Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

8 hours ago, davieG said:

https://www.sportbible.com/football/mark-clattenburg-denies-danny-simpson-claims-leicester-912393-20230303

Mark Clattenburg is considering legal action over allegations made by Danny Simpson
Jack Kenmare

Published 14:17, 03 March 2023 GMT
| Last updated 14:16, 03 March 2023 GMT

Mark Clattenburg is considering legal action over allegations made by Danny Simpson

Former referee Mark Clattenburg has strongly denied claims that he refused to send off a Leicester player because he wanted them to win the Premier League title in 2015/16.

Earlier this week, former Foxes defender Danny Simpson made the following comments about Clattenburg during an appearance on the Under the Cosh podcast.

He said: “I remember Clattenburg, mate. Wow. I think he should have sent someone away. He said something like, ‘I should have sent you there, but I want you to win.’

“Dude, that was crazy. That was crazy, you know, I swear to god. Good job there is no VAR but yes. I had to pretend I didn’t hear it. I was laughing my bollocks off inside and I thought, ‘Yeah, we’re doing this.’

“I think it was Drinky [Danny Drinkwater] actually. It was his second yellow or something and he could’ve easily sent him off but he didn’t.”

Simpson, who played an integral part in Leicester's historic Premier League title win, making 30 appearances, mentioned former England international Danny Drinkwater as the player who was allegedly involved.

But Clattenburg took charge of four matches Leicester games during the 2015/16 campaign and in that time, he did not book Drinkwater once.

In fact, the only booking he gave out during the title run-in was to defender Robert Huth, who was handed a yellow card during their 4-0 win against Swansea.

Clattenburg has since hit back at Simpson's claims and is now considering legal action.

"I fully deny the allegations made by Danny Simpson," the 47-year-old told the Daily Mail. "I find them preposterous. They are very serious and could question my integrity.

"To suggest I told a player that I wanted Leicester to win the league is ridiculous. It would have been picked up by our microphones.

"I did not book Danny Drinkwater during that season. His claims have absolutely no substance and I have no idea why, seven years later, he has chosen to say this. The matter is now with my lawyer."

During the podcast, Simpson also opened up about how an interaction with Cristiano Ronaldo helped his date with 'Miss California'.

After celebrating Leicester's incredible title win, Simpson was part of the Foxes squad that travelled to Los Angeles for a pre-season tour.

I'll let him tell the rest of the story.

"Meets Miss California right, start having dinner and I swear to god it was going w**k," Simpson said. "She must've been thinking: 'who's this lad, I can't understand what he's saying he's from Salford'.

"It was painful right, but anyway it weren't going great and I got a little tap on my shoulder. I've looked up and it's only (Cristiano) Ronaldo. He's gone 'Simmo' and I've gone 'Ronny!'

"I've got up and given him a little hug and that. Anyway we had a little chat because we're obviously in pre-season and he's won the Euros (with Portugal) so he's on an extended break."

Simpson added: "As soon as his interaction with Ronaldo finished, Simpson's fortunes changed dramatically and he claims his date's demeanor was very different.

"I've sat back down and she's gone 'how do you know Ronaldo?'

"I've played it down and said 'I used to play with him' like it was nothing. From that second she completely changed.

"Honestly it was literally a completely different person all because Ronaldo said hello to me so cheers Ronny."

Think it's a bit werid he said that what was he trying to gain? It's disgusting and disrespectful to us. Just cos he wants to stay relevant. Hugely disappointed with him as I really liked him. If the refs didn't hate us already 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TeamRocket said:

Think it's a bit werid he said that what was he trying to gain? It's disgusting and disrespectful to us. Just cos he wants to stay relevant. Hugely disappointed with him as I really liked him. If the refs didn't hate us already 

Probably for money and to write a book, football heroes do tend to be the worst kind of people sometimes but you can guarantee it will be something that benefits him.

• Like 3

On 03/03/2023 at 08:57, FoxTimmy2 said:

Saints fans looking pumped for Saturdays game.

0DA10ED4-18F7-4E61-AC0E-BDD7E295187A.thumb.jpeg.9c9a7d04ba91dec7ee1484aa8c370e97.jpeg24D0A850-A016-4F76-B90B-B13BBDB6B900.thumb.jpeg.1ffd56050005490a0ffe05b63f8755d3.jpeg

I love it’s considered extra embarrassing if you can’t score against Ward.

Unfortunately the jokes on us if he gets us relegated. :D

Edited by Mike1983

15 hours ago, TeamRocket said:

I'm with you and 100% Clattenberg on this.

Its a ridiculous thing to say and a pretty low way to gain publicity. The conspiracy theorists have crawled out of the woodwork too though at least I find them slightly entertaining due to the laughable delusion.

