Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

On 09/01/2023 at 11:19, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I think Mahrez has the best first touch in world football, no exaggeration, float one over 50 yards over his head and it'll stick to his left peg like glue if he wants it to. Majestic. 

I'm convinced this was the moment Pep decided he needed to buy Mahrez, I even remember thinking that at the KP as the goal went in. At 53 seconds........

https://www.google.com/search?q=leicester+4+man+city+2&sxsrf=AJOqlzWqmuChqijnb--fBE2MfzmEQ7SEpQ:1673443732035&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjP88vZz7_8AhVYg1wKHZ7BA20Q_AUoAXoECAMQAw&biw=1536&bih=775&dpr=1.25#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:ea8b0765,vid:YdKx8za4lZM

• Like 1

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/leicester-city-newcastle-carabao-cup-8016352?fbclid=IwAR1XYi5-ZTqdI6t_dOlDOptM7S0PIlNfYLaJlhsAxiAADbCJHHyX6jDwRQM

‘Outclassed and outplayed’ - How the national media reported Leicester City's Carabao Cup exit

BBC:

Newcastle boss Eddie Howe said “you couldn’t script it” as Dan Burn’s first goal for his boyhood club sent the Magpies on their way to the Carabao Cup semi-final with victory over Leicester.

The Magpies, who sit third in the Premier League and are hunting a first trophy in more than 50 years, did not let a fervent and expectant St James’ Park down.

They wasted a host of chances before 6ft 6in defender Burn ran on to Joelinton’s pass, beat two defenders and slotted a shot into the bottom corner.

A 5-0 win would not have flattered the Magpies, with Joelinton hitting the post and Sean Longstaff missing several chances.

Substitute Jamie Vardy missed two glorious chances to get Leicester back into the game but their performance merited nothing.

It was another miserable night for Brendan Rodgers’ side, who have only beaten MK Dons and Gillingham since the break in their season in November.

The Sun:

Eddie Howe is hardly known for his manic goal celebrations. But when Joelinton calmly stuck the ball past Danny Ward for the second, to put Newcastle into their first League Cup semi-final since 1976, the Toon boss could no longer contain himself.

With most of the 52009 crowd celebrating wildly, Howe screamed, punched the air and shouted some more towards the supporters.

Because for Howe, like everyone at this club, this was one hell of a big moment.

For the Newcastle coach, it was a major release of pressure just 72 hours after his team had been knocked out of the FA Cup by League One side Sheffield Wednesday.

Howe and his team deserved this. Just when it seemed as though Newcastle were going to shoot themselves in the foot after total domination - with outstanding Leicester keeper Danny Ward making six saves - defender Dan Burn scored his first Newcastle goal on the hour.

And then Joelinton sealed the tie which, incredibly, will be Newcastle’s first appearance in any semi-final since the FA Cup 18 years ago.

Sky Sports:

Newcastle moved a step closer to ending a 54-year major trophy drought with a 2-0 quarter-final win over Leicester in the Carabao Cup.

In front of an explosive St James’ Park atmosphere, Newcastle dominated but took until the 60th minute to open the scoring when Dan Burn notched his first goal for the club.

That lead was doubled 12 minutes later as Joelinton escaped in behind down the left and picked out the same corner as Burn did to rubberstamp the victory.

Leicester, who offered little for large parts without the still injured James Maddison, did create a couple of late openings but substitute Jamie Vardy wasted the pick of them, side-footing wide with the goal gaping from seven yards out.

The Telegraph:

It was the centre back, playing at left back, born in Blyth, who made it as a footballer elsewhere. It was the Newcastle United fan scoring in front of the Gallowgate End who sent Eddie Howe’s side on their way to a first cup semi-final for 18 years. It was Dan Burn.

A generation of fans have been born, grown up and turned into adults since Newcastle last played a semi final. This was a night of release and relief, as well as wild celebrations, joy and an explosion of love for Howe and his players.

There has been a lot of pain, a lot of frustration, during those dark, dreary years of underachievement. But this is a new Newcastle and it was in front of a seething, swaying mass of black and white in the stands. A giant is not stirring, it is sitting bolt upright and looks ready to go on a rampage.

Burn is as close to a giant as they have on the pitch. Tall, gangly, a little ungainly. Howe loves him so much that he plays him at left back, even though he signed him as a centre back. He is a warrior, a fighter, a leader. A good character, a good player, but he has been a great one since he came home.

At the age of 30, an unexpected chance to play for his club, in front of his people, could not be turned down. It was a dream he thought had died. Now he lives it every day and is loving every second of it.

A career starting at Darlington, on to Fulham, then Wigan before he finally made it to the Premier League at Brighton was good, but it was not this. It was not dancing in the dressing room in front of the television cameras, good.

In their biggest game of the season so far, under pressure, in a Carabao Cup quarter final they were expected to win, Newcastle delivered in style. They did not just beat Leicester, they outclassed and outplayed them.

On 10/01/2023 at 10:50, filbertway said:

Still not sure how he wasn't picked up by anyone before us. I remember watching him for us in the championship and had never seen anything like it in a Leicester shirt, the first time you see his touch, "that must have been a fluke". Best first touch in the game.

My favourite goal will always be the one against Man City at their gaff in 15/16, always the one that sticks out in my mind.

I remember hearing an ex footballer (can't remember who) on talksport or something saying he played against Leicester at the KP in the Championship and came across Mahrez. He said "I thought to myself who is this and what is he doing at Leicester, he should be playing for Barcelona".

• Haha 1

Lordy. I thought the Florist fans would have plenty of opportunity to rubbish our team (and praise theirs) after the performance.

Instead of which they revert to "we were big in the 80s and won the Euro Cup you know?" mode.  

Leicester Fan Comments. Post Match | LTLF Forest Forum

Otis.......I didn't feel at all embarrassed when I WATCHED us win the European Cup twice (LIVE). Very few clubs will EVER do this, never mind Leicester fans.

Edited by SkidsFox

6 minutes ago, SkidsFox said:

Lordy. I thought the Florist fans would have plenty of opportunity to rubbish our team (and praise theirs) after the performance.

Instead of which they revert to "we were big in the 80s and won the Euro Cup you know?" mode.  

Leicester Fan Comments. Post Match | LTLF Forest Forum

Not sure why anyone would want to read anything from that site at the moment.

At least we can put the whole “they don’t care about us “ thing to bed now given their wild reactions to beating us again

9 minutes ago, MattFox said:

Not sure why anyone would want to read anything from that site at the moment.

At least we can put the whole “they don’t care about us “ thing to bed now given their wild reactions to beating us again

I'm still clinging to the hope that they go down, we stay up and don't play them again for another decade or so!

On 11/01/2023 at 13:33, Gerard said:

Really enjoyed that!

On 11/01/2023 at 13:33, Gerard said:

I do miss performances like this !

40 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

This piece is about Everton. 

But you'll get why I'm posting it in this thread.

Everton protests are not about money, they are about hope and connection | Everton | The Guardian

Those days are gone forever, over a long time ago.

She's correct and sadly the women's game is already following in the PLs footsteps.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jonthefox said:

Is that the same bloke on the YouTube thread?. Annoying fecker if it is.

Such a condescending twat. Awkward for the sake of being awkward even though he’s not technically breaking any laws. 

• Like 1