X-factor” footballer that can transform Southgate’s options. It is impossible to imagine 26 England players who are performing at this level at the moment.

The Daily Mail , Joe Bernstein

James Maddison still might not get into Gareth Southgate’s England World Cup squad but he couldn’t have done any more in his final audition before Thursday’s announcement.

Maddison not only provided both assists as Leicester climbed out of the relegation zone all the way up to 13th. He also dictated play and got into areas to be a real goal threat. None of his five shots in the first half were too far away, and he got even closer in the second, striking the outside of the post.

It was easy to see why Leicester’s owners kept faith in Brendan Rodgers when they were bottom of the table. They were class apart from a strangely lethargic Everton and are now above them on goal difference.

BBC Sport , Matthew Howarth

Maddison's sparkling display will have done his hopes of a place in Gareth Southgate's England World Cup squad no harm whatsoever.

The 25-year-old was at the heart of the Foxes' best attacking moves but the visitors' finishing proved their downfall early on, Pickford producing a one-handed save to deny Daka before Barnes blazed over the crossbar from Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall's pass.

The only thing missing from Maddison's performance was a goal. James Tarkowski and Idrissa Gueye both produced blocks to deny the former Norwich man in the first half, before he rattled the woodwork with an ingenious effort midway through the second half.

He did, however, set up both Leicester goals - the first of which was a contender for goal of the season from Tielemans. The Belgium international is out of contract next summer but Rodgers has said he will "continue to work with" the 25-year-old despite his uncertain future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 01/11/2022 at 18:50, tom27111 said:

I watched it and got a clean sweep!

The Mrs and kids were staring at me like I was some sort of mentalist.

She just looked at me and said "You weren't even born, how do you know that?"

Why would I not know that? lol

I went with Sjoberg, Cross and McLintock, but did name a few more!

I was 6 but the names are seeped within. I went with Ian King, Richie Norman and Ken Keyworth

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

I was 6 but the names are seeped within. I went with Ian King, Richie Norman and Ken Keyworth

That white kit was briliant. Back in the days when cup finals had to have contrast for black and white tv. Now the maroon kit is the no 1 apart from our usual blue.

43 minutes ago, davieG said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-everton-match-report-7789811

The Guardian , Andy Hunter

Should Gareth Southgate ignore the England claims of James Maddison yet again on Thursday the only conclusion to draw is that it must be personal. Everton were the latest to succumb to the playmaker’s creative charms as the Leicester revival continued in solid and spectacular fashion.

Youri Tielemans added another superb goal to his rich catalogue and Harvey Barnes rounded off a flowing counterattack as Brendan Rodgers’ team propelled themselves out of the relegation zone with a highly accomplished away display. Maddison supplied the pass for both goals, his third and fourth assists of the season, struck a post and spread fear throughout the Everton defence with his speed of thought and footwork.

The Telegraph , Chris Bascombe

Should Southgate still be unconvinced by the most technically efficient and – more pertinently – in-form English midfielder in the country, perhaps Harry Kane will offer a gentle nudge on his behalf.

Imagine Kane pouncing on one of the many perfectly weighted Maddison through balls in this majestic 90 minutes.

Youri Tielemans’s joining in the nearby firework display with a rocket of his own confirmed Leicester’s superiority, but the sparks came whenever Everton were led a merry dance down Maddison Avenue. The final, lingering image was of Maddison teeing up Harvey Barnes for Leicester’s second on 87 minutes.

Here is the “X-factor” footballer that can transform Southgate’s options. It is impossible to imagine 26 England players who are performing at this level at the moment.

The Daily Mail , Joe Bernstein

James Maddison still might not get into Gareth Southgate’s England World Cup squad but he couldn’t have done any more in his final audition before Thursday’s announcement.

Maddison not only provided both assists as Leicester climbed out of the relegation zone all the way up to 13th. He also dictated play and got into areas to be a real goal threat. None of his five shots in the first half were too far away, and he got even closer in the second, striking the outside of the post.

It was easy to see why Leicester’s owners kept faith in Brendan Rodgers when they were bottom of the table. They were class apart from a strangely lethargic Everton and are now above them on goal difference.

BBC Sport , Matthew Howarth

Maddison's sparkling display will have done his hopes of a place in Gareth Southgate's England World Cup squad no harm whatsoever.

The 25-year-old was at the heart of the Foxes' best attacking moves but the visitors' finishing proved their downfall early on, Pickford producing a one-handed save to deny Daka before Barnes blazed over the crossbar from Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall's pass.

The only thing missing from Maddison's performance was a goal. James Tarkowski and Idrissa Gueye both produced blocks to deny the former Norwich man in the first half, before he rattled the woodwork with an ingenious effort midway through the second half.

He did, however, set up both Leicester goals - the first of which was a contender for goal of the season from Tielemans. The Belgium international is out of contract next summer but Rodgers has said he will "continue to work with" the 25-year-old despite his uncertain future.

What does the lad have to do! He is clearly the best creative English midfielder we have at the moment, you cannot argue with the assists and goals.

There will be games in the World Cup where we'll need to create something and  put a 20yrd free kick top bins, players who can do this regularly are very few and far between.

He's been fantastic not just for one game (Rashford) but for 18months for goodness sake.

He's got the big game mentality, he works hard - he is the real deal.

Those of us who have witnessed top class talent over the years recognise he is up there with the very best we've ever seen - Weller, Worthington, Shilton, Banks, Vardy, Lineker, Kante 

I'll be gutted for him if he does not go.

• Like 2

I fear for Madders - if he doesn’t get a place in the England squad he will probably take the view that he must go to one of the so called big teams in order to get future international opportunities 

If Southgate does take him and then does  the almost inevitable of leaving JM on the bench for all but 10 minutes of the tournament then Madders will reach the same conclusion and will seek to move to one of the big 6 or Newcastle in order to try and have an England career.

If Southgate doesn’t pick him for the squad and therefore goes against his “must be playing and must be in form “ then I’m not sure I can even be arsed to watch them playing

27 minutes ago, Solihullfox said:

I fear for Madders - if he doesn’t get a place in the England squad he will probably take the view that he must go to one of the so called big teams in order to get future international opportunities 

If Southgate does take him and then does  the almost inevitable of leaving JM on the bench for all but 10 minutes of the tournament then Madders will reach the same conclusion and will seek to move to one of the big 6 or Newcastle in order to try and have an England career.

If Southgate doesn’t pick him for the squad and therefore goes against his “must be playing and must be in form “ then I’m not sure I can even be arsed to watch them playing

He’ll end up with a Super6 team or abroad whether he’s picked/played or not either next summer or the one after.

1 minute ago, davieG said:

He’ll end up with a Super6 team or abroad whether he’s picked/played or not either next summer or the one after.

If he is not selected for England after recent efforts, he never will while at Leicester, so you could hardly blame him. :(

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

If he is not selected for England after recent efforts, he never will while at Leicester, so you could hardly blame him. :(

I don’t, I’m realistic enough to know that anyone of his calibre is unlikely to stay with us for long. If we’re in Europe we might keep them longer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

I don’t, I’m realistic enough to know that anyone of his calibre is unlikely to stay with us for long. If we’re in Europe we might keep them longer.

Indeed, and sorry, it was not targeted at you specifically, I should have said ‘we’ as it was more a general ‘nobody could blame him’

10 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

Was this actually Leicester? Dont remember that

Don’t know for sure if that’s us or not, but our fans do love a volley “**** the IRA” too.

Whilst distasteful it’s at least ‘relevant’ with McClean. It was just weird when it was sung in Madrid, Seville, and anywhere else!