Edited by Nalis
  • Like 1

On 03/03/2023 at 16:09, South Shire Fox said:

Pretty embarrassing comparison tbf

Agree but let’s face it our home and away support in numbers may be similar to Villa, Wolves and Forest but if you look at it vocally they comfortably outsing us. 

On 03/03/2023 at 09:32, Captain... said:

Is Harry who emailed the guardian football weekly on here?

They read out his email absolutely slamming Rodgers after the Blackburn game, pretty brutal assessment of our predicament.

We may never know but just from the way it was written, I could tell he must be a fiercely intelligent and devastatingly handsome man

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Can't stand Sutton and Savage but listened to 606 last night, just out of interest as to whether they were discussing our situation, in the main they didn't, they had one 3 minute caller on, tbh he didn't put up great arguments and even I was cringing, Sutton and Savage were saying "Yeah but who do you replace Rodgers with", the caller couldn't answer them so they were clearly WUMing him saying "Well you can't replace him with no-one".

As I say the caller wasn't too eloquent in what he was saying. I wouldn't necessarily mind Sutton and Savage's WUMing....If they hadn't just done a whole section on West Ham/Moyes and why it'd be ok for him to be sacked and why he needs and should be replaced literally before taking a caller from the Leicester fan.

Quite the turn around from Sutton though, he's gone from slagging Rodgers off for leaving his beloved Celtic in the Scottish Pub League to being his biggest fan, I'd have expected him to be piling on, claiming 'I told you so' or atleast some smugness of how bad it's going.

Edited by Matt

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Listening to 606 last night - Can't stand Sutton and Savage but just out of interest as to whether they were discussing our situation, in the main they didn't, they had one 3 minute caller on, tbh he didn't put up great arguments and even I was cringing, Sutton and Savage were saying "Yeah but who do you replace Rodgers with", the caller couldn't answer them so they were clearly WUMing him saying "Well you can't replace him with no-one".

As I say the caller wasn't too eloquent in what he was saying. I wouldn't necessarily mind Sutton and Savage's WUMing....If they hadn't just done a whole section on West Ham/Moyes and why it'd be ok for him to be sacked and why he needs and should be replaced literally before taking a caller from the Leicester fan.

Quite the turn around from Sutton though, he's gone from slagging Rodgers off for leaving his beloved Celtic in the Scottish Pub League to being his biggest fan, I'd have expected him to be piling on, claiming 'I told you so' or atleast some smugness of how bad it's going.

I’ve had a quick look at other forums of teams around us where they have ‘Relegation’ threads and nobody seems to even be putting us in the question. Whether it’s a reverse psychology thing from them or if the wider football world is just so ignorant to how shit we are I don’t know!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

I’ve had a quick look at other forums of teams around us where they have ‘Relegation’ threads and nobody seems to even be putting us in the question. Whether it’s a reverse psychology thing from them or if the wider football world is just so ignorant to how shit we are I don’t know!

Crazy isn't it.

Last week bookies put posts on social media with relegation odds, we weren't even listed. 

We've gone from being the unfashionable forgotten team who we're always 'at it', causing upsets and bloodying noses to being so beige and boring we're literally the forgotten team.

I know which I prefer.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

Crazy isn't it.

Last week bookies put posts on social media with relegation odds, we weren't even listen.

We've gone from being the unfashionable forgotten team who we're always 'at it', causing upsets and bloodying noses to being so beige and boring we're literally the forgotten team.

I see us mentioned but in the lazy ‘Leicester are too good to go down’. The response of lazy people who known just parrot cliches and have no actual knowledge of the club they are talking about. 

Unfortunately many of our ‘fan’ fit into this category too…

• Like 1

We are weirdly overrated in the media. Don't even feature in most discussions about relegation beyond a quick 'Leicester will be fine'. Even that super computer analysis that came out last week calculated our statistical chance of relegation as being considerably lower than any of the teams around us. It's very odd.

From what I'm seeing we are in huge trouble. We have the worst goalkeeper in the league (or maybe second worst after after seeing Bazunu), a mistake ridden defence, a central midfield shorn of its only playmaker for weeks, a right winger 'saviour' who is getting worse by the week, a worryingly inconsistent centre forward who is our only option because the other 2 alternatives look like they will never score another goal. We ended last night's game with Praet and Maddison on the wings FFS.

And to top things off, this is all overseen by a busted flush of a manager who continues to believe - against overwhelming evidence - that we have the players to play possession-based football like Man City effectively when we clearly don't, and who is simply unable to motivate the players any more. Our mentality in any pressure game towards the end of the season can be guaranteed to be as weak as the proverbial. 

So all in all, you have to feel very worried about our predicament.

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Southampton boss Ruben Selles believes his side are "still alive" as they climbed off the foot of the Premier League table with a vital victory over Leicester City.

On a day that saw five away defeats for relegation-threatened clubs, Saints and Wolves were Saturday's big winners.

The bottom nine are now separated by just six points before Nottingham Forest's match with Everton on Sunday, as the Premier League relegation looks set for a tight finish.

Premier League table from 12th to 20th

'We are fighting together' - Saints and Wolves get precious wins

"I think every point, every three points helps for us," said Selles to the BBC's Match of the Day after Southampton moved to within a point of a position of Premier League safety with their 1-0 win over Leicester.

"We are fighting together, playing together, doing things together. That's the way to get out of relegation," he added.

Southampton's win was was just their second at home this season and ended a run of five straight losses at St Mary's across all competitions.

There was also joy for Wolves who, thanks to an Adama Traore winner eight minutes from time, went up to 13th, six points off the bottom three, with a narrow victory over Tottenham.

"There are eight or nine teams fighting for the same thing," said midfielder Ruben Neves after the match.

"We are not the worst when we lose a game and we are not the best when we win."

'We probably need 40 points' - Leicester and West Ham in deep trouble

Southampton 1-0 Leicester: Foxes deserved more after defeat - Brendan Rodgers

As Saints and Wolves rise, Leicester fall. Since the Premier League resumed after the World Cup, the Foxes have picked up just seven points from 10 matches.

"I don't think right up until the mid-table are any teams thinking they're safe," Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers told BBC Match of the Day with his side three points clear of the drop zone.

I couldn't care HOW..even if we sh*thouse it...We have to stay up..!!

Within my "other club friends" (12)

Only one thinks we will/sort of go down...

We did everything right to score 3-4 goals,some of our play looked good..

Barnes had to be ripped..

Though I will always start him..

Generally it's weird, it seems few think we won't get the points,but more from my experience believe we will in the end comfortably survive..

We need our players to stand up,and find their own game, and not be dragged down, but pull each other up.

If those chances had been taken,the rest of our game would of gone up a notch..

11 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Southampton boss Ruben Selles believes his side are "still alive" as they climbed off the foot of the Premier League table with a vital victory over Leicester City.

On a day that saw five away defeats for relegation-threatened clubs, Saints and Wolves were Saturday's big winners.

The bottom nine are now separated by just six points before Nottingham Forest's match with Everton on Sunday, as the Premier League relegation looks set for a tight finish.

Premier League table from 12th to 20th

'We are fighting together' - Saints and Wolves get precious wins

"I think every point, every three points helps for us," said Selles to the BBC's Match of the Day after Southampton moved to within a point of a position of Premier League safety with their 1-0 win over Leicester.

"We are fighting together, playing together, doing things together. That's the way to get out of relegation," he added.

Southampton's win was was just their second at home this season and ended a run of five straight losses at St Mary's across all competitions.

There was also joy for Wolves who, thanks to an Adama Traore winner eight minutes from time, went up to 13th, six points off the bottom three, with a narrow victory over Tottenham.

"There are eight or nine teams fighting for the same thing," said midfielder Ruben Neves after the match.

"We are not the worst when we lose a game and we are not the best when we win."

'We probably need 40 points' - Leicester and West Ham in deep trouble

Southampton 1-0 Leicester: Foxes deserved more after defeat - Brendan Rodgers

As Saints and Wolves rise, Leicester fall. Since the Premier League resumed after the World Cup, the Foxes have picked up just seven points from 10 matches.

"I don't think right up until the mid-table are any teams thinking they're safe," Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers told BBC Match of the Day with his side three points clear of the drop zone.

Today Forest Everton, a draw would be perfect...

Guest Fox99
On 03/03/2023 at 17:11, Fox92 said:

Southampton used to. And I once questioned this on twitter, on one of those "Southampton fans at Leicester" pictures, and one of their fans said their ticket office refuse to take full allocations at some places now, which they found weird.

In terms of ourselves, our numbers are generally good. It's just the noise where we lack. But then again I've not been impressed with to many opposition fans anyway. Spurs were shit the other week, even when winning, and they've usually always been loud. Manchester City are the best team in the Country and I find their away support shit.

Late reply to this @Fox92 but didn't realise that, I just assumed Southampton were one of those clubs who didn't take the full allocation. Thinking about it now, seem to recall they did sell out the away end in the great escape season? Agree also on our fans, numbers fine but noise is a problem. The latter is being masked somewhat by the current predicament but it's an issue regardless.

Guest Fox99
On 03/03/2023 at 15:49, Muzzy_no7 said:

Nah we comfortably have better fans/support than Brighton, Brentford, So’ton, Bournemouth and Fulham. 

On 04/03/2023 at 16:42, Muzzy_no7 said:

Agree but let’s face it our home and away support in numbers may be similar to Villa, Wolves and Forest but if you look at it vocally they comfortably outsing us. 

@Muzzy_no7 makes a good point here and one which I agree with. It's clear we're not in the same category as the clubs on the first post, yet compared to the clubs in the second post there seems to be a significant difference when it comes to noise.